Wilches

To Stephen1918... again!

On 13.12.2021 at 11:13 PM, Wilches said:

Hi Sir! I´m almost sure that this plane came across your mind one day. It´s badly needed.

Nice plane, but ... a loser plane. An example of how competent PR can make candy even from shit.

However, the modest participation of "Balilla" in the Soviet-Polish war was perhaps the brightest page in the history of this aircraft.

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/fww1/a1.html

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/ansaldoa1_aiv.html

9b6e4a48134635a87d406b08ee59e49e.thumb.jpg.904c3a3767d9790d513d061f1ef464eb.jpg

Ansaldo-A.1-Ballila.Shema..thumb.jpg.8ea03f4f9b0b15cc2fb253e4e702484f.jpg

Edited by Crawford
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

For those who are interested in flying the Ansaldo, there is an old model from 2009 by Laton available for FE/FE2 - the tweaked FM/data ini for it is available in my big ver. 9.9 FM update pack. A few yrs. back Mike Dora (I think?) came up with a fix that got rid of a white patch/square near the propeller hub on that Ansaldo too - all possible fixes were included in the data ini tweak available in the relevant FM update pack. The Ansaldo was one of the fastest WWI aircraft (230 kph top speed near SL, or thereabouts) but, as Crawford has indicated, not the most maneuverable.

Since this is turning into a wish list for new aircraft for FE2 :biggrin: - here are a few that I would (ideally) like to see, eventually, somewhere in the production line:

Fokker D.I (with inline engine and the vertical tail fin that sits in front of the round comma-shaped rudder)

Fokker D.V (yes that one, possibly used in small numbers in combat)

Fokker D.VI (maybe, an interesting variant but if I had to choose between the D.VI and D.V, I would go with the D.V since it has a nice spinner and interesting wing shapes/arrangement)

Pfalz Dr.I (yes I know that there is an A-team one available, and I've tweaked the FM for that one in my FM update packs --- but that model is old and somewhat blocky-looking)

On the Entente side, the only one that pops to mind and that I would like to see is the Morane-Saulnier Type I (with scalloped trailing edges on wings, and with the Vickers M.G. -- the one used largely by the Imperial Russ. Air Service, even more so than the earlier Type N).

Anyway happy flying all (also happy holidays to fellow FE2-ers if I don't post again before the new year),

Von S :drinks:

• Like 1

Hey VonS! The Ansaldo you mentioned it´s not the Balilla. The Fokker D.VI is another missing plane for sure.

32 minutes ago, Wilches said:

Hey VonS! The Ansaldo you mentioned it´s not the Balilla. The Fokker D.VI is another missing plane for sure.

Correct, that is the SVA5 variant that Laton did many years ago. The Balilla had slightly worse performance than the SVA5 (about 10 kph slower top speed and slightly slower rate of climb). Surprising, however, is that the Balilla seems to have been produced longer than the SVA5 - well into the 1920s.

Happy flying all,

Von S :smile:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, VonS said:

The Balilla had slightly worse performance than the SVA5 (about 10 kph slower top speed and slightly slower rate of climb).

The Balilla was fast, but inert, clumsy and difficult to fly. In fact, it did not correspond to the tactics of "dogfighting" on the turns that prevailed then. The plane sharply lost altitude on turns and could hardly get out of the dive -  this became the cause of many disasters.
And if we add a very capricious engine to this "bouquet", then the picture will become quite sad... Fortunately, in FE our engines are always reliable  :biggrin:

13 hours ago, VonS said:

Surprising, however, is that the Balilla seems to have been produced longer than the SVA5 - well into the 1920s.

This is so, but not quite so. :smile:  As for the Balilla, after WWI it was produced only by the Poles in 1921-1924. The Polish copy turned out to be even more unsuccessful than the original, so only 57 aircraft were built instead of the originally ordered 100. Already in 1925 the Balillas began to be removed from service and replaced with the SPAD-51. The last Balilla were written off by the Poles in 1927.

• Like 2

We also need the  Roland Walfisch it is long overdue !!!!

Edited by RUSTYMORLEY
  • Like 1

Please, Please, Please.

Would be so nice to have this gracing the skies in FE . !!!

Roland Walfisch.jpg

7 hours ago, Crawford said:

Fortunately, in FE our engines are always reliable  :biggrin:

Yes, :biggrin: this has been a vexing problem in the FE/FE2 series owing to the nature of the TW sim. engine - WOFF has some random engine unreliability thrown in which is a nice addition (and engine cutoff in negative Gs), but ROF probably has even more realism in that department (with over-revving damage and other engine problems) - although I think that we have overall better FMs than those other two sims (lack of dangerous, sustained spins in WOFF, too much turbulence over-amplification in ROF, etc.). If I ever stumble on some way of introducing engine unreliability into the FE series, I will of course post here --- ideally, I would like to introduce such a feature, if possible, using one of the general ini files that would include parameters for all aircraft --- since it would be cumbersome to implement such tweaks per data ini file.

Cheers all,

Von S

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RUSTYMORLEY said:

Please, Please, Please.

Would be so nice to have this gracing the skies in FE . !!!

We already have it.

61ba4c157e9a9_WalfischwithLewis.thumb.jpg.65726ad2950fedac735c80d7ea77f1a9.jpg

True, this is an outdated model by Capun (the A-Team Skunkworks) with an ugly rear gunner. Of course, we could use a more realistic modern model, but where can we get it? :dntknw:

Edited by Crawford

On 12/15/2021 at 8:10 PM, Crawford said:

We already have it.

61ba4c157e9a9_WalfischwithLewis.thumb.jpg.65726ad2950fedac735c80d7ea77f1a9.jpg

True, this is an outdated model by Capun (the A-Team Skunkworks) with an ugly rear gunner. Of course, we could use a more realistic modern model, but where can we get it? :dntknw:

I assume this is a model for use with First Eagles 2.  Sadly I am still stuck with first generation offerings.  Perhaps Stephen 1918 will one day get round to delivering a much better version of this model for use with both  FE 1 &  FE 2. I think we will have a bit of a wait though, I sent him a personal message a long time ago asking for this particular machine but as usual he was so busy with other projects. I guess if we want to see a good version of this baby we will just have to wait until his workload drops of a bit.

(And if you are reading this post Stephen 1918, is there any chance of you bumping this one nearer to the top of your long list.) Please. :good:  

On 17.12.2021 at 9:38 PM, RUSTYMORLEY said:

I assume this is a model for use with First Eagles 2.  Sadly I am still stuck with first generation offerings.

In vain do you assume so. This is a fairly old model created as an addition to the 1-st generation game.

Not perfect, of course. But in three versions: the early "Walfisch" (without a course machine gun), then the version used by Richthofen ( a field mod with an asynchronous machine gun firing over the propeller) and - a later version with a synchronous machine gun. :smile:

Edited by Crawford

13 hours ago, Crawford said:

In vain do you assume so. This is a fairly old model created as an addition to the 1-st generation game.

Not perfect, of course. But in three versions: the early "Walfisch" (without a course machine gun), then the version used by Richthofen ( a field mod with an asynchronous machine gun firing over the propeller) and - a later version with a synchronous machine gun. :smile:

Ah Well.......... I can only continue to dream that one day my desire will be fulfilled. As to when..... is anybody's guess. :dntknw:

18 hours ago, RUSTYMORLEY said:

Ah Well.......... I can only continue to dream that one day my desire will be fulfilled. As to when..... is anybody's guess. :dntknw:

Why not? It is quite possible that someone will come up with a bright idea to create a new model of the "Walfisch" for FE. Now we have to take our hats off to Stephen, because with Geezer gone, he is actually the only Modder who creates models for FE. From what I understand, Stephen has quite a few plans on his list, but he only has two hands. In addition, he does not like very much when he is "kicked in the back" and being rushed. .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crawford said:

Why not? It is quite possible that someone will come up with a bright idea to create a new model of the "Walfisch" for FE. Now we have to take our hats off to Stephen, because with Geezer gone, he is actually the only Modder who creates models for FE. From what I understand, Stephen has quite a few plans on his list, but he only has two hands. In addition, he does not like very much when he is "kicked in the back" and being rushed. .

Check your message box............ And Thanks. :good: