GKABS

Russian T-72B3 and T-80BVMs side armour ERA

The content of the side armour ERA attached to the side skirts of Russian T-72B3 and T-80BVMs, it truly look like egg cartons. 

6223570358cbc_images(1).jpeg.c222acfedf9a3911033aed762d4e15ee.jpeg20220305_151649.thumb.jpg.790e7eced7e23a4a5d2e49808636b93e.jpg20220305_151745.thumb.jpg.d22c08a4ccca8644581a00fdf1dd6737.jpg20220305_151749.jpg.8b269e95f8bc481b321a847d55a74316.jpg

But to my surprise I didn't see any sand inside of them in the Ukrainian Russian war.

20220305_150832.thumb.jpg.03acbd65cd8767d9ebd276bb74533f1e.jpg

I maybe mistaken, but I wondered if these side ERA are helping without the sand?

If I model any one of these tanks I will add the side ERA. :wink:

Edited by GKABS
  • Like 1

It helps without the sand, but not very much.

It is not an ERA. An ERA has explosives inside. It is a simple spaced armour, which is intended to ignite the fuse of a shaped charge warhead befor he can reach the basic armour. If it is filled with sand the build up of the Hohlladungsstachel (sorry i miss the english term, perhaps shaped charge beam or stinger or so) is hampered. If it is made correct you will get not one big Hohlladungsstachel, but a lot of smaler ones, which are less powerfull. To say some numbers: In the T-72 turret you will find a inlet of melted sand (Sandstäbe) wich is 13 cm thick. This inlet is as good as 40 cm steel. Today is this outdated, but in the 1970th it was good.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Hi Gepard, thank you for correcting me.  it's in front of the side armour of the tank. no ERA.

Well, my friend .. you can always buy one from Ukrainian forces and examine it ;-} It's cheap ...

Forgive me my irony, but I really can't stay calm when I see my Ukrainian brothers crying ...

18 minutes ago, guuruu said:

Well, my friend .. you can always buy one from Ukrainian forces and examine it ;-} It's cheap

Yes indeed ;)

IMG_20220226_095234.png

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GKABS said:

Yes indeed ;)

I reckon you guys have a thing or two to say about invasions by dictators getting too full of themselves

• Like 3

Here is a chart I have of armor arrays for Soviet/Russian tanks.

2.thumb.png.401005f72bf6978c6f124e17cb377a24.png

• Like 3

Hohlladungsstachel 

Maybe "plasma jet"??? since the shaped charge warhead refelects from conical disc, and creates that jet of molten/plasma material.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, macelena said:

I reckon you guys have a thing or two to say about invasions by dictators getting too full of themselves

Believe me or not, but I'm really trying to don't show how angry I am ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, guuruu said:

Believe me or not, but I'm really trying to don't show how angry I am ...

I do believe you man. I've been frustrated and pissed off at the whole thing since the invasion started. Just like with the Syrian Civil War or when Daesh steamrolled Iraq, or Libya when they started the air strikes on cities.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, guuruu said:

Believe me or not, but I'm really trying to don't show how angry I am ..

I hear you, same with me.

• Like 1

Yes its terrible what happen in the Ukraine.

But to be honest, i had expected that the Russians will act in this way from day one of invasion. So it was a big surprise for me, that in the first days ukrainian civilists were able to stop russian columns by simply standing in groups on the road. This was completly contrary to the soviet and the russian doctrine.

I have learned in the bad old days, which seems now become to the good old days, that commanders were not allowed to push armoured troops into hostile villages of towns. They had to stop and wait till the artillery would had done the job. So the soviets had done it in Afghanistan. So they have done it in Checheniya. So they have done it in Syria. So they had planed to fight in Europe.

I remember a day in mid 1989 when i was a member of a deligation who visited a soviet helicopter base. The soviet pilots proudly showed us the ODAB-500 bombs. Fuel aerosol weapons. They said: "Before the ground troops attacked a Kishlak (afghan village) we dropped one of these. One was enough to flatten a Kishlak and it is also enough for a west german village! The nuke of the small man!"

What i want to say is: We have not yet seen the top escalation of russian military strikes. I fear it will become worse.

ERA

I have I have bread the same website and that's where I got the information that they are ERA. so @CrazyhorseB34 are they or are they not ERA? I know @Gepard say It is not an ERA. An ERA has explosives inside.

Edited by GKABS