Sign in to follow this  
alexis99

How do JDAMS work in reality?

The JDAM is laser guided, so presumably the launch aircraft has to fire a laser at the target. And presumably it has to have an EOTV in the cockpit to enable the pilot to identify the target.

The real F-22 has neither. So does it require a separate aircraft to fire the targeting laser, or has the upgrade programme installed the correct kit to enable the pilot to laser target himself?

In the SF2 version of the F-22A, you just cycle the targets with the appropriate key command and stop when you find the target you want. Then, when within range parameters, you launch the weapon. Which is the real-life equivalent of carrying a GPS weapon, but not an LGB.

You can install a laser ranging device and EOTV in the F-22 cockpit and it will enable TV guided Paveways to give you the target picture, but since JDAMs are not TV guided, you don't get the picture. To fix that, you would have to change the JDAM guidance to TV.

Hence my question: how do JDAMS work in reality?

Actually, the GBU-54 is a dual-mode (Laser/GPS) JDAM

• Like 3

Ah I see. I was getting confused because the GBU-38 and the GBU-15, for instance, are both classed as EOGB in the Weapons directory, which I imagined meant Electro Optical Glide Bomb. It's only when you inspect individual weapons that you find GBU-38 is GPS guided and GBU-15 is TV guided. 

So that's why the F-22 in the game only supports the JDAM weapon and doesn't need laser targeting or EOTV

Thank you

• Like 3