Sign in to follow this  
gaw

pray remind me

1.21........what a magnificent lot to absorb....thank you Devs!!!  40+ changes to explore!!!  W/ each patch the game resets itself on a few levels, no biggie, but I've had to re order a few things each time to make it familiar........and one of them is the grey text cluster...upper left....FPS, position, etc....and I can't find the key to hide it.  I don't want to know the FPS anymore...the game plays beautifully and I spent years chasing those numbers instead of wallowing in WOFF.  Whatever you guys have done to make this sim play well is working and this last patch is a wake up to look into the dull, endless work that recon must have been......cameras, drop bags.....awesome!!!  What are the keystrokes to hide that upper left info grouping pls.   THX!!!

Nope....tried that.  Z used to pull up that info......but doesn't seem to take it away anymore.  But thx....

Sounds extremely weird - Always been the key to pull it up and down. Might want to check the program WOFFKeys and see if it's somehow switched with something else.

Did you use a backup and restore after you upgraded?  If so you may have an outdated WOFFkeys.xca file

expect you're all right.....haven't done the back up and restore....my bad...but you've given me a springboard....thx

looking thru the bindings and functions....I dont see Z assigned to anything (or do I need new glasses)?  thx

Well, then you should just be able to bind it to said function, if I remember correctly. If you don't have any particular keybinds you can just reset all binding with one of the buttons on the top right corner. That should fix it.

Thx.......did that.  Reset all bindings....no change.  I still don't know what that cluster of info top left is called in the key list, and I've gone over the list 10 times....nor do I see ANYTHING bound to the Z key.  But in further news....NVIDIA has injected a supersampling menu into the main directory somehow......and I banged on the highest setting just for fun.....and the game looks awesome.  Maybe I haven't paid enough attention to the SS in the workshop....but check it out if you have an NVIDIA card

hope they do....but back to the same question...do you know what that cluster is called and have you found the Z key bound to anything in the list?....thx

Sorry you are having problems, gaw.

On my installation, in the WOFFKeys.exe program in the WOFF Toolbox folder, the "Z" key is for "Cycle TAC information." It's fourth on my list just below "Brakes" and above "Screenshot."

If you see it, click on it, which should bring up the binding menu, then assign "Z" if it is not already assigned.

If it is already assigned, you may have a conflict with your joystick or keyboard controllers.

Hope this helps.

Genuinely not sure. It was one of the keybinds I just figured on my own and I have never checked. 

EDIT: Just saw BB's response. There you go!

Edited by trustworthykebab

Bob.......you nailed it....THANK YOU!!!!  

Has anybody seen the NVIDIA thingie in the directory...or tried it?

In the Toolbox folder? Yes, I just tried it at 2X super-sampling. but I haven't had a look in the game yet.

b......yes.  I'm a bit appalled at how fixed I am on having the screen looking just so....but was so over looking at fps after years of chasing that chimera.  I'm girding my loins to soak in what 1.21 has given us and didn't want to deal w/ distractions....thank you for the road forward.

who knows what will work on what system.....mine is pretty good....but the look @ full on SS from NVIDIA via that icon was amazing...like I'd wiped butter smears off my glasses.  And how did they insert that into the mother folder?  And there didn't seem to be any FPS hit  (this was before I dumped the Z key info).  mkae of it what you will but damn....the sim looks better all the time.....thx devs

Edited by gaw

OK.....next!  What are the colored lines on the breifing map?  Does lowering one's fuel load add performance? (everybody else seems to rocket around regardless.....EA overspeed dives undamaged, soaring performance while I'm wallowing impotently under the furball)....and I think I have to reduce rear gunner from "normal".....I'm totally hosed everytime I come even close to a two seater such that I often chicken out when one appears and circle discretely aside while pounding the attack button.

This is no complaint....I swear...and no doubt ALL these answers are written large on an FAQ or fact sheet painstakingly wrintten out to suit the meanest understanding by the devs.  But my understanding seems to be inadequate to the task so I beg your good offices....thx

Just flew a mission in a Pup....and the transluscent panels in the upper wing are perfect....what beautiful work....thx all.

M. Gaw,

1) I believe the colored lines have something to do with either the Regional Air Activity or the Forced Encounters settings in Workshop. Setting Regional Air Activity to high increases the diameter of the circles. Turning on Forced Encounters may do the same thing. 

2) I believe that reducing fuel load does have an effect on performance, but the difference is relatively small.

3) Yeah, the AI is able to avoid wing-breaking due to overspeed in a dive, which also gives it a bit of a "zoom" ability, too, in certain circumstances. An across the board increase in parasitic drag forces might solve the problem to an extent, but also might cause other FM problems for both AI and player. 

4) I have my rear-gunner settings set to easy because of this very issue. 

Hope that helps.

As BB says

1) They are the ranges of enemy activity  - inner is where more action could be expected.

2) It depends on the aircraft, some fuel loads re very close to the pilot others not and that can affect the balance.  That’s why some can behave better or worse after a long mission as the Center of gravity moves.

4) do not approach from behind, otherwise you will be a relatively "still" target in the sky,  you need to move rapidly across which means getting close but get above and in front then come in with a slashing dive rinse repeat.  Or get underneath and as you overtake pull up and shoot, dive and climb back up, under.

Thanks, Pol.

Yeah, I forgot to factor in my poor tactics when approaching two-seaters. Almost every time I have been killed by a two-seater, it was because I was approaching them directly from behind. Much better to use diving, slashing attacks, but that requires very good gunnery skills, which I am also not very good at. 

In summary: when fighting scouts, always try to get on their six. When fighting two-seaters, NEVER get on their six (unless the observer is kaput). 

Edited by BuckeyeBob

All good and sage advise......thank you.  The enemy range thingie was well documented and clear, thank you.  I was asking about the different colored lines on the mission map between waypoints....orange, red, and green?  Thx

21 hours ago, gaw said:

All good and sage advise......thank you.  The enemy range thingie was well documented and clear, thank you.  I was asking about the different colored lines on the mission map between waypoints....orange, red, and green?  Thx

I don't know for sure but it appears to me that the green lines show the route from one waypoint to the next.  The orange ones signify that you patrol back and forth between the two waypoints multiple times.  The green one is the return to the aerodrome from the last waypoint.