Sign in to follow this  
Major Bloodnok

Ghost of Kyiv

Currently nothing more than another typical propaganda war story as it stands.

Note - this thread like the others will have a very limited lifetime unless people start to question and check what they are reading (from both sides).

• Like 2

i'm sorry but i simply just find it hard to believe a mig-29 shooting down a Su-35 unless the sukhoi pilot is short of a drooling imbecile.

• Haha 1

It was hard to believe MiG-17s were taking down F-4s and F-105s, but it happened. There is no substitute for good pilots and good tactics. I doubt either side of the current conflict has had much money to spend on training and maintenance, so the winner will be whoever figures out how to use their strengths against the enemy's weaknesses. At present, I have seen no facts, only hearsay and speculation. But I don't doubt that it is possible for a MiG-29 to beat an Su-35 for the same reasons that a MiG-25 was able to down an F/A-18 Hornet.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, streakeagle said:

It was hard to believe MiG-17s were taking down F-4s and F-105s, but it happened. There is no substitute for good pilots and good tactics. I doubt either side of the current conflict has had much money to spend on training and maintenance, so the winner will be whoever figures out how to use their strengths against the enemy's weaknesses. At present, I have seen no facts, only hearsay and speculation. But I don't doubt that it is possible for a MiG-29 to beat an Su-35 for the same reasons that a MiG-25 was able to down an F/A-18 Hornet.

It seems it was more or less the same, they were stalking them at crazy low levels. The footage which was initially dubbed as a Russian Fulcrum launching a rocket salvo at civilians, with a kid crying on the background (got me pissed like crazy) seemed to be an Ukranian Fulcrum ripple firing R73s with one of them going dud into the building.

It sounds crazy, but I want to believe there was one guy who pulled that off. Hell, just several of them stacking the VVS would be as good really.

Edited by macelena

We're talking about a MiG-29 with a really limited loadout, how many sorties and how many missiles launched to get that kill list? And all this without being shoot down. 

Seems like a tale to raise moral but mostly fake.

This reminds me the case of Colonel Tomb and his MiG-17 in Vietnam.

• Like 1

Here the first confirmed picture of the pilot, called Ghost of Kiev:

TopGun.thumb.jpg.9303b7bddaee210bff9b0f1d995da4c5.jpg

• Haha 7

A mig-29 can easily trash an su-35. Technology doesn't mean squat, its always been the skill of the human in the seat first.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, WitchyWoman said:

A mig-29 can easily trash an su-35. Technology doesn't mean squat, its always been the skill of the human in the seat first.

One yes, two as well, but that many by the same pilot without being shoot down and being capable to return to base everytime is barely possible. It has been debunked tons of times.

Edited by Erik
Translations are sometimes not so good.
  • Like 1

The video has been debunked. But I have now seen multiple reports that the Ukraine government had officially claimed 6 planes and 2 helicopters downed. I have seen images of one of the helicopters, a Ka-52. It is not much of a discussion if you tell people not to enter it because you don't like what they have said. Government claims are not facts, but they have not been debunked unless you count the opposing government's claims. Both sides are subject to false propaganda, but I will give Ukraine the benefit of the doubt until objective evidence proves otherwise. I did not see claims from the Ukraine government of a single pilot scoring all of those kills. Nor did the claims specify what types were shot down or what types achieved the kills. For all we know, all of the claimed kills may have been achieved by AAA and SAMs. I know the Ka-52 appears to have been taken down by a man-pad SAM.

Edited by streakeagle

You mean this Ka-52?

621bbbc4efb6f_Ka-52abgeschossen.thumb.jpg.593b42ce738450af304eda40b6cc0551.jpg

It got a hit in the left flare dispenser and the left engine was hit by some debris.

The helicopter seems to be more or less intact, what means that it was an emergency landing. Otherwise the pilots would have been ejected automatically. Its a good question, why the pilots not have flown home? The Ka-52 can fly with only one engine.

It seems to be, that the will to fight is not very strong at the russian military. Its a proof of the old word, that the russian soldiers is worth noting when acting as aggressor. Only as defender the russian soldiers are great. And Russia is the aggressor, without doubt. Thatswhy they will lose this war.

• Dislike 1

4 hours ago, Gepard said:

The helicopter seems to be more or less intact, what means that it was an emergency landing. Otherwise the pilots would have been ejected automatically. Its a good question, why the pilots not have flown home? The Ka-52 can fly with only one engine.

Controlability issues maybe?

Seems to be damage to blades on both upper and lower rotors.

Saw a vid of a su-25 being directly hit by a SAM (Probably a MANPAD). Still flew and used some unguided rockets on a target. Want to see the vid?

Falcon

The theory being passed along on the internet is that its not a single MiG-29, but the UKAF is using what is described as guerrilla tactics, with single aircraft using hit and run on VVS.

14 hours ago, fallenphoenix1986 said:

Controlability issues maybe?

Seems to be damage to blades on both upper and lower rotors.

Maybe. But the rotorblades of a modern combat helicopter are so designed, that they can run at least 30 minutes or more after taken a hit up to caliber 30 mm.

Agreed daddyairplanes

• Like 1

Aren't these likely the MiG-29MU1 variants and possibly even the MiG-29MU2s we're talking about here? I'd read somewhere that the MiG-29MU1 had an upgraded radar that put it on par with the capabilities of the SU-35's Irbis-E system. Regardless of whether it's a match for the Flanker-E's detection, MU1s upgrade is supposed to improve its detection by a 1/3rd, so maybe that's making a difference. I rarely fly Fulcrums and Flankers while siming, so I'm admittedly ignorant about how these 2 birds match up in terms of flight capabilities.  If these Ukrainian Fulcrums are the more upgraded variants though, should we be so surprised that they're taking down some Flanker-Es?

As well, what about the rumored upgrades to Ukrainian Fulcrums by the the Israeli corporation Elbit Systems of Israel. Did that ever happen?

The Ka-52 was hit pretty bad on the left side. They surely would have flown home if they could, but shrapnel went through everything aft of the cockpit. They were probably losing a critical system when they put it down on the ground. The avionics were still energized, but that doesn't mean the control systems were working very well.

Edited by streakeagle

10 hours ago, streakeagle said:

The Ka-52 was hit pretty bad on the left side. They surely would have flown home if they could, but shrapnel went through everything aft of the cockpit. They were probably losing a critical system when they put it down on the ground. The avionics were still energized, but that doesn't mean the control systems were working very well.

All critical systems are doubled at the Ka-52 and in the engine cover are Kevlar liners. Normally the heli should be able to humble home. Maybe the crew was so shocked ....

What i miss, when i see the video, is the IR-Jammer. The basic platform of the jammer is there, but not the jammer itself. To fly without this device in a warzone is suicide!