epower

DiD IV Campaign - Flight reports & Player instructions

Karls Diary

When back in Porcher,there was heated conversation between our commander Debrodt and Oberleutnant Oskar Henke.

Henkes claim,Morane Bullet was rejected.Lack of eyewitnesses.Henke was only one in this squadron who has confirmed victory.

May be he gets more chance add to tally it!

Viktor and i were ordered to enter the commander's room.

We get the instructions for tomorrow.

Again photo reconnaissance mission.Must to find enemys batteries that we can make counter-batteries for it.

It is somewhere near Pont-A-Mous.

Finally when everything was clear Debrodt pointed out:Get your slimy dog out here!

I smiled when we leave at room.My darling dane hund Fritz followed me everywhere.It is slimy at all but eat my to ruin.My all daily allowance consumes it in food.

June 4

Aviatik lift once again to the sky.

AA has awaken!

Shot01-06-22-22-44-59(3).thumb.jpg.1df01acccba0d6ef195cbae154dcd7e3.jpg

Ruins of Pont-A-Mous

Photos are taken via road and edge of forest .Batteries should be there.

Light AA but not big harm.

Safely home.

Great opening reports gents - looking forward to more. An excellent initial entry Raine - I particularly like the interlude about Mr. Cust (reminds one of the clumsy Mr. Toad from Wind in the Willows).

Happy DiDing all,

Von S :smile:

I can see some great stories getting started! Ripping yarns gents!

Karls Diary

image.jpeg.8b3c7f63350242a9843d4da41a5cf3ea.jpeg

Fritz and Karl,Porcher June 1915

image.png.dbdbb650782c4532c5cde697aedae4c6.png

Viktor and Karl      June 1915

• Like 2

June 5

Photo recon mission trenches near Verdun.

Weather was rainy,thick clouds.

Shot01-07-22-00-17-37.thumb.jpg.b343a19d5f57331fbd172ef6e09cb129.jpg

Trenches are black stripes.Note an explosion in horizon!

Weak visibility overall.

Karls Diary

Viktor left 10-days leave and i went on a flight course to Koblenz.

My next mission(photo mission enemy battery)would be 12th June.

My observer is Leutnant Helmut Steeger.

Shot01-07-22-16-36-32.thumb.jpg.2120cfa0245068d15889359824ae8da8.jpg

Between Thiaucort and Pont-A-Mous,one village which could not recognise.

Our artillery shoots!

Shot01-07-22-16-37-04.thumb.jpg.29d002e37b7d04783c72160b20cb6b1f.jpg

• Like 1

Karls Diary

13 June

Photo mission to railway station,Reims.

Shot01-07-22-16-33-45.thumb.jpg.d5478c7d7dd83d2210e8f57cd8dee858.jpg

No AA.

Porcher,busy day!

Shot01-07-22-16-10-55.thumb.jpg.60a891272edbba9cd5462d51f0bdeaa3.jpg

Lack of maintenance parts,next flight would be 23th day.

My partner Viktor made crash landing when he was returning his leave.

His injuries were fortunately mild.He spend recovery time in Metz at field hospital.

Actual mourning came 18th day because our hero Max Immelmann died.

His example has led me to consider moving to a fighter pilot.

June 23

Photo recon find to batteries near Verdun

Safely home

I'm enjoying all the reports - thank you!

June 11-22 St. Pol-Sur-Mer

In the last ten days, I have flown about 10 hours over the front and behind enemy lines.   The Archie has been more active, and the Hun are getting their eye in. This means it's a rare sight for any of us to come home unscathed.  My singing companion is a firm friend now, we chuckle and sing together and most of the time this seems more like a jolly trip than a war.

medium.61d87e254cb7a_CFS32022-01-0716-31

However, after some dismal days that had grounded us, we were airborne on the 22nd.  After we had returned from an hours flight on our side of the lines I was just mooching in the Office, minding my own busy when our one and only phone rang. It was an urgent call from First Army HQ to locate some artillery that was causing our infantry a great deal of discomfort.  'A' fight was still up with the boss and 'B' had just landed - but Jefferson and I were happy to turn around and get straight up over the lines.  After about thirty minutes of flying as low as we dared over the Boch lines, we spotted the offending artillery, close to a deserted farmhouse. Jefferson made some detailed drawings on our map.  The Germans were undeniably unhappyto be spied on by us and fired everything they had at us, rifles, revolvers even a machine gun.  One bullet actually penetrated the hull of our BE2 and hit my boot! To my relief, the bullet was lodged in the lining of my right boot. I was uninjured but it put the 'wind up' us somewhat.  At that point, we felt we'd used up our luck and skedaddled back to our side of the lines slowly as the wind was against us all the way.

large.61d88ecc459c9_lakefarm.jpg.3903077

We made a landing close to our lines and met in the mud a tremendous Artillary lieutenant called Tyrrel Hawker. He was an absolutely charming fellow, making us feel right at home with a cup of steaming tea. He was very grateful for our assistance and contacted HQ on his wireless set. It turns out He is Lanoe Hawker's brother. Hawker is in the RFC and an incredible pilot, warrior and inventor.  Leaving the army chaps in their trench we headed home and were treated to one of the Good Lord's finest displays, the mesmerizing setting sun playing on a gentle sea.

As we landed the C.O. rushed out to us beaming from ear to ear.  A general from First Army HQ had called and wanted to thank personally RNAS-1 for its brave pilots. Particularly those who had located the Hun guns that afternoon!  The C.O. chest was puffed to bursting.  "Don't get that often from the Army Chaps Heh!" He beamed, "Well done!"

medium.61d8952193020_CFS32022-01-0719-24

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paroni1 said:

German telegram 25 June:

We have suffered a great loss:Feldwebel  von Tabbert and Leutnant Steeger died when their Aviatik crashed to the woods North of Verdun.

it is not yet clear whether the collision was caused by damage done by the enemy or was it due to the inexperience of the pilot.61d89e14a48d1_indexavi.jpg.df81d0d5b765d7dc0d381e3aba4cdbe4.jpgarticle-2397887-1B6082F8000005DC-52_964x670.jpg.5d48a1e0ac19a5f4a45b1bbf9b41e51b.jpg

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Paroni1 said:

We have suffered a great loss:Feldwebel  von Tabbert and Leutnant Steeger died when their Aviatik crashed to the woods North of Verdun.

it is not yet clear whether the collision was caused by damage done by the enemy or was it due to the inexperience of the pilot.

Oh No!!! I'm so sorry to hear about Viktor. such sad news!  I hate it when a pilot dies. What will happen to his dog?

Take care my friend

Ouch! A pilot goes down. Sorry for your loss Paroni. Saddle back up and join again. I think Carrick and myself were the leaders in dead pilots the last go round. 

Sgt. Elijah Gallagher                            
June, 1915.  
8 RFC

The weather had been horrible for a week The Major had been called away and Capt. Goon, my observer, was acting commander in his absence. Capt. Denton would be my observer for the near future. Gallagher was taken aback when Denton had informed him he was “happy to be in the company of a fine pilot.” Denton then proceeded to tell him Capt. Goon assured him that he would “be in good hands.”    
Gallagher was thankful of the compliment and told Denton that he “Hoped he would live up to the Capt. Goons praise.”

Once the weather had cleared Gallagher was assigned to fly with Ltn.  Chambers to bomb Phaliempin aerodrome. With the added weight of bombs they would be flying without observers. Gallagher was glad to be back in the sky. It was a beautiful day, made more so by the previous week of bad weather. “Form up close near the target and release your bombs when I do” Chambers had told him. Gallagher knew the territory by now but this would be his first trip over the lines. As they crossed the lines, Archie came up to greet them. He was used to it now, or he thought he was. As they neared the target the sky all around turned into hell. Not only was it accurate but thick. With one hand on the stick and the other ready to release the bombs, he did his best to hold the BE straight. As soon as he saw Chambers release his bombs, Gallagher did the same. The BE immediately lifted higher without the extra weight and the turned for home. Glancing over the side Gallagher could see 2 holes on the field and a burning building. He didn’t know who hit what but it sure felt good to be actually doing some damage to the enemy!

Safely back at home they were given a hardy congratulations by Goon when Chambers had reported the damage. 

• Like 2

23 June 1915 St Pol-sur-mer 0500
The C.O. Christopher Cleaver, standing ramrod straight and impeccably dressed, briefed us. “Morning Gentlemen, hope you slept well after the fun and games last night. I’ll be flying with ‘B’ today” He began. “Our mission is a patrol deep into Hunland, we believe there is a large troop movement near Lager Abchnitt. Headquarters wants information, details and timings as soon as possible. You’ll have noticed that the Huns are not happy with us crossing their lines and are taking every opportunity to shoot at us with Archie and ground fire. Let’s be careful. And look sharp!”

With that we strode with purpose across the dewy airfield to our waiting warmed-up aircraft and look to the azure skies. We spent 20 minutes. Climbing over our airfield, the ground crew and airfield paraphernalia becoming smaller and smaller each minute. It was another good flying day, only a few majestic clouds above us and a light breeze to hinder our return.

large.61d87e363cb28_CFS32022-01-0716-38-

We crossed the lines without incident and Cleaver set a course for Lager Abschnitt. As we were closing on the Archie that surrounds Ghistelles airfield I spotted two small dots flying directly towards us and slightly lower. It was far too early for our chaps to be heading home. Thinking it must be German Aircraft I cursed myself for forgetting my rifle. As we began to close I could clearly see the black crosses and quickly identified two Aviatiks flying within 500 yards of us.

I couldn’t bear the thought of those Huns either photographing or bombing our chaps so Jefferson and I turned to engage. Diving between them Jefferson started shooting. The noise was deafening! I hadn’t quite appreciated how close the Lewis was to my head and very quickly my face was covered in black soot and the cockpit filled with the wonderful smell of cordite.

Jefferson and I worked as a team, him telling me where to fly and taking wonderful shots at them me manoeuvring for all I’m worth, dodging puffs of menacing Archie and lining up our BE2. After about 5 minutes of shooting and dodging Ghistelles’ flak one of the Aviatiks, either damaged or scared stiff by our plucky antics retreated east. But the other fellow wasn’t for quitting. So again and again we dived and turned and turned and climbed on the other Aviatik. At one point Jefferson swears I looped the BE2 - maybe he's right, I was lost in the dance - though I’m told it’s impossible. (5:30-5:45 in the video below)

After about twenty minutes of this Jefferson shouted above the wind in the wires, “We’ve hit the cads engine!” Sure enough, his prop was stubbornly still, his engine seized, he was hors de combat and descending towards Ghistelles.

We closed on the hapless Hun, Jefferson taking the odd pot shot just to make sure. “Cut it out Jefferson ” I shouted, “We’re sailors, not bloody butchers!” The Aviakit landed softly. As we flew over the stunned Germans we could see the observer clutching his shoulder and appearing in pain. The pilot grimaced as we flew by cheering and making hideous soot-stained faces at the vanquished foes.

It felt like a huge victory. Our first aircraft downed and one forced to retreat with its tail between its legs, unable to fulfil its mission. The squadron crowded around us, cheering as we landed and we told the incredible tales of our cunning and heroics.

large.61d87e0917c10_CFS32022-01-0717-02-

An incredibly good day!

Edited by Sebtoombs
  • Like 2

I thought the same thing as the Morane fighters approached Verdun above!

Seb, first blood! Good on ya’ mate! 

End of June Stats.      
Sgt. Elijah A Gallagher.        
8 RFC, Bovichove, Flanders.     
7 missions     10 hours

Edited by Mfair621

Oh boy, everybody has been so busy flying DID! And we have our first losses and victories too! No mean feat scoring a kill when flying these early war crates, so congrats Seb!

Excellent reading and pics everybody. I look forward to more. Raine in particular is off to a great start with his pilot's story, but he's definitely not the only one.

The story of Auguste Besson continues...

The War Diary of Auguste Besson, Escadrille MS. 23

June is turning into July and at this point, it should have become obvious to everybody that this war is not going to be over anytime soon. I have been meaning to start a diary of my war experiences for many months now, but something always seemed to get in the way. Well, here we are! This Great War is without a doubt a turning point in the history of our civilization, and I owe it to future generations to leave some record of the small part I had to play in the great events of these times. (Sounds pompous, but my purpose is noble!)

I arrived at the airbase of Esc. MS. 23, located in the commune of Lahoussoye, on June 1, 1915. The area is located roughly northeast of Amiens along the Amiens-Albert road. To the south flows the river Somme. The region is densely populated and distance to the frontlines around Albert is about 20-30 km – close enough that we can hear the guns, but far enough to be safe from them. The escadrille is equipped with two-seater Morane Parasol monoplanes – the pilot sits in the front under the protection of a single wing (which does resemble a parasol!) and the observer sits behind his back, facing rear, armed with a gun. It’s a decent enough machine with very sensitive controls, unless there’s a malfunction in its 80 hp Le Rhône rotary engine. Fortunately this engine type is quite reliable!

There are hangars for the machines and proper housing for the pilots and observers. Currently we have eight of both, sixteen flight personnel in total, that is. Compared to life in the trenches, we are a very privileged lot indeed! Even the ground crew live comfortably, and there’s a whole company of them.

A taxi from Amiens brought me to the field, where I reported to the commanding officer, Captain Schlumberger, at noon. The captain welcomed me with a firm handshake. He’s a veteran pilot from pre-war days, and has been in the air service since its creation in 1912. After paperwork and other necessary formalities, the captain gave me a tour of the field and introduced me to his subordinates. Most machines were on a mission, so it was only later in the day that I was able to meet all of the pilots and observers. It’s a mixed bunch of officers and NCO’s. Some of the fellows are rather eccentric, but I’ve learned that is perfectly normal, and in fact something to be expected in this peculiar field of business. Everybody was more than welcoming, so I had an easy time of finding my place in this unit. The real challenges waited for me elsewhere!

7FI6WsQ.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED...

• Like 3

The story of a pilot

Sous Lieutenant Armand Bertil Bouchant

MC48006_Frenchy2a.thumb.jpg.f48e206fe37440f161d90fe66793784c.jpg

crash-656502.jpg.334bef1a63e967735c9fa50bf02f7bde.jpg

Born in Rouen 8\6 1896.Son of a winery ,he expected to continue his father's work.
But then came a summer 1914 and everything changed.He served in the cavalry and took part of Plan XVII.
The end result was so murderous and terrifying that Armand decided to join Aeronautique Militaire.
After a long training and many crash landings Armand was commanded to Escadrille MS 15 at Bryas Aerodrome.
  • Like 2

June 30

Armand's Diary

Lovely place this Bryas.I was well received.Maybe it was because i brought a box of champagne!

No much time to get acquainted with the new machine.Tomorrow is the first combat flight.

My observer is Lieutenant Jean Perron.Our craft is Morane Saulnier L.

Observer uses the only weapon.

1A1182101XXXIV021_(15101857488)_(cropped).thumb.jpg.1f9c3fe762ac893775d2cf778939c6ec.jpg

Bryas July 1915

• Like 1

July 1 1915

Very rainy day

Capitaine Fauvre lead us.

Mission patrol between Arras-St.Vith.

Artillery barrage continually at the front.

No enemies in sight.

July 4 1915

Capitaine Fauvre's claim went through and now he is our "ace".And generally the only one to have received air victories!

Mission patrol between Arras-Lens.Destroy enemy planes.

I working as a flight leader.

Very nice day.No clouds.

Near Arras ,over the front we saw enemy.The wind drove us to the side of enemy.It does not scare us because we noticed there are only two enemies.

And those are Aviatik B1.No armed,piece of cake!

We catch them and flew between them.Jean peppered them and EA disappeared somewhere.

The second EA was very low.When we were close,we saw that the propeller had stopped.We gave her coup- de- crace!

Aviatik made forced landing.

Our ammo was empty and not much the fuel ,so we headed home.

Shot01-09-22-18-05-42.thumb.jpg.c16d7d8c62ad9ae9afda4c520e24f1b9.jpg

Boche made forced landing

tumblr_ngkvjlcC301u5z9tdo1_1280.thumb.jpg.79b3785572d5527df40373e3656f897f.jpg

The anti-aircraft fire intensified when we got over the front.Suddenly strike hit an engine.

Mon Dieu!The fuel handler fell in instant.

Eventually the engine stopped and it was clear that we would have to make a forced landing on the enemy side.
My biggest concern was getting the bird down intact.It is not easy due to trenches and barbed wire.
Somehow we did it and we were that we live.Shouts were heard up close and we have not even matches that we could destroy the machine.

So we became prisoners!

Luckily Jean and i had to work in the clothing store.After 3 days in prison dressed as Germans,we managed to escape.
The joy was great when we arrived in Bryas.Bad news was that our victory claims rejected!
The guys of the same squadron demanded those machines for themselves!The end result was that no one get the credit.

WWI-_Allied_Forces-_French-_French_Prisoners_of_War_(32967748661).jpg

• Like 3

Haha, now that's quite the adventure, Paroni! Fortunately the boche are not overly bright and a sneaky Frenchman can always fool them like that. :biggrin:

Hey Hasse Wind!

It was such a 50-50 situation whether Armand’s adventures continue!

Nice Job Paroni!! Feels good to be on this side of the war (at the moment...)  Great escape, though sorry about your claim! Vive la liberté

01/06/15 - 01/07/15

large.61db2a3f9227f_Screenshot(99).png.2

A good month.  Some exciting moments particularly forcing down the unarmed Aviatik!  Mostly patrols and reccy.  The weather has been very mixed.  Jefferson and I became firm friends - He is currently on leave and I have a new chap 'Davies' who doesn't say much at all - The patrols take longer without Jefferson.

As I step into July I look forward to taking the war to the Hun.

large.61db2a2c1c115_CFS32022-01-0917-16-

Grotty June weather

Edited by Sebtoombs
  • Like 1