Sign in to follow this  
Sokol

French (and other) Airpower in Indochina - any news?

Hi

in 2020 Wrench & Co. have started a very intersting project on the French airwar in Indochina of the early 1950is and shown some teasing and promising screenshots in their screenshot thread.

is this project still alive ?

if so - two weeks ?

cheers

sokol

I have all the aircraft done (excepting using the P-39 as the not-available P-63, and Ju-52 Tucan version, and the PB4Y-2 Privateer -- waiting for Torno & Co. on that one). Reworking the map is a freeking nightmare!! I walked away from it due to major personal issues. I hope to return to the map next year. But it will be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNGGGGGGGGG project! (and lots of new, more accurate tiles, too!)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@Wrench You may recall I was working on the map and made tons of changes. I had both the Indochina and Vietnam versions with extremely accurate airport and city locations and names. Some posts about the researches I had done here: https://combatace.com/forums/topic/94432-myth-of-north-vietnam-abs/

Stock Thirdwire VietnamSEA

VIETNAMSEA_PlanningMap2_000_orig.thumb.jpg.02a97db7904b4647bd9cd85ddb7e1278.jpg

Reworked VietnamSEA

VIETNAMSEA_PlanningMap2_000.thumb.jpg.c470b8eef8bf28bbbed783a09d49acbf.jpg

New VietnamSEA_49

VietnamSEA_49_PlanningMap2_000.thumb.jpg.683638da03b2a6acfe03417561b29f4e.jpg

I didn't have time to finish them but if there's enough interest I will, hopefully after the new PC I built works alright.

In theory I was part of another Vietnam project but I am kept in the blind about it. So I'd rather start my own Vietnam total conversion project but I don't know if I'd get the same amount of support I got when I started the ODS remake almost two years ago. Sundowner also is working on an impressive Vietnam terrain remake but that should be missing some improvements I had made. The two reworks joined together would offer the best possible terrain, both visually and topographically.

Edited by Menrva
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wrench & Menrva,

these are good news.

is there a way for all those engaged in vietnam-stuff here at Combatace to combine their work ? it is a real pity that we have the big split between the DAT-people (their boss is, well, weird), the YAP-folks and Combatace, which is a real community and has always been the place of hope for me.

do you consider a two-stage release procedure:

- stage 1 - the aircraft - they would make a nice christmas present for the community

- stage 2 - the terrain(s) ?

of course it is your work and you decide ;-)

please keep up the good work.

cheers

sokol

well, the WW2 aircraft would be pretty useless without a terrain with "proper" targeting (meaning: dropping Vietminh and etc camps and such into the jungles.  I'd be happy to release the aircraft if there's enough interest (includes some what-if VC birds too)

Combining terrains, in my opinion, is a great idea. The entire map has to be reworked (in Menrva has a new height field), all the rail yards added and such like, plus the ports and corrected/added rivers (thing Mekong delta here)

• Like 1

... and downgrade the airbases (hangars and other facilities) to an older pattern.

like this at Tourane?

remember, there's still a humongous amount to work to be done

toruane1.jpg

• Like 2