I was looking in the knowledge base about how to add new terrains since I want to add this one (see link below) but the readme on the file, let's say is not beginner friendly, any video or guide about adding terrains will be apreciated. 

I also downloaded this one because it was mentioned on the readme

Thanks in advance 

Go into your mod folder, create a Terrains folder and drop the terrain folder into it. You may not have to link the .cat file if you got a full 5-merged, but you need to make sure that the .cat file is referenced based on your install. That's a default directory that the game will reference for ground objects and the like. I mean it's pretty easy to do and not that complicated.

Edited by EricJ
  • Thanks 1

the readme on the file, let's say is not beginner friendly

Horseshit!! :poopy::lol:

I couldn't have made it any easier. All instructions, especially for fully folderized items (like terrains) assume the End User (tm) can do a simple copy and paste (or move or whatever)

== To Install:

As I always reccomend, unzip the "panama.zip" to a temp folder, or your desktop or somewhere's else that easy to find.

Then, simply copy/paste, move, however you want to do it, Panama terrain folder INTO you main /Terrains folder in whichever game install you're installing it to!. 

===snip=====

Right now, it's pointing to the SF2 desert.cat, but should work with the others =EXCEPT= SF2:Is IsrealME.cat and SF2NA's IcelandNA.cat. DO NOT USE THESE CATS FOR THIS MOD!!

There's a good chance that there's some odd bits that aren't used floating around in the terrain folder ... don't worry about them .. just ignore them!

That's it! Go fly!

right from the panama read me (yes, I know the original has a typo and says CubaOTC -- which I corrected here)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wrench said:

Horseshit!! :poopy::lol:

I couldn't have made it any easier. All instructions, especially for fully folderized items (like terrains) assume the End User (tm) can do a simple copy and paste (or move or whatever)

right from the panama read me (yes, I know the original has a typo and says CubaOTC -- which I corrected here)

well in my defense I dind't knew about the terrain folder that has to be created in the mod folder, base on that an how the aircrafts are added made me wonder if there was a special procedure in order to add it

Nah, hardest part is just making sure that the .cat file is easily referenced.

3 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Nah, hardest part is just making sure that the .cat file is easily referenced.

whats the .cat file? I only have .bmp / .hfd / .jpg / .lod / .out / .shd / .tfd / .tga / .tod / .txt and some config options (they open up in notepad)

The .cat file is a default file that holds all the objects (I believe if I remember right) for ground objects like hangars, and textures. I've never opened one up and looked inside (I don't know if it's even possible really). You don't really need to worry about it other than linking it on the respective .ini so that the game can load the files from the .cat file for play. Some times you can use different ones but the most popular one is Desert.cat but the file can also be found in the main install directory, but really don't mess with it, etc.

This is taken from the Panama.ini:

CatFile=..\Desert\Desert.cat
//CatFile=..\GermanyCE\GermanyCE.cat
//CatFile=..\VietnamSEA\VietnamSEA.ca

The "CatFile=" is what you should worry about, and the other two are commented out. If you have just SF2 then you don't have to worry about messing with the file.

Edited by EricJ

24 minutes ago, EricJ said:

The .cat file is a default file that holds all the objects (I believe if I remember right) for ground objects like hangars, and textures. I've never opened one up and looked inside (I don't know if it's even possible really). You don't really need to worry about it other than linking it on the respective .ini so that the game can load the files from the .cat file for play. Some times you can use different ones but the most popular one is Desert.cat but the file can also be found in the main install directory, but really don't mess with it, etc.

This is taken from the Panama.ini:

CatFile=..\Desert\Desert.cat
//CatFile=..\GermanyCE\GermanyCE.cat
//CatFile=..\VietnamSEA\VietnamSEA.ca

The "CatFile=" is what you should worry about, and the other two are commented out. If you have just SF2 then you don't have to worry about messing with the file.

Well it worked, I just created the Terrains folder like you said and added the items like Wrench said in the readme.

Thank you both for the help 

• Like 3