My dear friend @Astore has been working on new Italian skins for the old F-35s by Klavs81, updated long ago by FastCargo for Strike Fighters 2. I offered him my help in finishing decals for those skins, but soon this side-project grew bigger and I've done lots of tweaks, improvements and fixes to the whole F-35 family. Here below a quick showcase of what has been done so far.

Original cockpit by Klavs81; misplaced nodes for counters, MFD much affected by ambient lighting, missing HSI

F-35_oldcockpit.thumb.PNG.27aeb9635022d24b6eee08632693151b.PNG

Reworked cockpit by Astore and yours truly; new textures, working HSI, moved various nodes, full-day white lighting for the sake of proper look to the MFDs

F-35_newcockpit.thumb.PNG.999b142928dfe9dabc9606b798ba2dae.PNG

Corrected hitboxes and collision points on all F-35 variants (created F-35I Adir variant for Israel)

F-35_hitboxes.thumb.png.bb60a430539baa4b2336345e9f202da4.png

Reworked slimer colors (F-35B with Italian GRUPAER skin by Astore)

F-35_slimers.thumb.PNG.b9f03e02cd6bd67504a8ca52bb79802e.PNG

Reworked afterburner effect

f-35_afterburner.thumb.PNG.0a735d1720d6a5cf3b6988512ec30dc3.PNG

Italian F-35A with 6° Stormo skin by Astore; integrated fake-pilot canopy mod as released by Coupi

F-35_italian.thumb.PNG.c96af2477157a2e4d52bad1b620becfe.PNG

This is just a sneak peak. The cockpit 3d model is terribly dated, with just four functional MFDs (Radar, RWR, Map and HSI). Most of it is a plain texture, but thanks to Astore's work it is very nice now. I've also reworked other data bits, userlists, added more updated weapons (my thanks to @ravenclaw_007 for working on those) and so on. 

Is anyone interested in this? What I've shown is WIP so far. I need help in finishing it with decent quality. Mainly we need a rework of the avionics, revised flight models and eventually some help on additional skins and decals. Apart from few new skins, I've included and slightly reworked all skins made by @kblomkvist and @simonmiller416 for the F-35A, F-35B and F-35C. Full credits to them for those.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Looking good and once available I'll replace the F-35s I have now with them.

Thank you for your work i am very interested in downloading and playing this new reworked aircraft. So if you finish and share it i will be wery greatful to you and @Astore  . I want to ask you to check the fuel consumption of these planes family. I don't think the consume is correct.

2 hours ago, bazillius said:

I want to ask you to check the fuel consumption of these planes family. I don't think the consume is correct.

Absolutely, something is wrong with it. That's why I'd need someone expert with editing FMs, though for fuel matters I can look at it myself. Unfortunately baffmeister is no longer active here, he's the FM expert and had made the wonderful flight model for the F-22A I released.

44 minutes ago, simonmiller416 said:

That HSI is perfect! hoping there is an brand new 3d model of cockpit

Thanks! Astore made that texture, then I had to fix its proportions. A new 3d model of the cockpit is very unlikely as there are very few 3d modellers around and I'd rather have them work on new additions. I really liked your F-35 skins, especially the F-35B and F-35C since nobody made better ones for those based on kblomkvist work. Do you have a template of those skins by chance? It'd be helpful for the project.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Menrva said:

Absolutely, something is wrong with it. That's why I'd need someone expert with editing FMs, though for fuel matters I can look at it myself. Unfortunately baffmeister is no longer active here, he's the FM expert and had made the wonderful flight model for the F-22A I released.

Thanks! Astore made that texture, then I had to fix its proportions. A new 3d model of the cockpit is very unlikely as there are very few 3d modellers around and I'd rather have them work on new additions. I really liked your F-35 skins, especially the F-35B and F-35C since nobody made better ones for those based on kblomkvist work. Do you have a template of those skins by chance? It'd be helpful for the project.

I don't remember if i save those psds in my disk wait a moment lol.

And I'm afraid even if they're still there, they're incomplete...

1 minute ago, simonmiller416 said:

And I'm afraid even if they're still there, they're incomplete...

No worries, even if incomplete it's always better than nothing. Feel free to send me a private message if you find them, as not to clutter this thread.

Edited by Menrva

2 minutes ago, Menrva said:

No worries, even if incomplete it's always better than nothing. Feel free to send me a private message if you find them, as not to clutter this thread.

okay and keep on your great works!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something that happens to me with the F-35 that does not convince me is the canopy, when this model came out there were surely not many photos of that detail and the glass ended up with the very angled front frame, it reminds me a bit of the F-117 . In my pending ideas was to redo the 3d with a smoother arc and add it as a false seat, but I would have to assume that I would lose the canopy opening animation.

image.thumb.png.827c2b87b922222013b2c029421fab80.pngimage.thumb.png.88bcf50e66ce564f5458171cba996bb0.png

Another detail that I discovered is that the F-35C (naval) has 2 wheels on the front landing gear and not one as the model turned out, but hey, this is being picky

Congrats on the work it looks much nice, in my short time I will see how the idea of the cabin canopy is turned around and I will tell you how it goes with it

Edited by PeacePuma
  • Like 1

On 2022/11/1 at 4:26 PM, Menrva said:

Hey sorry for my late reply,and more sorry about I just check my old disk, none of those PSDs left