Sign in to follow this  
Carter28

Delete, Reinstall, But Everything Is Still There.

I've just run into the weirdest thing ever with a TW product. 

It's been a long time since i was flying and there were a few annoying glitches and such so i figured on just wiping everything and reinstalling from scratch. So i did and got a bit of a surprise. Not only were the same aircraft glitches still there, but the pilot roster and a couple of saved campaigns were there also. So i wiped everything again and this time went to C\ to make sure every last trace was gone and installed again. Same result. So i figured maybe something is up with the SF2 install exe so i moved it and all other SF material to a flash drive and copied another exe i had stored as a backup on an external HD.  Took a look at C\ again, installed and damned if everything was still the same!

Perhaps it's some kind of quirk in my computer?

Did you delete the stuff in the mod folder? That's the only thing I could think is causing that problem. There isn't a way for the game to reinstall the mods you introduced to it.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Did you delete the stuff in the mod folder? That's the only thing I could think is causing that problem. There isn't a way for the game to reinstall the mods you introduced to it.

That did the trick. I so completely forgot about the Mod folder that i actually had to look up how to find it. Saved the screenshots, deleted everything else and it zapped back to a vanilla install. I'll start on Ace Pilot flying a mission or two then install the Vietnam Air and Ground packs to return to recce work.

Many Thanks.

• Like 1

No problem

Funny thing about the packs + updates. I went step by step in case i did something wrong last time and went right back to the original glitchy state. No big deal, i just put it back to vanilla and carried on. This time i went carefully through the updates and only installed certain things. Been testing things out and all is fine with the aircraft except the A6 cockpits and i'm perfectly satisfied to leave them be as i rarely fly them.  The last minor things to straighten out are the flak tracers as it's just 37mm, none of the others, and the smoke column from SAM launches. 

I slowly add content to my mod folder, and rarely have any issues. I have like 105GB of stuff for my mod folder and so far it works pretty good.

I've been thinking it over and it looks like i'll go plain again and be very specific on the material from the updates. It's not like i'm in a real hurry anyway and it's not too much to sort most things out going by the numbers. Next attempt should have it spot on. 

SF2 is completely portable so you need to install it right only once. Then you ned no to reinstall. just delet ini files in mod folders and you get clean install. all is in mod folders

Edited by bazillius

On 6/23/2022 at 3:49 PM, bazillius said:

SF2 is completely portable so you need to install it right only once. Then you ned no to reinstall. just delet ini files in mod folders and you get clean install. all is in mod folders

It's actually not that big a deal. If things are irritatingly screwed up, i've found out that deleting the saved games folder everything reverts back to a clean install. Then it's a matter of being more aware of what you are adding and where. Something more tricky is like the infamous .97 mach limitation/error where something like a clean Thud at low level in full burner can't get supersonic.