Sign in to follow this  
gombicek

Couple of newbie questions

Hi. I just bought the game and I'm doing a training. First impressions are that it is an awesome game. Immersion is quite high. But as I don't have trackir or any other headtracking, I use tactical display and hud. So the question: is there a way to make it larger? 

also question 2: I know it would be a long time before I need it but how does the claim system works? And what is the difference between normal and easy?

question 3: Is there a way to re-fly missions? If I die or something so I don't have to start over again and again while I'm learning.

Thanks.

Welcome to the WoFF series,

There is a way to increase TAC display but I can't find the link to the post now - I'm sure someone will find the relevant info. and let you know as soon as possible.

In terms of your other two questions -- check/select the option that says "pilot never dies," in the in-sim menu, and then you don't have to recreate a new pilot every time you crash while training, etc. There are three levels of difficulty in the claims system - the easiest level always awards claims and you never file a flight report; the medium level awards claims about 80-85% of the time, or so, and requires that a flight report be filed; the highest (historical) level awards claims about 50-60% of the time (approximately), and also requires always that a flight report be filed. Personally I prefer the medium claims level but I switch to the easiest level if flying lone wolf (otherwise, usually, a claim is not rewarded even if you file a detailed report, since there were no witnesses available).

Hopefully, in the future, OBD will implement the possibility that balloon crew, AAA batteries, etc., act as witnesses - then you should be fine with the medium difficulty claims system even if flying lone wolf. For max. historical frustration and difficulty, use the hardest-level claims system all the time.

EDIT: For a very cheap track-IR solution, perhaps look into FaceTrackNoir. FaceTrackNoir supports the WoFF series with the necessary drivers that are freely available in the official (NaturalPoint) TrackIR software package - once you install the relevant TrackIR drivers, you may then remove/uninstall the other NaturalPoint addons that are included in the installation process (but leave FaceTrackNoir installed, of course). Some WoFF-friendly pre-saved settings files for FaceTrackNoir are conveniently available under this post. Also, for an older thread on WoFF and FactTrackNoir, recommended is to check over this link.

Cheers & happy WoFFing,

Von S :smile:

Edited by VonS
Added info.

Another way around TracIr is SmoothTrack which is an app for a cell phone  that pairs with a computer program called OpenTrack.  This works very well and is easy to set up.  If you are like me you have a south facing window that blinds the TracIr camera so you can only use it during hours of darkness, SmoothTrack does not have that limitation and you don't need to use any hats or other reflectors because it is a face track devise that uses your phone camera.

Thanks. I just tried flying without hud and tactical display and it was ok with an instructior to follow. And I would say better, I was actually flying more by the guts as reading the tactical display and giving it too much attention. I remember trying facetrack way back then, like 6 or so years ago, maybe I'll give it a try again. Track Ir is imho overpriced. For now hat switch is working ok, although it is not as intuitive as head tracking for sure. Also training is going good, so far the number of take-offs is equal to number of landings. 

6 hours ago, gombicek said:

Also training is going good, so far the number of take-offs is equal to number of landings. 

Good show G and welcome. I seem to remember something similar along the lines of the love you make is equal to the love you take. Can't remember where. Never mind. I think you'll enjoy WoFF: BH&H II: Recon Wars a lot. But headtracking in some way, shape or form is, I'm afraid, a mandatory requirement to fully enjoy what WoFF has to offer. You must try harder.

You can edit the viweui.xml  in

C:\Users\<YOUR LOGON>\AppData\Roaming\OBD_Games\OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields

these lines are the TAC. Try editing the BGscale to something else such as 0.50   whatever and see.

<TacticalDisplay BGIMage="tactical_display.dds" BGPos="0 0" BGSize="512 512" BGScale="0.30" BackColor="0x1f0000FF" Mode="0"/>
        <TacticalDisplayMetric BGIMage="tactical_display.dds" BGPos="0 0" BGSize="512 512" BGScale="0.30" BackColor="0x1f0000FF" Mode="0"/>

Of course backup the original in case of errors.

To avoid dying if you like you can go into workshops settings, click "more" bottom right and change "pilot outcomes" to "easy" then you will never die.

Edited by Polovski
  • Like 1

Also sometimes when I start the mission in the training, the plane immediatly crashes after the start of the mission and wheels are sitting a bit under the ground. It seems random and in the quick flight it works ok. 

gombicek,

Welcome to our magnificent obsession.  Glad Pol sorted your question.

When circumstances permit, I encourage you in the strongest possible terms to get TrackIR.  I believe it to be the most transformative addition to the fight sim experience after the jump to joystick from using arrow keys.

3 hours ago, epower said:

gombicek,

Welcome to our magnificent obsession.  Glad Pol sorted your question.

When circumstances permit, I encourage you in the strongest possible terms to get TrackIR.  I believe it to be the most transformative addition to the fight sim experience after the jump to joystick from using arrow keys.

I have to agree, if you can any way swing it. It's useful in a number of games. Even trying ARMA with it will leave you wondering why all FPS don't have TrackIR support. I got by with earlier phases of OFF with padlock and snap views but now that I am used to it, even while watching my videos, I find myself turning my head trying to look around!

8 minutes ago, Rick Rawlings said:

I have to agree, if you can any way swing it. It's useful in a number of games. Even trying ARMA with it will leave you wondering why all FPS don't have TrackIR support. I got by with earlier phases of OFF with padlock and snap views but now that I am used to it, even while watching my videos, I find myself turning my head trying to look around!

Well yeah, I tend to play strategy games, turn based mostly and you don't need it there, or  condor 2, where it is nice to have but its ok without it, no fighting there so, don't need it that much. So while I hace my eyes on it for a long time, I'm still like I dont really need it. Maybe this game will change it. It is awesome what thay achieved with such an old engine. 

On 23/05/2022 at 5:48 PM, gombicek said:

Also sometimes when I start the mission in the training, the plane immediatly crashes after the start of the mission and wheels are sitting a bit under the ground. It seems random and in the quick flight it works ok. 

Make sure you are fully updated to the latest version -  (new one out today V1.29) please see downloads page on the website.