Ukrainian Aerodrom Petriwka WIP screenshot:

BildPetriwka.thumb.jpg.81d5354aedd536e0d0dd88b7962b05b4.jpg

80% of this airbase is done. Only one big dispersal area in the left upper corner and then the SAM and Flak are still missing.

The layout of the base is as it was in soviet times. After 1995 the dispersal areas and the hardened shelters rotten. I think that they were reactivated in the last month.

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 4

Looks great! Looking forward

Looking forward for your final work.:good:

Me too. I guess you'll do a full release instead of a beta release though?

Edited by EricJ

5 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Me too. I guess you'll do a full release instead of a beta release though?

First a Beta. The terrain is much to big. A full development would need month or perhaps a year.

• Like 2

Just now, Gepard said:

First a Beta. The terrain is much to big. A full development would need month or perhaps a year.

Oh okay.

Airfield Aerodrom Arzis, WIP, 60% done.

BildArzis.thumb.jpg.bc223c54494b996d3ab979615741c2e4.jpg

A big soviet airbase south of Odessa, close to Moldavia. The Ukraine used this base not anymore since mid 1990th. It was reactivated in 2022.

Edit: And now finished: so it looks in game:

img00126.thumb.JPG.fc97e6648f7c1b09baf3d6f4b43c4efc.JPG

img00127.thumb.JPG.f9a95938683adb0a7316edd2886b898e.JPG

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 4

a pair of slightly off topic questions, asked since i thought of them qhile you are posting new airfields

is it possible to set specific nations for airfields? that is so that only German or Czech or Soviet (or French or German or US) show up on the given airfield?

other is it possible to create two airfields sharing the same runway ala dual civil/ mililtary fields? i know that two can be right next to each other (the range terrain) just wondering if they can be two sets of ramp space, one runway

23 minutes ago, daddyairplanes said:

is it possible to set specific nations for airfields? that is so that only German or Czech or Soviet (or French or German or US) show up on the given airfield?

Nope, not possible. On campaigns you can control that to a good extent, but for single missions it's just Blue Side and Red Side.

23 minutes ago, daddyairplanes said:

other is it possible to create two airfields sharing the same runway ala dual civil/ mililtary fields? i know that two can be right next to each other (the range terrain) just wondering if they can be two sets of ramp space, one runway

Simply put, each usable runway needs a specific target area and runway data file. If you want to achieve something like you say, you still need to create two separate airport target areas, but for one of the two it may be needed to specify an invisible runway 3d model, since the proper airport 3d model would be added by the other target area.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 2

As Menrva already said, it is not possible to connect a specific airfield to a nation.

To your second question. It is possible with a trick.

You create two target areas as airfields. You place them at the same position on the map, so that one runway is placed exactly over the other. The problem is, that only the upper runway can be destroyed, the lower runway is invulnerable, which can cause frustration if your mission task is to destroy this runway.

• Like 1

So it looks in game:

img00129.thumb.JPG.186ef449be68970faa4c2c493897e31d.JPG

This airbase is from Baltic Entrance terrain. At this airfield i placed two stock airfield3 and a covering SLB2400 at the same place on the map. With this trick you can let an airfield "grow" during the years. It start with a simple airfield3, then some years later comes  the covering SLB2400 and then some years later the second airfield3.

You may also put two airfield3 files one after the other, so that it appears as would it be one single long runway with two dispersal areas. This has the asvantage, that both airfields can be destroyed and air operations can run from both airfields without hinder each other.

Here a screenshot of 4 airfield3s connected to one big airbase. Done in my Korea MiG-Alley terrain.

img00127.thumb.JPG.69d596a4a2a83e9b2971475d941321ac.JPG

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 5

the 'second' runway can be given a 0 point value, thereby rendering it not a target. done that before, too.

I LIKE that quad R3!!! very inventive!!

Will you add TOD made small towns as you did with Vietnam terrain?

32 minutes ago, Stratos said:

Will you add TOD made small towns as you did with Vietnam terrain?

I will try it. But at the moment it has not high priority. First i will finish the ukrainan airbases. Then release a first Beta. Then making the russian airbases. Then an other Beta. And after this the rest will be done step by step.

I know, that i must rework the village tiles. Russian and ukrainian villages are looking completly different from the central or west european villages. From above they are looking like the lines of a book, while in the rest of Europe the villiages are looking like a cluster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gepard said:

I will try it. But at the moment it has not high priority. First i will finish the ukrainan airbases. Then release a first Beta. Then making the russian airbases. Then an other Beta. And after this the rest will be done step by step.

I know, that i must rework the village tiles. Russian and ukrainian villages are looking completly different from the central or west european villages. From above they are looking like the lines of a book, while in the rest of Europe the villiages are looking like a cluster.

Those eastern european village in geography get the name of Burgenstrasse, as they're deployed usually following roads, If you could replicate those, the terrain will look even more amazing. 

Ukrainian Airbase: Aerodrom Dnepropetrowsk

img00119.thumb.JPG.3cbec436595c0a69be235e9603ef7a34.JPG

img00120.thumb.JPG.f7cf03066b72d8e5c039d77df98fe0e9.JPG

img00121.thumb.JPG.3b975ce63b77f41bfa2a1e2f1f26eb62.JPG

• Like 3

It's too bad that you can't start from one of the parking spots like DCS. Those are some cool looking airbases that you can only experience by taxiing to a spot after you land.

• Like 3

On 28/5/2022 at 10:07 AM, Gepard said:

Airfield Aerodrom Arzis, WIP, 60% done.

A big soviet airbase south of Odessa, close to Moldavia. The Ukraine used this base not anymore since mid 1990th. It was reactivated in 2022.

This looks great!!!!!!

Any chance to release a video showing how to create an airbase? my 3d skills are limited to basic blender/3ds but i think the modelling part is somehow easy, but i want to see how the .inis are created.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snowburn said:

This looks great!!!!!!

Any chance to release a video showing how to create an airbase? my 3d skills are limited to basic blender/3ds but i think the modelling part is somehow easy, but i want to see how the .inis are created.

This has nothing to do with 3d skill. I use the Target editor which is included in Mues Toolbox, that you can find in the download area. With this tool you can create airbases or other target areas easily. Its like playing with Lego bricks.

• Like 3

sorry, i didn't express myself correctly.

i know how to add airbases, targets, and stuff to existing / new maps, but didnt know how to create an airbase from scratch, the 3d part is somehow easy but didnt know how to config the .ini file correctly. i think will look more on the knowledge base and try to change existing ones.

• Like 1

Creating an airbase is simple.

The only thing you must have in mind are the header lines.

[TargetArea001]
Name=Cherson Aerodrom
Position=440000.00,514000.00
Alignment=FRIENDLY
Location=3
AirfieldDataFile=desert_airfield3.ini                                           <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<This is important. Its the definition from where the planes starts and land. And where parked aircrafts stand.
ActiveYear=0
Radius=14142.135742
NumSquadrons=1                                                                           <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< This is important, but self explaining.
Target[001].Type=SLB2400                                                           <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< This must be a runway.
Target[001].Offset=0.00,0.00                                                        <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Runway position is always 0.00,0.00. Otherwise the planes starts somewhere in the desert.
Target[001].Heading=30

All other objects, which you can place with the target editor tool are based on the position of the runway. If you rotate the runway, all other objects hold their position in ralation to the runway.

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

as Gepard said, the runway must always be the first item listed.

although I disagree with the 14000 meter radius; 6000m is more than sufficent

SitRep:

I'm working on the fck big airbase Saporoschje. Its giant. I have finished the southern part so far.

BildSaporoschje.thumb.jpg.62f584fae38a3743e377e39a7037a1c0.jpg

The screenshot shows how big this base is in contrast to what i have already done.

Funny fact to Saporoschje. There was a big automotive factory there. In the 1970th the soviets bought the licence to built FIAT cars, which were manufactured under the designation LADA. To avoid further licence fees the Saporoschje car development team got the task to redesign a FIAT into a own soviet car. The FIATs had had frontal engine and rear drive. In Saporoschje they made the decision to built in the engine in the rear too. But there was not enough space in the rear. Gearbox and engine did not fit. What do? An inginous designer had the idea. "Lets revers the gearbox!" And so they did and it fits perfectly. One flaw was, that the gears at the gear lever were now revers too. The first gear was not left front as in a normal car, but right rear!

Okay. You can do it so, but its rubbish! For the soviet citizens and the eastern block car drivers it was good enough. For the rest of the world it was nonsens.

The car, called "Sapo" had had a very interesting handling because it was very tail heavy, or with other words it was dangerous for the driver, especially when the streets were wet.

I know from what I'm talking about. My parents had had one of this "Sapos". Spinning while driving through a curve was not seldom and for me as Kid very exciting. To solve the problem, we found out, it was helpfull to load sandbags in the trunk, which was located in the front of the car. So the tail heaviness was tempered and the handling of the car was extremly improved.

And so it looked:

Bild1.thumb.jpg.525eea8ff932a0d940a788dafc128c43.jpg

Link to the picture source: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAS-966#/media/Datei:ZAZ-966_front_view.jpg

Edited by Gepard
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

yup, that was a fun car. Some neighbors had it too. Remember that getting to 60km/h usually took half day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4