epower

DiD IV Campaign - Flight reports & Player instructions

9 hours ago, AlbertTross said:

Albrecht - Yes firing from the Nupes takes practice, but if you can master it I'd sooner fly the Lewis armed N17 then the early synchronised one with it's "putt, putt, putt" rate of fire.

If the Lewis worked for Albert Ball, it can't be all bad!

My absolute favorite of the Nieuports - apart from the underrated N28 - is the 17 Bis with the SE5a-esque hybrid Vickers/Lewis setup. Dogfights in that plane feel like catching enemies with a pair of pinchers, and I like the ability to do damage along a vertical line (hitting the tail & top wing together, or engine & top wing together) rather than the horizontal path of the twin Vickers setup.

• Like 1

ATTENTION!

62050f9ba9e8f_FrenchMedalPresentation1.jpg.e6a1b3e53aa59abb1811ef6fc0dd2743.jpg

Le Ministre de la guerre, République Française, wishes to present an award to the following individual:

WOFF_DID_French_CdG_Jean_Fidele_Hierrot_001.jpg.af22243cc1a673f931cd77ccc3515bec.jpg

The people of France thank you sincerely for your courageous actions.

• Like 2

ATTENTION!

king_george_presenting_medals.jpg.4ae47955e40845410bcca9ceb17ae3ff.jpg

His Majesty King George V hereby confers the following honour:

WOFF_DID_British_DSC_Theodore_Andrews_001.jpg.283b6cef7003f306f0fd704db68c96c1.jpg

A grateful people thank you for your service and loyalty.

• Thanks 2

Vizeflugmeister Leopold Doll

Marine Kampfeinsitzerkommando

Nieuwmunster airfield

Eindecker EI

1 confirmed victory

7th November 1915

Leopold woke to hear the rain on the window of his quarters. It wasn't enough to cancel flying though and after breakfast he and Leutnant Kagelmann undetook a sortie down towards Passchendaele. The thick clouds made visibility awful as they gained height and headed southwards.

They'd reached about halfway when suddenly, bullets ripped into Leo's wing. He instinctively rolled and saw two Nieuports tearing out of a cloud formation towards him.

He pulled the tightest turn and fired at one of his attackers as it flew by. The other Nieuport went after Kagelmann and Leo went to help.

Just as he managed to swat away the attacker, bullets hit from the other Nieuport. Leo's controls went limp, several wires had been cut.

The Eindecker spiralled down. There was nothing he could do......the ground grew nearer........

Nov1.jpg

Nov2.jpg

Nov3.jpg

AlbertTross!

Leopold's story was way too short!

It is very painful lose fellow when you are spend much time background story...

In my experience so far i think DiD creators have gotten close real ww1 air fight.

Most of pilots got 0-1 air victories throughout the war.

No 200+ victories with this campaign!

6 hours ago, RAF_Louvert said:

ATTENTION!

Thank you Sir!

Albrecht: Congrats too to Jean-Fidele Hierrot

• Like 1

First of all, condolences to Albert. As Paroni said, it is especially painful to lose a pilot so early after having invested in an excellent biography for him. Still, I am really looking forward to seeing your new man very soon.

Albrecht and Seb – congratulations to both of you on getting the first DiD Campaign visit from the Gong Fairy. The decorations were both richly deserved. Your men have come out of the corner looking to win by a knockout.

Paroni – I appreciate the recognition that we have tried to make gathering victories a bit more difficult in this campaign. But with so many talented WOFF veterans, that will be a difficult target to hit.

• Thanks 1

Introducing.....

Sergent Simon Charles Grace, he's actually an Englishman, born in Liverpool in 1892. After High School he learns mechanics and works at a car workshop. He is all set to join the Royal Engineers in 1910 but is caught up in a stink when he is suspected of voicing support for Irish home rule. His joining up is cancelled and he is ostracised from his job.

He ends up travelling Europe, spending time in Amsterdam, Köln and Paris before ending up in Marseille in 1912. Whilst there he meets up and befriends an American and both decide to join the French Foreign Legion.

He serves in Africa through 1913 and into 1914 reaching the rank of Caporal. When the war starts, his company is sent to Algiers. He is a good soldier and is made Sergent in January 1915. In March 1915 he applies to join the Service Aéronautique and is accepted.

After training he is assigned to Escadrille C9, flying the Caudron G4 joining on 12th November 1915.

This is his story...........

Screenshot_20220210-203059~2.png

Screenshot_20220210-204020~2.png

• Like 2

November continue...

A first encounter with Fokker EIIIs!

Although Henri and Huillier claimed one,both rejected!

Mon Dieu!

Shot02-10-22-01-04-08.thumb.jpg.4ff3e76339c1c9b829f6bf7e5fb8868e.jpg

Results are seen.The bird just limped home!

Shot02-10-22-02-18-40.thumb.jpg.dcb79b570888e99b1961c1f887615093.jpg

• Like 1

Albert T: I'm so sorry to have read of Leopold Doll's sudden demise ... As Paroni says his story is way too short. But, Simon Charles Grace is an interesting character. I served with a chap who had been in the French Foreign legion. We are still close - I look forward to Grace's tales!

Paroni: Congratulations on your first and then second confirmed victory, and serving a run-in with EIIIs phew!

Albrecht: The gunnery tips are most welcomed for the Nieuport - each bullet has to count!  Superb adventures, pictures and confirmed victories. Congratulations on becoming a flight leader!

---------

Flight Lieutenant Theodore Aloysius Andrews aka 'Runt' DSC                                                      

HQ Sqn 1 Wing RNAS in Flanders                                                                                                   

St. Pol-sur-Mer

Part 13

10th November 1915

Today I said goodbye to Davies,  he was transported from the hospital last night to St. Pol-sur-Mer before being transported off to a new posting with the RFC this evening.  He was brimming with pride to have been awarded a DSC at the same time as myself at this morning's roll call. In my youthful arrogance, I had often thought about receiving a gong - I looked forward to seeing the admiration on Monique's face and the envy on Simon Ackart's. However, when the moment came, the loss of Monique was all I could think of, it is foolish I know, but I still carry her picture with me on each and every flight.  She and Ackart are now stepping out together officially and occasionally I have spotted her waiting in the guard room for some date or meal with Ackard, and occasionally catch the scent of her fragrant perfume in the mess.  I'm not proud to admit that I dodge her, I can't bear the thought of talking to her - I'm not sure if she even knows I'm still alive.

large.kitty.png.c0137bb82bdaaf6824c249df

Monique's Picture

There have been many nights, too many, when I have laid on my cot wondering how life may have been different if I'd not rescued Ackart from the Hun Fokkers. Davies would not have been almost killed, and maybe I'd be the one with Monique.  In that case, maybe I could live with her, but probably not with myself.  I am ashamed to say I lie awake, in the cold nights, plotting revenge, but frustratingly to date, nothing suitable had sprung to mind.  Last night was one such night; seeing and drinking with Davies in the mess had brought the whole thing front and centre to my mind.  However, as I collected my morning oats Davies came up to me with a big grin!  "I think we are in for a wee surprise at the parade!" He announced with Welsh gusto. He'd gotten wind of the DSCs.  He looked awful, and I told him so. "Ah... That's because I have got a wee surprise of my own for you Runt."  He led me to the hanger "Go in lad" he ordered. Inside was the Nieuport freshly painted, "Aye boyo" he laughed, "Now you see why I look so rough, I was up all night painting"  I had joked with Davies after we moved to Moranes that we now had a mighty sting in our tail - him and his Lewis. Also because for most of my time in the Morane, I longed to be back in the BE2c - it was such a curiously underpowered little thing and had joked that my promotion came with a sting in its tail so I had painted a crude bumblebee on the fuselage and some yellow and black strips on the engine housing.

"It's my going away gift," he said with much satisfaction over his handy work. I don't think I'd ever heard Davies speak so much - but I was glad of every word he said he had become more than a friend over the last six months, he was a brother. 

Instead of my humble child-like bee was an exquisite work of art, with a mean-looking sting, my name in beautiful calligraphy and a huge long yellow lightning strike.  "I won't be there to watch your back Theo ... but you will be in my prayers and I can leave you this art for luck. "  I was speechless, but Davies wasn't finished. " I read somewhere that the man who seeks revenge had better dig two graves before he acts - so leave room for God to put things right lad. Don't take it on yourself."

He gave me a hearty slap on the back and we ambled to parade. When I returned to my Nieuport, alone, I was  F/L Theodore Ayolisus Andrews DSC.

large.62057b159b041_CFS32022-02-1020-51-

large.62056c25d601e_CFS32022-02-1019-31-

large.62056c40a440e_CFS32022-02-1017-47-

To be Continued ... (I hope)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SebToombs!

Absolute nice skin your Nieuport! Did you make it yourself ?

Such a beauty Monique!I wish that Theodore has lucky with her.

Paroni - I'm very glad Henri survived his clash with the Eindeckers even if damage was considerable.

Seb - Runt needs to forget about Monique and concentrate on his flying, the last thing we want is for him to pay the ultimate price for having ties to the ground, but I do agree with Paroni.....she's a looker.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paroni1 said:

Absolute nice skin your Nieuport! Did you make it yourself ?

Yes … very happy to skin for folks if they want a hand! 

Sergent Simon Grace

Escadrille C9

Epinal

Caudron G4

12th November 1915

Having finally arrived at Epinal, shook the rain from his cape and introduced himself to the adjutant on the desk, Simon was taken into see the CO Capitaine Victor Larsy. Capitaine Larsy was a relatively small but swarthy looking man from Gap, in the Hautes Alpes. He was 28 and had been a Chasseurs Alpin before the war when he joined the French Air Service.

Simon saluted and the Capitaine responded, "Bonjour Sergent, how was your trip?" asked Larsy.

"Not too bad thank you sir. Despite the weather." responded Simon.

"Ahh this is normal for Epinal Sergent, but don't worry, we will still be flying, as long as it doesn't get much worse." said Larsy, who now perused Simon's papers.

"Ahh you're English! Your french is very good. You were a member of the Légion Étrangère I see. Well, you must have had your reasons. Marseille, Casablanca and Algiers, so you have travelled Sergent and clearly you did well, as your promotions show." said the Capitaine.

"How did you end up in the Air Service?" asked Larsy.

"Well sir, as you say, I was stationed in Algiers and other than sentry duty there was little to do. I've always took an interest in aviation and machines, so I decided to apply. Thankfully I was successful." explained Simon.

"Your training record is good, and I can hardly question your allegiances after three years in the Legion" Larsy smiled as he spoke.

"Thank you mon Capitaine. I will not let you down." said Simon.

"I'm sure you won't Sergent Grace. Well go and get yourself sorted in your billet and get some refreshment. We have a sortie this afternoon which you can take part in. Before that I will introduce you to the other men, including your Artilleur." concluded the Capitaine.

"Yes sir, thank you." responded Simon.

"One last thing, what was your 'anonymat'? May I ask?" asked the Capitaine.

"Sid Charles, mon Capitaine, but I was able to use my own name after a year" said Simon.

"Ahh, bon. See you in a short while Sergent" finished Larsy.

After sorting himself out in his very basic dwelling and getting some lunch, he made his way over to the briefing room. Capitaine Larsy introduced Simon to the others. If there was some hesitation, Capitaine Larsy cut through it, "Sergent Grace has spent three years in the Légion Étrangère and attained his current rank some while ago, I think that should tell you all you need to know about his loyalty to France."

One by one the others said hello. Simon was introduced to his artilleur, Adjutant Isaac Mondeme. Mondeme was 27 and from St Etienne.

After the introductions, the Capitaine went through the afternoon's planned sortie. Four Caudrons were to make their way north east to the lines east of Luneville and attack them.

Larsy encouraged Simon to take note of local landmarks, such as the Ëtang Mansuy to the west.

A short while later Simon was throttling up the pair of Gnome Rhone engines on his Caudron and heading down the airfield. The weather was not great, steady rain fell and huge clouds abound as he took off.

They headed off north east after forming up and climbing and having reached the lines. Simon set the Caudron up on course for Mondeme to drop the bombs. They hit their targets with a loud and powerful roar and after forming back up, they headed home.

Over the next few days Simon took part in similar sorties, recons, bombing runs and artillery spotting and got used to the landscape around about.

Mondeme was an excellent bomb aimer and the pair did considerable damage to the enemy railyard across the lines and an army camp further east.

The pair got on well, spending time in the evening in the mess. Mondeme had been in the infantry and served on the Marne in 1914 before transferring to the air service in early 1915.

The weather continued to worsen and by the 17th, flying was impossible. This remained the case until the 20th. Mondeme and Simon took advantage and arranged a pass for the day on the 19th. They travelled the short distance into Epinal itself.

The town was full of military personnel and the pair struggled to find somewhere with room to eat. They eventually found somewhere that Mondeme knew about.

The pair talked about their pasts and travels. Mondeme had been to London as a child and had spent time in Marseille, so the pair talked about the centre of Marseille which both knew well.

They returned later that night, rather the worse for wear, but as there was no flying on the 20th they were able to sleep it off.

The weather cleared enough for flying to resume on the 21st and the pair completed an early morning recon of the lines. As they returned, Simon spotted something off to his left. There it was again, white against the dark brown of the cratered front.

He headed over there and saw what it was, a trio of enemy Aviatiks swarming around the French lines.

Simon shouted to Mondeme to get himself ready and he came up behind and beneath the enemy aircraft.

Mondeme chose the rightmost of the trio and put several good bursts into him. The Aviatik swung away to the right, separating itself from the others.

Simon swung around after it and closed in again. Mondeme fired again and the Aviatik wobbled.  A stream of smoke started pouring out of the boche aircraft. Suddenly it burst into flames and rolled over, heading straight down into the ground near the lines.

The other two Aviatiks had ran and Simon let them go. Another Caudron appeared, Sergent Henryk de Tonnac waved at Simon, and gave a thumbs up.

On landing Simon and Mondeme were warmly congratulated on their victory which de Tonnac was happy to confirm.

If there had been any ice towards their 'Rôti de bœuf' the downing of the enemy aircraft well and truly melted it and a celebration was held in the mess that evening.

It had been an action packed ten days for Simon and Capitaine Larsy was impressed.

Nov1.jpg

Nov2.jpg

Screenshot_20220210-211911~3.png

Nov3.jpg

Nov4.jpg

Nov5.jpg

• Like 1

November 22

Clash with Eindeckers,Castillac claimed two victories.Both rejected.

Capitaine Huillier crashed and killed!Sacre Bleu!

Shot02-11-22-20-26-28.thumb.jpg.c93b98e2dd23641a93ef21bd379ab87e.jpg

Because harsh weather several days not flying.

26 November

Revenge in his mind Castillac went to the skies with Turin.They encountered three Aviatik's which escaped.Henri did not gave up the chase.Far behind enemy lines he chose Avi on the right.

He get very good hits when suddenly he was shot himself!

Shot02-11-22-20-49-29.thumb.jpg.6b33f6a2ac1e93c8282eda26026f1b9a.jpg

Henri understood now hit badly and turned home.

Blood loss was too heavy and hi crashed to No-Man-Land!

Shot02-11-22-20-49-38.thumb.jpg.eba33af5b2cf4bc4519ec6f44dbbbad4.jpg

So ended a story of our brave air-man.

November 26 1915

Sous  Lieutenant Henri Caspar Castillac

2 victories

9 claimed

24 missions

24,9 flying hours

Edited by Paroni1
  • Sad 1

Experiences so far...

Paroni1's Dicta:

1.Do not attack two-seater who fly in formation (Henri's fate when he fell into crossfire).

2.Fight only your side(Henri's fate when he bleed out)

3.Don't be greedy(Henri's fate in general!)

• Like 2

Paroni - Wise words my friend! I was so sorry to read about Henri's fate ... I had a close call yesterday almost the same situation. See below ...

Albert - Super intro to Grace may he live long and prosper congrats on first victory!  Beautiful bombing screenies!

Flight Lieutenant Theodore Aloysius Andrews aka 'Runt' DSC                                                      

HQ Sqn 1 Wing RNAS in Flanders                                                                                                   

St. Pol-sur-Mer

Part 14

November 12th 1915

Close call this morning ... honestly I'm quite shaken by the whole thing.  A routine dawn patrol took a very nasty turn.  We were at about 9000 Feet in tight formation flying through fairly dense snow clouds.  It was freezing up there - my lips were bleeding with the cold and I was relieved when they were eventually so numb I could no longer feel the pain. 

Cleaver (C.O.) led our formation. Rod Dallas still in his ruddy Cauldon was flying as the sole member of 'A' flight which is ridiculous!  I was number two, F/L Robbie Arthur number three and F/Sub-lieutenant Edgar Williams number four, flying on Arthur's wing.  We passed through some dark clouds, I barely could see Cleaver, or know left from right, up from down as we cleared the dark clouds into slightly less dense white cumulus we realised we at appeared close to three Aviatiks Cs flying in tight formation.  Cleaver was right on the money and opened fire.  It took me what seemed a lifetime to work out what was going on; so far most air battles have been slow long-planned events. This short battle was all reaction and no planning.

large.6207d4914ab26_CFS32022-02-1120-12-

The Aviatiks opened fire on us immediately.  Arthur and Williams were caught in a deadly crossfire, both planes span out of control, great billows of black smoke and oil following them through the clouds.  Cleaver and I attempted to play catch up - but the HA shooting was too intense.  I fired a drum of lewis ammunition into the cockpit of one Aviatik and think I saw some flashes but the bullets from the other two drove me off - there was no way I was reloading the Lewis under heavy fire.   Bullets had ripped through my instruments, and I had a serious oil leak I was bleeding too and losing blood and I could hear more gunfire directed towards me. I dived away from the Aviatiks back into the dense cloud and was rewarded with silence.  At about 800 feet I cleared the clouds and saw that the Aviatik I had shot at was in flames, going down.  I watched it crash close to the graves of fallen Arthur and Williams and checked my map,  Poperinghe was only about 15 miles to the southwest so I said a prayer for the fallen and made my way there.  It was a huge relief as I placed my wheels on the airfield's welcoming bumps and divots.

About 5 minutes later I spotted the boss's smoking and tattered Nieuport 11 Bébé bounce to a full stop next to me.  We just stared exhausted into the distance - not wanting to leave our damaged planes.

large.6207d49492472_CFS32022-02-1120-17-

To Be Continued ...

Edited by Sebtoombs

Albert!

How do you take a picture of the ground? Meaning bombing,third party crashed plane etc.

Seb - An excellent tale with the squadron taking a real battering from those Aviatiks, if you get caught in the cross-fire you are in serious trouble. Arthur and Williams paid the ultimate price. Thankfully Runt and the CO survived. Hopefully his claim is confirmed.

Paroni - If you press 'W' having dropped your bombs your view switches to 'bomb' view and you follow them down. You can also zoom in and out. If you pause it as they hit the ground you can catch some good pictures of the explosion/damage.

Sergent Simon 'Sid' Grace

Escadrille C9

Epinal

Caudron G4

22nd November 1915

1 confirmed victory

Simon, Mondeme and de Tonnac sat in the mess enjoying a glass of champagne. The celebrations following Simon and Mondeme's victory over the Aviatik had been long and the trio were rather the worse for wear. Capitaine Larsy had been good enough to buy several bottles of fine vintage for the pilots and Artilleurs.

"So Simon, in your time in the Légion, did you have an.....anon....anony....ano...anonymat!" asked Mondeme rather slurringly.

"Yes mon ami, I was Sid Charles." said Simon slowly.

"Seed?" said Mondeme.

Simon burst out laughing, "Sid, S. I. D. not Seed." replied Simon.

"Ahh, Sid (it still sounded like he was saying seed). I think that should be your surnom!" said Mondeme.

De Tonnac nodded his agreement and the three poured another drink. Eventually the three retired for the evening.

The following day's sorties were straightforward, as much as attacks on enemy positions can be.

A particular success was an attack on a newly built enemy camp on the edge of the front lines. The Germans had tried to conceal the camp using the hillside and trees but the Caudrons of C9 found it. A large attack was ordered by headquarters and although getting the bombs on target was hard, Simon and Mondeme did so with great effect.

Capitaine Larsy commended the pair in the mission report to HQ.

On 28th, a trio of Caudrons had been sent to attack the enemy railyard across the lines from Nancy. The attack went well although the aircraft became rather separated. As they made their way back Simon and Mondeme were some way behind the other two Caudrons and working to catch up.

As they neared the lines, Simon saw two black dots above the other two Caudrons. The dots then descended down towards his comrades.

The two Caudrons started switching and turning, clearly they were under attack. Simon raced towards them. As he approached he saw they were being attacked by a pair of Eindeckers.

Simon raced towards the nearest attacker who was going after Sergent Gilles Villars' aircraft. Mondeme let rip with a burst from maximum range but it did the trick. The Eindecker dived and ran for home.

Simon now went after the remaining Eindecker who was now chasing Capitaine Larsy.

The Capitaine pulled the Eindecker further and further into French territory although the Eindecker seemed to be gaining on Larsy's aircraft.

Larsy realised he was being caught and turned back towards Simon. The Eindecker came with him and Simon swung around and up towards the enemy aircraft as it passed.

Mondeme poured bullets into the boche, seemingly taking the German by complete surprise. Simon now levelled out behind him and Mondeme hit him again. The Fokker slipped into a spiralling fall from which he didn't recover. The enemy aircraft smashed into the trees and exploded.

Simon took a big breath and patted Mondeme on the back. The trio of Caudrons formed back up and made their way home.

On landing, Capitaine Larsy made his way over to Simon and Mondeme. "Sergent, firstly thank you for coming to my aid. Secondly, that was some of the best flying I've seen in this war! I didn't think a Caudron could be flown like that!" said Larsy.

"You're welcome mon Capitaine, I'm just glad I was able to get to you in time. Mondeme here was never going to miss." said Simon modestly, putting his arm on Mondeme's shoulder.

"Well I can certainly confirm that victory for you both....two victories within three weeks! You're making names for yourselves mes amies." confirmed Larsy.

More celebrations followed that evening and sorties continued until 30th November when the weather closed in again, making flying impossible. Simon and Mondeme were grateful of the day off.

Nov6.jpg

Nov7.jpg

Nov8.jpg

Nov9.jpg

Nov10.jpg