daddyairplanes

Win11 opinion: General usage AND SF2

bout as the title says. looking for opinions on both your experiences with it in general as well as SF2 specific experiences so far.

evidently my school/VA computer is able to upgrade. wont do it before May (stick with what i know for the semester), but debating if i should or not at all.

I have no performance issues whatsoever.
SF2 runs very well on my rig, the only crashes that occur are those that are caused because the install is rather f***ed up... ;-)

Cheers, mate

• Thanks 1

Was going to post this before, but hadn't read much about it so figured everyone was doing O.K. with the current Windows upgrade.  I don't consider myself a big-time flight simulator user, but I have the whole TW package with a variety of separated installs and upgrades on both my W11 desktop and my W10 notebook (and yes, alongside some other "more modern" flight simulators) and no issues with any of them right out of the box when W11 became available.  Regardless of W10 or W11, and IMHO, the only noticeable difference between the two rigs running either SF2 / FE2 is how the software interacts with the installed graphics cards capacities.  To wrap this up, my biggest problems have nothing to do with the operating systems, but invariably come from occasionally trying to stretch the capabilities of the TW flight engine a little too far, and of incorporating an occasional "self-inflicted wound" (read "stupid change that doesn't work") into the programs.

622dd6aa2f641_U.S.C.G.DouglasR5D-4(1955)(1a).thumb.jpg.fcecffb57d9445ecb76640859eeeba66.jpg      

• Like 2

Win11 is really Win10 with minor improvements. So, if you're running Win10 your machine will tolerate Win11. My Win11 install looks much like a Win7 install, so did my Win10 for that matter. I don't need all that frilly GUI look and feel stuff, I much prefer everything to be where things are supposed to be or where I know them to be. The two biggest changes are the Start menu, and the right click menu. Win11 moved more into Apps and widgets, but I've never been into widgets so that's not significant to me. There are some improvements to networking, and I like the updated power shell. I did buy a new Crucial P5 Plus SSD with read/write speeds up to 6600MB/s and dumped in a new 32GB DDR4 single sided stick and my cold start to fully loaded desktop time improved to 8 seconds. Win11 has been stable with no crashes or issues to report. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Erik, that "frilly GUI" is one of the reasons im waiting to change (and debating doing so at all). my daughter updated her Surface, and when i went to do something on it  a few weeks back, was definetly giving it weird looks and wondering where stuff was.

can i deduce from your post that the general appearance/layout can be reverted back to something more familiar? i didnt mess with my kids system for more than 5 mins, and it was hers so wasnt gonna change stuff up

thanks Muesli and Silberpfiel for your input too. and that Coastie bird looks good

Edited by daddyairplanes

16 minutes ago, daddyairplanes said:

Erik, that "frilly GUI" is one of the reasons im waiting to change (and debating doing so at all). my daughter updated her Surface, and when i went to do something on it  a few weeks back, was definetly giving it weird looks and wondering where stuff was.

can i deduce from your post that the general appearance/layout can be reverted back to something more familiar? i didnt mess with my kids system for more than 5 mins, and it was hers so wasnt gonna change stuff up

thanks Muesli and Silberpfiel for your input too. and that Coastie bird looks good

Yes, in fact I just changed my right click menu back to the old explorer.exe look, it's been bugging me but since writing my reply I decided to fix it. My Win11 is now back to Win7/10 feel. The only thing I can't change back is the start menu layout but if you play with it enough in settings > personalization > start you can get it close enough that it won't bother you. I'm having no issues beating my install into submission. I should also say that new ToDo List and Office syncing to my Samsung phone is a bloody blessing. I can now use my phone as an extension of my computer even when the computer is at home. They are really giving Apple a run for their money which is what I think the rollout of Win11 was really all about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So far the only issues I've had with Win11 and SF2 is Alt-tabbing and the like. I fixed the Sticky Keys issue as I use Shift for my brakes and the like but that was as said, a fixed issue. Other than that I really have no issues with the game.

First thing I did was move the bottom Start menu to the left where it is supposed to be. :stars:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, MigBuster said:

First thing I did was move the bottom Start menu to the left where it is supposed to be. :stars:

Fact and turned off all the taskbar features except the search icon