Sign in to follow this  
Chugster

Can you move the Save game/mod folder to a different drive?

Just wondering as i need to make some room and was wondering if i could move the file to a different drive and make the game see the new location?

Hi Chugster,

have now double-checked the Options.ini file that resides in the main user directory for SF2 and there are two entries, at the bottom - that are maybe worth tinkering with so that they point to another drive. Default values there are:

[Mods]
ModsEnabled=TRUE
Directory=C:\Users\Yourusername\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2
Editors=StrikeFighters2

[ScreenShots]
Directory=C:\Users\Yourusername\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\ScreenShots
Format=JPG

Might be worth setting the directory for those two entries from "C:\" to "D:\," or really any drive that you commonly use. Then save the Options.ini file - and have the user directory "StrikeFighters2" folder in the correct directory/path. Load up SF2 to test, and if all of your mods./aircraft are visible in the in-sim. menu, this indicates that the new drive path works.

Edited by Crawford
  • Thanks 1

[Mods]
ModsEnabled=TRUE
Directory=G:\AirWar_Vietnam
Editors=StrikeFighters2

[ScreenShots]
Directory=G:\AirWar_Vietnam\ScreenShots
Format=BMP

Crawford is most of the way there, so instead of posting the link on the topic, i'll tell the rest of the story

fire your game up for the first time generating the mod folder

adjust the settings in the options ini (theyll be towards the bottom)

[Mods]
ModsEnabled=TRUE
Directory=(whatever folder you want):\Users\Kevin\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 test
Editors=StrikeFighters2

[ScreenShots]
Directory=(whatever folder you want):\Users\Kevin\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 test\ScreenShots
Format=JPG

then save the options.ini and version.ini within the mod folder.

demo.jpg.5b32618936c0b32caf3806790678155e.jpg

cut the folders, make a new mod folder wherever youre putting them, and paste them in.

run the game, take a screenshot. when done, you should have the sceenshot in the drive you wanted it in. that will tell you if you did it right

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Crawford said:

Hi Chugster,

have now double-checked the Options.ini file that resides in the main user directory for SF2 and there are two entries, at the bottom - that are maybe worth tinkering with so that they point to another drive. Default values there are:

[Mods]
ModsEnabled=TRUE
Directory=C:\Users\Yourusername\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2
Editors=StrikeFighters2

[ScreenShots]
Directory=C:\Users\Yourusername\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\ScreenShots
Format=JPG

Might be worth setting the directory for those two entries from "C:\" to "D:\," or really any drive that you commonly use. Then save the Options.ini file - and have the user directory "StrikeFighters2" folder in the correct directory/path. Load up SF2 to test, and if all of your mods./aircraft are visible in the in-sim. menu, this indicates that the new drive path works.

Usually it's just simpler to paste a link to the original post, but I am nonetheless flattered to see you ventriloquating on my behalf Crawford. :biggrin:

Cheers all and happy posting in various voices,

Von S :smile:

• Like 2

There's also an article in the SF2 Knowledge Base somewhere too. (don't remember where, but it's there somewheres!)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, VonS said:

Usually it's just simpler to paste a link to the original post, but I am nonetheless flattered to see you ventriloquating on my behalf Crawford. :biggrin:

Cheers all and happy posting in various voices,

Don't pull my leg.

Everything can be. I have my own "Knowledge Base", consisting of text files under names recognizable to me, and usually the authors of the saved quotes are not indicated there. Sometimes these files come in handy as answers to "frequently asked questions"

Anyway, all credit to you, of course. I don’t need other people’s laurels, because my own laurels will last me for the rest of my life.

So you took offense anyway?

Pist.jpg.ce9ab77f29f6acd11df89dc294592e56.jpg

Edited by Crawford
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Wrench said:

There's also an article in the SF2 Knowledge Base somewhere too. (don't remember where, but it's there somewheres!)

thats why we posted the steps. easier to type it out than hunt it down :lol:

might wanna sticky it up top though. its becoming a common question

• Like 1

I'll see what I can do

• Like 1

Ok i must be being really dense as I cant see an options.ini file anywhere...is it meant to be in the main folder with all the various EXE files or somewhere else?

EDIT: oh its IN the saved games folder....that doesnt make sense, shouldnt there be something in the main game folder that points to the save game folder?

Edited by Chugster

as the commercial says, thats not how this works (TW games and main game folder that is )

pretty much leave whats in teh main game folder alone. the options ini and versions ini need to stay in the folder in teh Saved Games area.

the rest can go about anywhere you please, so long as its called out within the options ini as above.