Hello everyone,

Did you guys already try a picture enhancement software called Gigapixel AI from Topaz labs?: https://www.topazlabs.com/gigapixel-ai

I have been using it for some time to enhance default skins and terrain textures and I have to say it is working really well. it's a bit expensive though.

Regards.

S.

Edited by stuntman
  • Like 1

No I haven't but it does look interesting though I don't know what value it will have with skins and the like.

quite interesting. 

Could be handy in a tiles makeover.

Im reading the description of the program. It is interesting. Thanks for the information, but I would like to get not just a link to the program, but some interesting reviews of its work. But if ts tru that the program can do it that its writen abouut thats cool

My impressions after spending several hours in the program. The program upscales very well. Very well but... good textures initially. The program is not able to correct a "poor" case. The program is suitable, for example, if you want to draw an emblem with small details on the default texture. You upscale the texture and paint in krita or photoshop. Or what prog you paint in, And so, just pass through all the textures through this program makes no sense. The program has a nice user-friendly interface. I will follow the development of the program. I believe it has future

Generally speaking, my impressions on this software are that it works very well to upscale panel lines and rivets, not as well to upscale stencils and other emblems. As you said, it depends on the source material. I'm mostly using it to upscale default 512x512 textures and then work on some details on photoshop.

Edited by stuntman

2 hours ago, stuntman said:

it works very well to upscale panel lines and rivets, not as well to upscale stencils and other emblems.

well rivets and panel lines are generally speaking geometric shapes and easy to upscale to a degree.

always best to get a library of very large source pics on stencils and unit markings. TV lies when it claims the computer expert can blow up something tiny and make it presentable what ever the software :biggrin:

For those interested, do know that alternatives exist. This is just an example, and it's free for those who know how to program and compile a little: https://github.com/xinntao/ESRGAN

Even giants like Adobe and Nvidia are working on their own versions for various purposes. Results may vary greatly. For things like terrain tiles, this approach does not seem to work well enough yet. AI networks are trained on countless datasets, but it will take time until they can be trained to understand a million different use cases if not more.

At the end of the day, nothing will beat human interaction. Skins and textures we produce may not be perfect, but they are the result of much thought and artistic expression. AI networks are a good thing, don't get me wrong, but they deserve to be applied on Real World problems more than on art stuff. AI was applied extensively on the remaster of the GTA Trilogy, it turned out to be a piece of crap; it got little to none quality control check by the developers.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 2