CaptSopwith

A Sincere Note of Thanks

Hi Gents,

Hope you are all doing well and staying cool! I just wanted to write a short note to say thank you to this community. I know the history of the EAW group is long and has it's friction points - but I genuinely want to say how grateful I am to each of you for keeping this sim running in your own ways. I got EAW in the summer of 1999, at just 17 years old, as a get well present from my parents after I almost died in a car accident. That game kept me company that year as I played through the Battle of Britain, imagining myself a young Spitfire pilot who was lucky to walk away from a bad landing. Years later I started modding the game, thanks again largely to the group here. I remember digging through Cord's EAW site, downloading STAB, and spending HOURS downloading skins on a dial up modem, so excited to see what new livery I could slap on a Fw190 or my favorite American plane, the P-38. And then... well time and technology marched on and EAW sat pretty much dormant through much of my Windows XP, Vista, and 7 days. Until around 2015 I saw that the game was still alive and running, now on Windows 10. I've been insanely busy in RL - moving, starting jobs, getting married - and it's been tough to find time to work with the old sim. But over the last week, thanks in large part again to your help, I've gotten the sim running solidly again.

I have to say how impressed I am with the GoG patch that Mr. Jelly put together. I badly misjudged how much of improvement it would make, and after finally giving it a chance, I have to say that flying 1.29 in DirectX at fps I never dreamed of in 1999, let alone at these kinds of resolutions, is something to behold. I took your file structure and made my own home-brew Max188 inspired Classic EAW set to run with all of the benefits of 1.29 and man am I loving it. The sim seems more stable - though I do wonder if my mad ExtraSquads=5 didn't have something to do with the last CTD I suffered lol!

So while I know this board is pretty quiet, especially so in the summer, I wanted to say thank you - you've kept a genuinely beloved part of my younger days alive and it's a real gift to be able to revisit it now. Thank you guys!

European Air War 7_18_2022 9_34_56 AM.jpg

European Air War 7_18_2022 9_36_24 AM.jpg

European Air War 7_18_2022 9_37_56 AM.jpg

• Like 1

If your refering to me too, thanks.

If you need anything let me know.

On 7/18/2022 at 7:08 PM, MarkEAW said:

If your refering to me too, thanks.

If you need anything let me know.

I am absolutely including you Mark! Your site is incredibly helpful! I'm also interested in setting up a separate EAWPRO install. I've tried dropping in the necessary files ( -(EAWPRO  Core Download!) - EAWPRO1.0_Basic.zip and -(EAWPRO Update) - BASIC-update-2.zip ) into my GOG 1.2 install but I'm having some odd issues with planes exploding on launch in the campaigns. Wondering if you could provide any advice on how to set up EAW Pro on the GOG version of EAW. Thanks so much! Hope you're doing well and staying cool!

I don't know what could be causeing issues with the exploding planes, perhaps it wasn't designed for more than multiplay and single player missions.

I remember from reading the exploding planes was an issue at one point.

If your dumping the EAWPRO files into a GOG 1.2 version, it should be alright, as the eaw.exe is replaced. But you would have to configure another wrapper perhaps with the game as the GOG Wrapper seems to cause issues with the old DX in the game exe, or it won't work at all.

EDIT: Oh maybe you can add just the core EAWPRO without the update 2 and see if you still have problems. This way you narrow down the issue.

Beyound this, I couldn't be much help. :(

Edited by MarkEAW
skip adding part 2
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 4:04 PM, MarkEAW said:

I don't know what could be causeing issues with the exploding planes, perhaps it wasn't designed for more than multiplay and single player missions.

I remember from reading the exploding planes was an issue at one point.

If your dumping the EAWPRO files into a GOG 1.2 version, it should be alright, as the eaw.exe is replaced. But you would have to configure another wrapper perhaps with the game as the GOG Wrapper seems to cause issues with the old DX in the game exe, or it won't work at all.

EDIT: Oh maybe you can add just the core EAWPRO without the update 2 and see if you still have problems. This way you narrow down the issue.

Beyound this, I couldn't be much help. :(

No worries Mark! Your site actually had the answer - I just didn't look! :stars:

" Intended for online play and offline single missions only, campaign mode wasn't adapted. "

Really appreciate your site, mate. I've been going to it nonstop this week as I play around with the different EAW options available.

I don't think there are campaigns which will work all the way with any modified theater , with that I mean with changed front lines and target locations. I've tried them all and they all failed. There is however a set of stock campaign files which can be used to over write the altered campaign I created. I can't however guarantee that such will work with Gog's version as my version will have replaced the Gog executable and there's no telling what else is different in the Gog version, such information is not available.

Download available here:

https://rabartel.home.xs4all.nl/DownLoad/FX1.2_Targets_FM.ZIP

Just allow overwrites of the files it wants to replace and maybe it'll work, Good luck!

VonBeerhofen

Edited by VonBeerhofen

I have downloaded just about everything that is available for EAW and I too would give a big thankyou for the work that has been done. Much of my stuff is ancient, and I have no idea who might have done that work :(

With campaigns I am just testing a 160 set-up which has the default 1.2 target files and the default 1.2 plane-set. I did a check to make sure that it is the 1.2 target set and not the modified one with the allied carrier added to the target set.

DrAq:wink:

@VBH, just the eaw.exe in the gog version is replaced. I think I did a file compare before. So it shouldn't be an issue to dump EAWPRO into it. Of course it wouldn't be a gog install anymore after that as the exe is replaced by the FXEXE.

16 hours ago, DrAquidel said:

I have downloaded just about everything that is available for EAW and I too would give a big thankyou for the work that has been done. Much of my stuff is ancient, and I have no idea who might have done that work :(

With campaigns I am just testing a 160 set-up which has the default 1.2 target files and the default 1.2 plane-set. I did a check to make sure that it is the 1.2 target set and not the modified one with the allied carrier added to the target set.

DrAq:wink:

Smart move DrAq and long overdue me thinks. Feel free to use the above files if you haven't already, :)

Capt.Sopwith, to quote another famous modder, I haven't been able to replicate your problem, it's all working fine here as long as you don't try to fly the previously none flyable bombers in carreer mode as there are no entries for them in the campaign files, not in any campaign or any version and also not in EAWPRO's. It's the one thing which would take years to create, even for one single addon and that's been a known fact since 1998. I'm sorry to admit that I don't have that much time to spend on it, hence the advice to stick to flying quick or single missions.

Mark I send you a p.m.

VBH

Edited by VonBeerhofen

@CaptSopwith,

I try to include and squeeze in as much facts in the information on my web site as possible.

However there are places I guess based on facts, resulting in partial fullfilled info.

So if you spot any errors on my web site, I'd appreciate any feedback you could provide. Such as  feedback on anything you think needs to be included.
If you have time to respond, that would be appreciated. :)

I just checked the unaltered 1.28E version and it too has a changed data set. Furthermore it shows that all targets seem to be resequenced but the campaign files remained unchanged. I checked it with a file comparison program and it shows over 1000 differences in GRIDDATA alone. Some 200+ targets were no longer in their original location or modified as well and the airfield.dat was larger then the stock file, which indicates it's been also changed. When the target set is resequenced it also requires all campaign files to be edited to make sure the called targets sit on the proper side of the frontline and has the target available which the line in the camp**.dat wants to attack. If it is for instance a bombing mission and an attack on airfield, the resquenced target value used may no longer have an airfield when it's moved to a new line in the target editor or the current vale may sit on the wrong side of the front line. The campaign files don't have any error checking to my knowledge. This is true for every campaign ever created, i.e. anything derived from these files will have exactly the same problem as all campaigns ever created, as they all used resequencing with the one and only target editing tool available. File dates are NOT an indication of altered files, any opened files which are resaved will get a new modification date, only a file comparison will show the differences. I'm sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.

VBH

Edited by VonBeerhofen

5 hours ago, VonBeerhofen said:

I just checked the unaltered 1.28E version and it too has a changed data set. Furthermore it shows that all targets seem to be resequenced but the campaign files remained unchanged. I checked it with a file comparison program and it shows over 1000 differences in GRIDDATA alone. Some 200+ targets were no longer in their original location or modified as well and the airfield.dat was larger then the stock file, which indicates it's been also changed. When the target set is resequenced it also requires all campaign files to be edited to make sure the called targets sit on the proper side of the frontline and has the target available which the line in the camp**.dat wants to attack. If it is for instance a bombing mission and an attack on airfield, the resquenced target value used may no longer have an airfield when it's moved to a new line in the target editor or the current vale may sit on the wrong side of the front line. The campaign files don't have any error checking to my knowledge. This is true for every campaign ever created, i.e. anything derived from these files will have exactly the same problem as all campaigns ever created, as they all used resequencing with the one and only target editing tool available. File dates are NOT an indication of altered files, any opened files which are resaved will get a new modification date, only a file comparison will show the differences. I'm sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.

VBH

Any chance that this could cause CTD's during a campaign VBH? Say when you're in the middle of intercepting bombers on a target run? I've been having random CTD's across the stock campaigns in EAW, but I'm playing with the GoG version of 1.2 or I'm playing with 1.28.

Edited by CaptSopwith

Anything can happen, I can fill a book with weird things I've seen. Try changing screen resolution or lower some detail settings, maybe it helps, :)

VBH

I think EXTRASQUADS setting in the eaw.ini should be defaulted to the lowest value. I know that they can cause issues with campaigns. At least thats what history shows at one issue.

• Thanks 1

Good call Mark,

Also check if the problem relates to just a particular plane or if there are more which suffer the same problem. I know that many older 3D models aren't entirely R/S compliant as back then there was little knowledge on how to build them properly. The used textures are also about 10 times heavier then stock planes but that only applies to the 1.28E version. Try to narrow the problem down, if the model is flawed it should also cause problems in single mission mode. Wish I could do more to help but 1.28E isn't my forte. From the files it seems that campaign mode is flawed and at some point can cause problems. From experience I know that it can sometimes be fine for weeks on end too, it just depends on which missions are compromised and whether that mission is selected. As far as I recall the source code specifically stated not to add more airfields but there is at least one extra which according to the creators is a new carrier. I'll see what happens with 1.28E on my rigs when I try a few missions myself, I'll just let it run on autopilot for a few days and report back after.

VBH

Edited by VonBeerhofen

I wonder if you installed the addon the proper way, perhaps you were given the wrong instructions by a certain person as that has happened before, some people would do anything to sabotage my work or interfere. All which is needed is to extract each .ZIP on top of a FULL install of the working 1.28 or 1.2 version, being a NoCD/NoOS version you allow it to overwrite what it wants. The optional update is next and the above  FX1.2_Targets_FM.ZIP goes in last.

I just like to understand one thing before trying to further figure out what could be the cause of these explosions. Are these happening in both GoG versions you mention with and without EAWPRO? Exploding planes have been reported throughout the game's history but to my knowledge on line only. I've flown a few Me109E missions but haven't encountered anomalies so far.

When both Gog versions have the original files in them then I don't think it should have resulted in exploding planes and definitely shouldn't happen with either version with or without EAWPRO on top, unless there are more differences with their original counter versions. Stock campaign files in altered data sets may absolutely cause CTD's and other problems but I can't say if 1.28E's changes are the cause. Although the data set is extensively modified it was not resequenced.. As Mark indicated there is no reason to assume that the Gog versions are that different and I can't check that, but EAWPRO was tested to run in both v1.2 and v1.28.

Ofcourse my game isn't meant to be used in campaign mode due to the same unedited campaign files and you already found that out yourself but the above v1.2 campaign files are meant to cure that problem and should allow full campaign functionality. I'm at a loss for further ideas but hope you will find what you're searching for.

VonBeerhofen

Edited by VonBeerhofen

On 7/28/2022 at 5:34 PM, DrAquidel said:

With campaigns I am just testing a 160 set-up which has the default 1.2 target files and the default 1.2 plane-set. 

Reporting back:

So far so good with a 1943 RAF career

No in-game CTDs or exploding planes but a CTD when loading the next mission. Running it again allowed me to continue the career.

I do not know if this CTD (or ones that others have encountered) is related to the videos which appear in careers from time to time.

AFAIK later versions of windows do not handle the "smacker" software.

160ETPCar.jpg

22 hours ago, VonBeerhofen said:

I wonder if you installed the addon the proper way, perhaps you were given the wrong instructions by a certain person as that has happened before, some people would do anything to sabotage my work or interfere. All which is needed is to extract each .ZIP on top of a FULL install of the working 1.28 or 1.2 version, being a NoCD/NoOS version you allow it to overwrite what it wants. The optional update is next and the above  FX1.2_Targets_FM.ZIP goes in last.

I just like to understand one thing before trying to further figure out what could be the cause of these explosions. Are these happening in both GoG versions you mention with and without EAWPRO? Exploding planes have been reported throughout the game's history but to my knowledge on line only. I've flown a few Me109E missions but haven't encountered anomalies so far.

When both Gog versions have the original files in them then I don't think it should have resulted in exploding planes and definitely shouldn't happen with either version with or without EAWPRO on top, unless there are more differences with their original counter versions. Stock campaign files in altered data sets may absolutely cause CTD's and other problems but I can't say if 1.28E's changes are the cause. Although the data set is extensively modified it was not resequenced.. As Mark indicated there is no reason to assume that the Gog versions are that different and I can't check that, but EAWPRO was tested to run in both v1.2 and v1.28.

Ofcourse my game isn't meant to be used in campaign mode due to the same unedited campaign files and you already found that out yourself but the above v1.2 campaign files are meant to cure that problem and should allow full campaign functionality. I'm at a loss for further ideas but hope you will find what you're searching for.

VonBeerhofen

Hey VBH,

Hope you are doing well! So the issues I'm running into involve CTD's when running the stock campaigns in the GoG version of EAW. The exploding planes issue was my fault - attempting to run the stock campaigns with just EAWPRO and I had loaded a previous campaign from a different version, so that was my bad. Otherwise, no exploding craft. Just random CTD's - especially in the German campaigns with a large formation of bombers to intercept. Not sure if that helps but I wanted to give you as many details as I could.

Cheers!

16 hours ago, DrAquidel said:

AFAIK later versions of windows do not handle the "smacker" software.

The Gog/Steam type plays the smacker movies in modern Windows. I think its more of a DX and directdraw issue, since thats the improvements they provided with the game. Which in turn allows the intro MPS Glode and the in game films to play properly. Even the poorly programmed Object Viewer which doesn't crash the game.

Running the game in 4K is unprecedented and so is running ExtraSquads=5, these may open a whole new can of worms for EAW. Perhaps 5 is normal for v1.28 but my game already crashed with a setting of 3, but that's on a legacy computer. To my knowledge the max number of planes can not exceed 255, at least not in v1.2. but I reported a severe drop in FPS on my rig a decade ago with heavy bombers in v1.28 which caused quite a stir with the developers.  My highest resolution ever was 1920 x 1080 and I will test the bombers again now I have that version reinstalled.

I've not previously heard anyone about your problem in my 25 years of flying this game. You report the issue with 2 Gog versions in career mode only, which always involve heavy bombers, and then another with EAWPRO on top. The only common theme here is Gog, so I suggest you talk to them. I also can't help with v1.28 which is the code group's department, but as noted there could possibly be an issue with those carreer files but that's also not for me to further investigate. I haven't got a clue and I'm glad it's not me having to solve that issue, hope you can figure it out! My advice is not to try add ons before you have it working properly

Files are NOT transferable across the various versions without expert knowledge, always start with everything in a minimal setting and then start increasing the weight of an add on until you run into problems.! Any none stock version has been extensively altered and  for a large large part no longer bears any similarity with v1.2 or it's files.

VonBeerhofen

Edited by VonBeerhofen

Apparently there is a special value of 17 that can be used for extra squads in 160, so I tried it.

This is a screenshot from an intercept in a 190A running UAW160 in Windows 7

There were 20 FWs, 48 109Gs, 48 B17s and 64 P38s

Plenty of planes, contrails and tracer, but a frame-rate of 59 FPS

59FPS.png

Edited by DrAquidel

Yeah, same here in WinME 256MB on a gForce 2 TNT 200/400 32MB, ExtraSquads=1, and the B17's haven't even arrived yet, :) Well, I don't know if it's that high but EAWPRO runs very, very smooth. Have fun with your game and thx for your help and attention!

Extra0.jpg

Extra1.jpg

VonBeerhofen

Edited by VonBeerhofen

Hi VBH,

I wanted to let you know that it looks like the exploding plane issue was an error on my part. I copied over several careers from a different version of EAW in order to continue them and that started the problem. Creating a fresh career sorted it out! CTD's seem far less common now that I've dropped ExtraSquads down to 2, I had been running at 3 or higher. Hope this helps sort out some of the mystery (really, it was just me!).

Cheers guys!