With the large amount of VRAM available onboard modern video cards (12 gigs and up of VRAM) I am curious what kind of performance improvements you guys with high end cards are seeing. 

I would love to hear from some of you that have 6 or more Gigs of VRAM, and how the upgrade improved your sim experience.

When combined with a Fast  powerful CPU and a large amount of fast system memory  I would think the VRAM  would bring a much higher level of performance in SF2. especially when using extended horizon distance draw mods. 

There really has not been much talk about getting the most performance  out of this sim hardware wise, in a while. 

Thoughts? 

The limit for me is the monitor's refresh rate. My flat panel display is 60 Hz and I can hold that all day long with max quality graphics and hi-resolution mods. When I use VorpX to run SF2 in VR, I can hold 90 fps steady with my Reverb G2, which looks amazing. I was already able to do that with my older PC with a core i5 and GTX 1080 with 8 GB RAM, but I haven't bothered to check VRAM, RAM, or cpu usage at all.

Edited by streakeagle
  • Like 1

I just ran SF2V Vietnam Air & Ground War mod using the stock Longest Day Part I mission at 4K with Ultimate graphics settings (mirror, shadows, the works!) using my old i5-4690K and GTX 1080 8GB. All 4 cpu cores show 100%, RAM is about 6-6.5 GB in use, gpu is at 40% usage with less than 1.9 GB VRAM in use. I am using the "FAST" mode for Vsync that allows greater than my monitor's refresh rate of 60 Hz without tearing. I am seeing an avg of 83-85 fps but the real-time indication is mainly 90 fps with a low of 67 fps and a high of 125 fps. Other than the cpu being pegged, the system is mostly idling. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 9:19 AM, streakeagle said:

I just ran SF2V Vietnam Air & Ground War mod using the stock Longest Day Part I mission at 4K with Ultimate graphics settings (mirror, shadows, the works!) using my old i5-4690K and GTX 1080 8GB. All 4 cpu cores show 100%, RAM is about 6-6.5 GB in use, gpu is at 40% usage with less than 1.9 GB VRAM in use. I am using the "FAST" mode for Vsync that allows greater than my monitor's refresh rate of 60 Hz without tearing. I am seeing an avg of 83-85 fps but the real-time indication is mainly 90 fps with a low of 67 fps and a high of 125 fps. Other than the cpu being pegged, the system is mostly idling. 

Thank you for this. :good:  This clears up a lot of questions I have had. Do you think that SF2 will fully utilize the 8 or 16  cores of a  Ryzen CPU?

Edited by Icarus999

I have played it in VR on my Ryzen 5800, but I have never looked at the task manager. I can't perform the same exact test because it doesn't have the Vietnam Air & Ground War installed, but I can play the same mission.

• Like 1