The jungle. Tiles size is 1024x1024 pixel, merged from tiles of Starys Green Hell 3.5. TOD trees are completly taken from Green Hell 3.5

img00095.thumb.JPG.70999a4dced2e2f27c3b11bc8d170b79.JPG

• Like 5

Good work Gepard but I think you should keep some farm tiles without roads else we will have a terrain full of roads. Adding more villages on tiles is a good idea if you take into account that in general most SF2 terrains are not populated at all.

Edited by tiopilotos

6 hours ago, tiopilotos said:

Good work Gepard but I think you should keep some farm tiles without roads else we will have a terrain full of roads. Adding more villages on tiles is a good idea if you take into account that in general most SF2 terrains are not populated at all.

The problem is, that i have to choose between roads on all farmtiles or no roads on all farmtiles. And after a further look at Google Earth i think roads on all tiles are closer to reality than no roads.

• Like 3

Hi

more villages and more populated areas are a very good idea, imho. some regions in Vietnam have always been very densely populated - the river deltas for example, but: the northeastern provinces are not among these population centers. btw, current google earth images may be deceptive, as the population in the late seventies was less than half of what it is now. so - less people, less villages.

looking forward to the new terrain ;-)

sokol

First attempts to make coast tiles. The buildings are TOD made, taken from Starys Green hell 3.5. The water and the port are new.

img00096.thumb.JPG.1ba7d69cde2a311f25460070c2822392.JPG

img00097.thumb.JPG.79a5e08f21344f06b6cd2462fe8d267e.JPG

I'm not really happy with it yet. But it is only a first step of a very long way.

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Small progress also at my other terrain project "BoB 2 for the 1960th"

RAF Thorney Island, added a concrete runway

img00082.thumb.JPG.6d189185dd9779642002c17d35311ed9.JPG

RAF Odiham, new positions for parking planes. Looks better now and more realistic.

img00083.thumb.JPG.9282f79bfef810b0b90f419b0d44eb6f.JPG

img00084.thumb.JPG.426c74b7833dc4071906644927d87733.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sit-report of China vs Vietnam terrain:

City coast tiles reworked with smaller waves now. I think it looks better.

img00106.thumb.JPG.1020054c631836f0ba6f07627d424b0e.JPG

img00107.thumb.JPG.58c5613375ae4287512317c8367e5ba9.JPG

And so it looks from higher flight level.

img00108.thumb.JPG.73d8225a006acb3c3d90e8d58bf00db8.JPG

In the right lower corner you see one original tile from Green Hell 3.5

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Out of curiosity will this work with modern times?

sorry, at this time Charlie Chaplin has not been imported into the game :lol:

dunno why my mind went there first, but it did and couldnt resist. now back to gepard for the real answer

Edited by daddyairplanes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, EricJ said:

Out of curiosity will this work with modern times?

If you mean, wheter i will make the map to a naval map, so that modern chinese ships and carriers could appear, then the answer is Yes.

Okay I meant more like 2022 and so on, but I usually don't do Naval maps that much, but thanks!

I was bored with tiling the vietnamese chinese borderland. Because of that i made an attempt to create the island of Alderney for the BoB terrain.

img00091.thumb.JPG.be4eb58e861aed9c043ad8f48b46d739.JPG

It are still a jpg tiles, no water effect so far. That will come later.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I must say how cool the Sino-Vietnam map looks, with all those small roads and hamlets. Question is, will we see a rainy season texture set or only the dry set is planned? Thanks

I must say how cool the Sino-Vietnam map looks, with all those small roads and hamlets. Question is, will we see a rainy season texture set or only the dry set is planned? Thanks

24 minutes ago, Stratos said:

At the moment i will make only a dry season tileset. Its a lot of work to do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gepard said:

At the moment i will make only a dry season tileset. Its a lot of work to do.

I imagined it, pretty understandable!

• Like 1

This looks very good.

I'm assuming this is built upon the SF 2 Vietnam base terrain - is that correct?

I ask because I don't own SF2 yet -just WOV- but I was considering getting it.

On 8.3.2022 at 9:55 PM, Arrow said:

I'm assuming this is built upon the SF 2 Vietnam base terrain - is that correct?

No. Its a completly new terrain. It comes with a complete tileset, so that you can use it if you have only SF2E or SF2I.

This is the Planning Map:

ChinaVsVietnam_PlanningMap1.jpg.4486d8ff650dc712576f67a80f5b526b.jpg

The terrain covers the northern part of Vietnam, the chinese island of Hainan and the chinese vietnamese borderland.

The progress is slow, because i'm working now on the placement of the TOD objects (trees, houses) on the map. We have now a nice tool for this job (Thanks to Mue!!!!), but it is still time consuming.

Progress is slow but steady. And now the  terrain begins to look a little bit more realistic.

img00112.thumb.JPG.9c92137aac0a618b98d9a48d00749a1f.JPG

img00113.thumb.JPG.6b999099716053c32806b4092533a117.JPG

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

On 2022-03-12 at 1:18 PM, Gepard said:

No. Its a completly new terrain. It comes with a complete tileset, so that you can use it if you have only SF2E or SF2I...

Oh Excellent. While  I don't own SF2V, I do own SF2E and SF2NA.

I applaud your goal of placing more roads on the tiles. I've read Fall's Street Without Joy a couple of times and he mention attacks on roads that gave access to rural French outposts. Reading it I got the impression that the French had build quite a network of roads in Colonial Indochina - especially in the Tonkin region. The houses and trees on your latest tiles are impressive!

Some screenshots: WIP

img00116.thumb.JPG.ad162b72d60b775e54075ccf80a2adf9.JPG

img00117.thumb.JPG.5b505a266e969def3cadbaccce574831.JPG

img00118.thumb.JPG.4e48a3fea5b7e3bd0f20b607df8ec881.JPG

• Like 10

A long vietnamese village, made by TOD-objects. The trees are from Green Hell 3.5.

img00119.thumb.JPG.97ae6204ebd9f9d5c7c583df15d9b904.JPG

Does somebody know, wheter it is possible to add shadows to TOD objects?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

no, TOD objects don't/can't cast shadows. Only "regular" terrain objects (warehouse, evildamncombuildings, city buildings, etc)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wrench said:

no, TOD objects don't/can't cast shadows.

Not really. If you put Shadows settings to Unlimited, TOD buildings do cast shadows, but it's incredibly bugged. You'd get a lot of shimmering and z-buffer fighting.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Menrva said:

Not really. If you put Shadows settings to Unlimited, TOD buildings do cast shadows, but it's incredibly bugged. You'd get a lot of shimmering and z-buffer fighting.

Correct. Moreover while testing the TODEditor I noticed that after the number of TOD objects (or vertex/triangle count, I'm not sure) on a tile exceeds a limit the shadows stop working anyway.

• Thanks 2