Hi, guys, could anyone confirm if the bombs in the picture are Mk.83s? I assume that odd arrangment on the MERs is to provide enough separation. I also wonder if TERs could have been used instead. Thank you in advance!

tumblr_osf3tbjIfl1s6qr4mo1_1280.jpg

This Mk-83 was frequently used by A-6s, both Vietnam and later.

A crew that received the Navy Cross for a night strike on the Red River ferry docks in the Hanoi area delivered 13 Mk83SE loaded on MERs on all five pylons.

I'll search in my ref  if I've some pics for you

This is the type of load is possible with the tweaked MER of Homefrye pack ( if you neede them mate...).

Edited by RustyKurnass

could be but to be sure we should have a picture from the side

Image4.thumb.jpg.7281200f7b836473f0ae82411b3b5314.jpg

Image2.thumb.jpg.0309a69e4354120fe8a33b0a9c2ac783.jpg

• Like 5

Oddly, I could not find many more pictures of this load setup. In fact I found just 1. Judging by the length of the bombs, I would say those are Mk.83 indeed. I have already editted the wonderful MER created by Ravenclaw to allow such setup as per my needs. Just needed to be sure of the type of bomb.

A-6_Mk83.jpg

• Like 1

For sure, Mk83s with conical fins. In the A-6E SWIP era a typical load was 10, like in the photo. Although that may be pre-SWIP because on the presence of A-7Es on either side of the Intruder. Either way, the load is 10 Mk83s with conical fins.  And we did not have TERs in my squadron (VA-35) during either of my deployments in the 1990s. 

Edited by raygunsnap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is the length issue why the B-52 stuck with the M117 until they were all used up? I wondered why I never saw B-52s with 27 Mk83s internally.   

possibly part of it. i imagine  a bigger reason the BUFFs got the 117s and the faster jets got the bigger mk 80 series was the B-52 could carry alot of bombs, anything with an F in front not so much. so the fighters  got hte bigger bombs (mk 83, 84) to max out the tonnage in the limited weps stations

curious about dimensions of the british 1000 lb bombs, as BUFFs carried them two or three missions out of Diego Garcia. cant recall at the moment if they were internal or external either though