Sign in to follow this  
RIBob

Why Upgrading Your computer Can Help FE Players

Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this topic (Mods, please move) or if this has been previously been discussed.

In these days of modern Graphics Cards (GPU) being unobtainable at reasonable prices, many older computers (or even some relatively new ones) can significantly benefit from some careful upgrading.  Likely this can be done with parts that are reasonably priced, and fairly easyto install.

Most Central Processor Units (CPUs) can be upgraded to a more advanced version, as long as they will mate to the existing socket in the Mother Board (MB).  For example, I went from an I5 CPU to an I9 CPU. on my Dell 8930.  Being aware of the power required by an upgraded CPU is essential, and might require the addition of a more powerful Power Supply Unit (PSU).  But not always; I went from an I3 CPU to an I7 CPU on my elderly Dell laptop, and since the power draw on both CPUs was the same, (the I7 CPU was a Dell option on my model of laptop)  all was well.

Most computer Cases will allow the installation/upgrading of additional/existing cooling fans.  Some computers, like my XPS 8930, omitted a front case fan (a Dell Accessory), and  my computer had a small, 90mm top case fan, and I upgraded  both the top fan, and added a 120mm front case fan via Dell accessory brackets.  I also replaced the cheezy Dell CPU cooling fan unit with a Dell Alienware unit that has a fan and radiator that exhausts up and out directly through the (upgraded) top case fan, instead of the original unit exhausting into the case itself.

I also added a finned aluminum heat sink for the Voltage Regulator Modules (VRM) on my Mother Board (MB).  The fittings for the screws of the VRM heat sink were present on the MB, but Dell omitted it from my model of computer.

My preoccupation with cooling the computer with decent airflow is because both the CPU and GPU will self-throttle due to excess heat.  Intaking cold air into the computer case, and exhausting warm air out of the case allows  all components of the computer to run at best temperature and at full capacity, and for longer time than a poorly vented case will allow.

I discovered all these Dell omissions (and upgrades) by searching "how to upgrade my {model specific} computer".  Most useful suggestions were on forums specifically dealing with my particular model of computer. 

I suggest watching this Youtube vid (NOT shilling for him) as being useful: Can't upgrade your GPU? Upgrade this instead... - YouTube

I hope all the above is useful to some folks.  Performing the upgrades above certainly was very useful for me.  YMMV, and best of luck!