Sign in to follow this  
daddyairplanes

Huge Naked American Birds

There is a reason that polished metal finishes went away toward the end of the 1950s. The materials needed to support Mach 2 caused airplanes to start having a "patchwork" appearance when unpainted. By the 1970s, composites further complicated the unpainted colors. The F-4 Phantom was the first Thunderbird aircraft to have the all-gloss white finish because of this with the F-100D (and F-105B) being the last Thunderbirds with the natural metal finish.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, streakeagle said:

There is a reason that polished metal finishes went away toward the end of the 1950s.

Ofc, and it's serious reason, but .. forgive me , I love bazilius's comment :biggrin:.

Some more naked birds, fighter type. I suspect they aren't totally naked but have primers applied to protect the metals. For instance, the F-15A Streak Eagle has a lot more bare metal finish than the F-15 shown here. Unpainted Fighter Jets - Aviation Humor

• Like 1