Sign in to follow this  
CaptSopwith

WOFF: More Lethal than Ever

Perhaps I'm getting rusty as I round 40 but it feels like WOFF is more dangerous than I remember it!

1.21 in particular has really amped up the difficulty. In addition to signing up for the truly suicidal work of being in the Reccy department, I'm noticing a massive uptick in flak concentrations. My most recent mission (which also ended in pilot death... I'm not on a particularly great streak so far lol), had us chasing a lone RE8 over the lines and you could walk across the shrapnel flying around it! As we crossed from our side to theirs, the flak transferred to us. I haven't really had to avoid Archie in WOFF before - I do remember flying the classic Red Baron 3D zig-zag over the lines back in the day -  but it looks like I can add this to my list of things to worry about (enemy aircraft, mechanical failures, collisions, fuel leaks, fire...where does it end?).

And being on a new rig that can finally handle 1918 in its default form, I'm finding that avoiding a collision is nearly as difficult as not being shot to ribbons by an enemy pilot! After surviving being nearly shot down over his own airfield, my Bruno Stachel (always my name for my throw-away action campaigns) met the same fate as Boelcke - a fatal collision with my flight leader as he peeled off to head into an oncoming swarm of SE5's.

The sim really does, I think, fully model the WWI aviator experience from start to finish. From scribbling down notes in 1915 as ground crews take potshots at you with rifles to trying to just survive a full blown melee in 1918 with flak and enemy machines all around... I can think of no other sim that's ever covered the totality of the war on the Western Front like this. Just remarkable.

And the old gal still makes for some pretty fine screenshots.

Shot03-24-22-19-11-44.jpg

Shot03-24-22-19-19-59.jpg

Shot03-24-22-19-27-12.jpg

Shot03-24-22-19-29-20.jpg

Edited by CaptSopwith

You said it Gramps ! I like how even old people can get into this excellent sim.

Catch less of the old!  LOL