Sign in to follow this  
MarkEAW

EAW with GOG/Steam DirectX 1-7 Wrapper (FPS Increase))

Well I configured GOGs directX special wrapper that only can be used with the GOG or Steam purchased downloads.

It still holds true for Windows 10 (and probably 8) that the Frames per sec for DirectX flight screens is going to be faster in a Windowed Mode setting on the wrappers config screen.

I got 17-26 FPS and they where pretty steady.  I do "think" that the windows mode works best. I didn't upscale the display at all, just left it at 1024x768 (maybe you want to use 800x600 for EAWv1.2GOG) Upto you.

Also you don't want to remove those DX wrapper files by gog, you loose the dll and the game will load, but it will be a black screen---forever, ugh.
You have to use Task Manager to sign out so the game will close automaticaly when you return as the same user.

Oh, not sure if the GOG Wrapper Enhanments will work or not, I upped them all the way. Maybe you have to config the video cards control panel with the same enhancement settings to get your card to recognize the gog wrappers settings.

These are my findings, since MS won't fix there slow directdraw in win8/10 (that was fine in Win7) I guess this special gog EAW and its wrapper are where we are at for DirectX flight screens. :)

EDIT:

Heres the wrapper section of my site. I quickly wrote that section for the GOG Wrapper, I'll add to it as I find something to write about.

https://eaw.neocities.org/troubleshoot.html#wrap

Edited by MarkEAW
link of wrapper programs configuration

I just relized something is a mist on Win10.

When I first got GOGs 128 I got double the FPS at 64FPS I belive, thats at least what I noted on my web site at that time, go figure.....

Now running it I only get 17-26FPS. This is Similer to other non gog eaw.exe's, just a bit higher for gog version.

Weird, either something I did slowed down the new gog  version of the game or Microsoft changed something in the past year.....again....IDK.??

Edited by MarkEAW

One thing I mention in my Video and Troubleshoot Help docs is that in the GOG/Steam types of this game (EAWv1.2 Only), they still have their 2D Cockpits when using 640x480 in game res. Then in the Wrapper you can double the res setting and keep the more detailed cockpits and have larger text on the screen. Perhaps even a faster game, higher FPS.

See those two Help Documents if you need more info, first read the Video Help Doc then the Troubleshoot one. :)

EDIT:

Note that UAW or 1.28 and up of the  un officail src mods have removed the 2D cockpits from there game data...so this won't work on those versions, this applies to the deprecated GOG 1.28 version too.

Edited by MarkEAW

On 8/1/2022 at 8:15 PM, MarkEAW said:

I just relized something is a mist on Win10.

When I first got GOGs 128 I got double the FPS at 64FPS I belive, thats at least what I noted on my web site at that time, go figure.....

Now running it I only get 17-26FPS. This is Similer to other non gog eaw.exe's, just a bit higher for gog version.

Weird, either something I did slowed down the new gog  version of the game or Microsoft changed something in the past year.....again....IDK.??

I'm still having issues, all my EAW FPS dropped and that leaves GoGS super patched eaw.exe that puts me at 23-27 Frames. I use to get 64 FPS with GoG-EAW.

I'm totally baffled as what changed. I tried reinstalling video drivers etc but no luck.

and my non gog eaw games all fall to 15 to 20 fps. When I use to get nearly 30fps.

All this is with directx mode.

I'm assuming some malware changed something, cause I didn't touch anything (tweaks or settings) between the months I played EAW.
I'm also assuming its a video card registry setting thats bad. IDK though.

Anyone have any idea?

It seems to be a Windows system issue rather than a Video card issue. 

It just weird that I did have 64 FPS before when EAW-GOG came out, now its less than half.

This is recent and not a past issue windows had. Cause the other installs of EAW 1.2 and 1.60 etc have 15 to 20 FPS now.

IDK. I researched hard and can't find anything that would limit the FPS on EAW that low.

EDIT:
64 FPS using the GoG DX Wrapper that comes from my machine not having Virtualization enabled in the BIOS. It runs much better now.
So mystery solved

Edited by MarkEAW
fps increase without Virtual machine.