daddyairplanes

Adjø Bodø

A new alert facility is opening. But a classic place shutting down for the old cold warriors out there

and classic aircraft for those at least alive through the end of it...

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/royal-norwegian-air-force-to-shut-down-bodo-air-base-and-to-retire-f-16-jet-fighters-on-january-6/?fbclid=IwAR3GAC31vJ8G0NNBVpxqCZCmGPYiOGznKMlj5uK74-yj3TWIKh41dzklTnw

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

That is big news to me. I know Bodø well thanks to an old naval warfare board game, Victory Games 2nd Fleet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, streakeagle said:

That is big news to me. I know Bodø well thanks to an old naval warfare board game, Victory Games 2nd Fleet.

I did not like "cold weather", I was rather in Mediterranea (6th Fleet) or Asia (7th Fleet, though it was cold there too)

• Haha 1

I never went there, but we had jets there a few times. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bazillius said:

poor F-16s are now orphaned :(

read the article. those poor F-16s are now retired. last flight will be a scramble Friday, then the F-35s will scramble and usher in the new alert facility,  Evenes Air Station

some will be sold to Draken for aggressor work, and Romania is looking at buying some supposedly

9 hours ago, streakeagle said:

i knew it at first from mentions in lots of cold war fiction/games.

then ran into some cats that have been there. generally in winter. suck place, cool people from what i've heard (again, everyone claimed to be there in winter)

That's what I said. Poor F-16s will either end up in a nursing home or they will become homeless vagabonds.  Nobody would want to be there in old age.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, jeanba said:

I did not like "cold weather", I was rather in Mediterranea (6th Fleet) or Asia (7th Fleet, though it was cold there too)

I had all of them. I mainly played 2nd Fleet, but when I joined the Navy, one of my friends tried 7th Fleet. The rules improved with each iteration, so 2nd Fleet was generally better than 6th Fleet, and 7th Fleet was more refined than 2nd Fleet. But I loved the Frunze in 2nd Fleet. I never lost the Frunze. It was damaged once, but never sunk.