Sign in to follow this  
Skyworm

Motor and propeller management

Cheers Gentlemen,

I am new to your wonderful forum and have recently started playing WOTR.  It's my first flight sim since a long time, and I never had to deal with motor and propeller management. I have read some things, but I'm still unsure how it works.

The problem in game is, that I usually fall miles behind my flight and really struggle to get back into formation. It seems all other machines of my flight get better to cruising speed.

So what can I do?

I guess the solution has to do with propeller pitch and mixture. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Skyworm

Hello, recommended is to scroll towards the bottom of the following post - where you will find two links to performance tips for the Hurricane and Spitfire in WOTR - much of the info. is applicable to the BF-109 too.

Cheers,

Von S :smile:

Just one more question.

When flying in formation, I always struggle with course changes in the patrol area. It seems, all AI pilots slow down a lot during their course change. I regularly overshoot them then, and struggle to get back into formation afterwards. How do they reduce speed so quickly?

Thanks!

Hello, I am assuming that the AI increases/decreases mixture often while flying, in conjunction with reduction of throttle - depending on altitude. This is (maybe) one of the reasons why they drop speed more quickly since they reduce both power and throttle to the engine at the same time.

Possibly try choosing "auto-mixture" if there is such a setting in the in-sim menu - might help to stay in formation more easily with a large flight - instead of manually toggling with mixture at different altitudes.

Also worth experimenting with, if you prefer manually to tweak mixture - is to turn off one of the magnetos while you reduce throttle - that might be another trick worth exploring, to reduce speed more quickly. Don't forget to turn the magneto on again once you have decelerated.

I need to find more time to fly WOTR -- from memory, I remember also turning off the battery when flying, and only turning it back on before landing, etc. Flaps I tend to avoid using but instead use the one-magneto-on trick when landing - helps to cut power noticeably. Other little oddities that I remember doing - no need to fly at more than 85% mixture, even when flying low - doesn't add any power and only wastes fuel. You might however want to set to 100% (rich) when landing - if you are worried that your engine will conk out.

Cheers,

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Edited post.