Sign in to follow this  
streakeagle

F-100D Super Sabre coming to DCS World

DCS World is another step closer to matching the SFP1/WoX/SF2 plane set. If all of the currently announced aircraft are actually finished and released, many of the planes needed for a decent Vietnam environment will be available to fly. The recently announced Sinai terrain will make it possible to portray more historical Arab-Israeli air combat. It has taken a long time and there is still a long way to go, but there has been steady progress in the right direction.

Something I've seen people in DCS do a lot, in my opinion, and it has become more apparent with the Mirage F1, is pulling too much AoA / too many Gs, almost stalling their aircraft. Many of the aircraft they have had could tolerate that, but if they lean towards the mid Cold War era, like in our SF2 niche years, they'll end up changing the meta and manage their energy much more carefully. 

Specially with the Hun, chances are it will become Farmer fodder. I hope the Phantom, being as iconic, brings more attention to the way they had to fly them in Vietnam for example. 

I hope to get into DCS in a couple of months though, and be gangbanged by these people. The effort and passion that community seems to put into the hobby is beyond my comprehension.  They don't count the rivets, they check if they have the right twist and gauge.

DCS has come so far since the A-10C and Ka-50. While development continues at an ever slow, but steady pace, something that may never be fixed is the cost-effectiveness of releasing variants of any one particular aircraft. Typically, the final, best variant is modeled, and you miss out on all the developments from initial service to the final variant. Case in point, MiG-21. The MiG-21F-13 is very different from the MiG-21 PF/PFMA series, then comes the big jump to the S/SM series, and finally, the bis. But all you get for DCS is the bis. There are some exceptions, but the resources it takes to make even a minor variant is more than people are willing to pay. So developers are better off making unique aircraft rather recycling variants of an already released aircraft.

ED is biased towards modern and WW2, so it takes 3rd party developers to provide 1950s-1980s aircraft and variants. DCS development is difficult: lots of time and effort and ED's contract requirements for licensing/support. At least some are stepping up to the plate to try even though some of have failed. Hopefully, the F-100D won't be in development forever and will be accurately modeled with few bugs. There is no such thing as a DCS module with no bugs.