How do i make American and other allied planes less effective. Even on easy setting, any Russian plane I take off with is eliminated very quickly. I'd like to play some of the Russian planes and live long enough to complete some missions.

I wish there was a fix but I get the same problem and you'd have to mess with availability and the like. I fly NATO so I don't get that problem. Or if you have the Mission Editor try and delete the flights to make it more realistic. If not there's not much I'm sure that can  be done.

36 minutes ago, 1Patriot-of-many said:

Even on easy setting, any Russian plane I take off with is eliminated very quickly.

And what is wrong with it? :biggrin:

:skull:

:secret: perhaps you are playing the wrong side then...

I think many noticed (over the years) that the red side is generally downgraded...

• Haha 2

Several factors have impact on aerial combat and what you describe has to do with which aircrafts fly, which armament is being carried, mission type, which service, which years, training level, presence of enemy air defense etc.

If you're new to the sim, you need some time to understand its nature, radar use, air to air missile use etc.

give russian air forces some money so that they can catch up with their avionics technology for real

• Haha 2

If you change thw side you will see the same and will ask "How do I make russian fighters less effective". the realism of air battles of modern aircraft in this game is very arbitrary. It is better to fight in the period of 60-80 years

Its an game Made in USA. Of course american planes and weapons are overrated. What do you expect? If you look into the datas of AIM-9B and AA-2, which are pratically the same, you will see, that the Sidewinder has better values than the Atoll. So it is in this game. You must live with it. In a russian game it would be exactly the opposite.

2 hours ago, 1Patriot-of-many said:

How do i make American and other allied planes less effective.

Practice.

• Like 1

The main issue I have when flying Red Air is Sparrows kicking me in the face once Phantoms become more common, when in reality most of those shots wouldn't have been taken without ID being possible, you could reduce Sparrow's theorical rmax range to represent that. Other than that, early on, I would take a MiG-17 or a MiG-19 (stock) against pretty much everything in a dogfight. If you mean with mods, it is pretty much how they are set up. Not that it is completely unrealistic though. 

• Like 1

There was a time when the US weapon effectiveness was very close to historic numbers from Vietnam and Israel. Toward the end of Strike Fighters development, financial considerations drove Third Wire to focus more on making the game fun for casual players than hard core people wanting realism. Suddenly, early AIM-9s and AIM-7s behaved a lot more like later AIM-9s and AIM-120s. 

• Like 1

Isn't there a radar size/detection range setting in each aircraft's data.ini for AI purposes? I seem to recall when the first stealth aircraft started getting released, one of the main problems was AI being able to detect you from 40kms+ out (I'm not going to coddle you Imperial using folks. Grow up, learn metric and join the rest of us in the 21st century. :wink: ) and it was pretty common for whole flights to light off medium range AAMs like you were a conventional aircraft. I remember ini updates focused on the detection range setting as a hotfix to better simulate stealthiness because of limitations of the game itself. If you compare the entries in the data.inis for, say, the F-22 and Su-27, for example, you'll see what I mean. This was 'fix' was a double edged sword, however, because if you reduced the detection range too much, AI pilots would suddenly have the vision range of Mr. Magoo and would only engage at that range, even if their radar and munitions could technically engage at significantly longer distances.

Failing that, you could always try LOMAC. Last time I played that, I remember the Russian dev team that bought it or otherwise took over the support of the game nerfed the Christ out of all the Western and NATO aircraft and weapons systems. I mean, the AMRAAM and AIM-54 were a tad OP with the release version, but real world notoriously underperforming AAMs like the R-27 series were practically silver bullets afterwards.

On 3/2/2022 at 12:00 AM, SayWhatt said:

Isn't there a radar size/detection range setting in each aircraft's data.ini for AI purposes? I seem to recall when the first stealth aircraft started getting released, one of the main problems was AI being able to detect you from 40kms+ out (I'm not going to coddle you Imperial using folks. Grow up, learn metric and join the rest of us in the 21st century. :wink: ) and it was pretty common for whole flights to light off medium range AAMs like you were a conventional aircraft. I remember ini updates focused on the detection range setting as a hotfix to better simulate stealthiness because of limitations of the game itself. If you compare the entries in the data.inis for, say, the F-22 and Su-27, for example, you'll see what I mean. This was 'fix' was a double edged sword, however, because if you reduced the detection range too much, AI pilots would suddenly have the vision range of Mr. Magoo and would only engage at that range, even if their radar and munitions could technically engage at significantly longer distances.

Failing that, you could always try LOMAC. Last time I played that, I remember the Russian dev team that bought it or otherwise took over the support of the game nerfed the Christ out of all the Western and NATO aircraft and weapons systems. I mean, the AMRAAM and AIM-54 were a tad OP with the release version, but real world notoriously underperforming AAMs like the R-27 series were practically silver bullets afterwards.

LOMAC? What's that?

• Haha 1

Lock On: Modern Air Combat

10 hours ago, EricJ said:

Lock On: Modern Air Combat

Thanks, I have it, haven't played it much over the years, never could get the keyboard and joystick commands right. I'll have to try it again.

1 minute ago, 1Patriot-of-many said:

Thanks, I have it, haven't played it much over the years, never could get the keyboard and joystick commands right. I'll have to try it again.

Okay and good luck...

• Haha 1