GKABS

BOEING’S SILENT EAGLE

I doubt, that it is possible to make a F-15 stealthy. The design of the air intakes is so, that you get a perfect look on the fans of the engine. The fans are perfect radar reflectors, which increase the size of the radar cross section dramatically. IIRC the F-15 had had a frontal radar cross section of 15 - 20 m², what is a lot!

• Like 1

I like this video ))  Stelth on minimals )) it's going to the third world war, so the F-15s will still serve, I'm sure. The game has Silent Eagle, by the way. Great model, it's already possible to fly

I think the F-15 will fill the gap between the 4th and 5th generation fighters jet, and I think it will do the job since the F-22 project has been stopped, In my humble opinion, I think it's a cheap alternative to secure more, sell internationally and to provide air superiority for the United States Air Force. :wink:

Edited by GKABS
  • Like 1

If the Romulans can hide an entire bird of prey, then we can hide one little eagle. :starwars: 

• Haha 8

I Recon that would be a really nice bird and would love to get it into action:)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Richo said:

I Recon that would be a really nice bird and would love to get it into action:)

I totally agree with you:good:

There is so much irony to the new F-15 acquisitions by the USAF.

1st: The F-15A was the "hi" fighter in the "hi-lo" mix, meaning it cost too much to replace the F-4 with just F-15s, so the USAF was forced to buy a mix of F-15s and F-16s to get the number of aircraft it wanted. The F-15 was very expensive, only the F-14 cost more. Unlike the F-4, the F-15 was only purchased by a handful of foreign countries due to its high cost. Now, in a world where 5th gen fighters are far more expensive, the F-15 has become the "lo" part of the "hi-lo" mix.

2nd: The F-22 was the replacement for the F-15. However, the extremely high cost of production versus the lack of a credible threat restricted production to less than 200 aircraft. 1/4 the number desired to replace air superiority F-15Cs. With budget growing ever tighter, there is not enough money to justify operating and maintaining such a small number of aircraft compared to the other types in service. So, the F-22 will be retired to cut costs. Its replacement is the F-15. I suspect that this is the first time in history that an aircraft has replaced its replacement, especially considering how old the original design is. Imagine bringing back and upgraded P-40 to replace the F-4, that is the kind of time frame we are talking about with using an updated 1970s Eagle to replace the 2000s F-22.

• Like 1

The plan is to replace F-22 with NGAD and prototypes have already flown according to the USAF....they intend to keep F-22A around till that comes in (2030s maybe)

Politicians cancelled F-22 and now they realize the mistake and numbers are needed F-35 will have to pick up any slack.

Likewise the small F-15EX buy which only exists thanks to politics (the USAF clearly didn't want it) had to be justified to replace worn out F-15Cs although luckily for some of them they are already moving to F-35. The F-15EX unit cost looks horrendous for what you get and there are major changes compared to the other F-15CDEs they use.

The Air Force plans a “transition” from the F-22 to the NGAD, and “we felt like, now is a good time for us to be able to talk about how we’re going to bridge” between the two systems.

While the F-22 is a good airframe—it has been updated and will continue to receive upgrades, “mostly sensors,” Hinote said—the Air Force is anticipating “the sunset of the F-22 … in about the 2030-ish timeframe.” That won’t be the full retirement of the type, but the beginning of its phase-out, he said. By then the F-22 will be 25 years old and the Air Force should be deep into a new cycle of fielding NGAD and its successors on what could be as rapid as a five-year cycle.

https://www.airforcemag.com/new-force-design-ngad-needed-soon-f-22-sunset-begins-in-2030/

• Like 1

the funniest thing to me is how mission creep is going to make the F-15EX look bad. it was first proposed for one thing

its original purpose was to replace the Eagles in Air National Guard units.

all of those units have an air soveriegnty mission : they are the first called when someone gets highjacked, an airliner is in distress, someone is purposefully (or even accidentally) violating a no go zone, and when Russia (and one day China) wants to fly some large aircraft at the edge of our airspace.

you dont need stealth to be the night watchman of your own airspace. and for anyone misbehaving, yellow bands visible off pylons are a greater incentive to get your act straight than a closed weapons bay.

but it would defeat alot of arguements previously made on many topics by the brass to Congress and the public. so the optionally two seated Eagle will give the ANG units new missions to cover down on

plus the fastest way to do it was to base off the latest model currently in production, which was the QA iirc. there hasnt been a single seater Eagle built probably since the Obama administration.

my final take on it, is not replacing an F-4 with a P-40. its realizing you dont need to daily drive your 68 Camaro anymore, and getting a 22 Camaro. more bells and whistles, less time under the hood to keep it running (plus under warranty) and realistically about the same performance as when the original came off the line. yeah it will be more expensive (direct cost or converting 1968 dollars to 2022 dollars) but everything is over time. and while not an F-35 (or22) hater, you do need different tools for some jobs.

• Like 1

We’re on the brink of antigravity which will make all of the forgone tech ancient over night.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Erik said:

We’re on the brink of antigravity which will make all of the forgone tech ancient over night.

Long time ago we already had it. Was called Reichsflugscheibe. Was not the hit.

Another interesting video regarding the F-15EX