Sign in to follow this  
sixstrings

Newbe Question New to SF2 series.

Hello, i'm a newcomer to the SF2 series,and been starting to read the whole SF2 online manual. A lot to absorb for someone that's played mainly WW I and WW II combat flight simulators. Where can i find a good quick reference on the Key Commands for SF2. Hard for me to memorize any other way. Have the DLC package and don't know how install it yet. I really am green  fellas. Thanks for any help. Is there any thing wrong by the way i'm trying to get my mind around it, or a easier way ? Do suffer from brain damage ,so everything new is a real challenge, but need it for therapy purposes too. Regards, Scott

• Like 1

theres a list (not a map) at the end of that manual.

you can also go in the settings and adjust to whats more convienent to you.

• Like 2

Helo. I Recommend to watch video tutorials by

AMLnZu8eGfEMQoZSMIqhJmKPOrHlyW8Fei1B-RU6

Watch videos and click next in his playlist .There are videos about installing , modding and flying in this game. And in somecaircrafts you can find PDF file with recomendation how to fly. F-14 and FA-18 aircraft packds have their pdfs

• Like 1

The Knowledge Base has a lot of information that you might find useful.

https://combatace.com/forums/forum/268-thirdwire-strike-fighters-2-series-knowledge-base/

I would start with the 'What is a "MOD folder"?' topic.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by DLC package? Most of the DLCs should have some packaged as standalone EXE files the you install the same way you install the SF2 programs. Double click the EXE files and follow the prompts.

What version(s) of SF2 did you purchase?

• Like 2

I do have same problems earlier when playing SF from WOV until SF2.. i have brain limits for memorizing lots stuff.. 
I open Option, Setting, Key command, and grab pen and paper.. re-write the basic command/essential for take off, flying and landing.. get used to it by flying recon first.. 
then if you mastering your plane(s), try do some ground pounding.. and so on until you can lock-and-shot any badguys BVR-ly.. There's a lot videos on YouTube too. 

OR.. Print this chart.. and stick it near your Monitor.. Pause a while if you have to.  (Credits to Alejulian) Right click images below, view in new tab, save or print it. Hope this may help.
229d504d103874a98867fb779a805a24.jpg

• Like 2

THAT is a fantastic idea! Reminds me of the Dark DOS Days, when games came with either printable or already printed keyboard controls sheets (thinking Falcon 3 here).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, anunk47 said:

i have brain limits for memorizing lots stuff.. 
I open Option, Setting, Key command, and grab pen and paper..

Hahaha, everyone has gone this way :biggrin:.

as an option, remap the buttons as in your favorite simulator. I always do that. I have all my simulators with buttons remapped the same way as possible

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bazillius said:

Hahaha, everyone has gone this way :biggrin:.

as an option, remap the buttons as in your favorite simulator. I always do that. I have all my simulators with buttons remapped the same way as possible

So True.. Once we get used to it, any game will follow suit.. seem like most Flight sim has similar pattern in key commands

2 hours ago, Wrench said:

THAT is a fantastic idea! Reminds me of the Dark DOS Days, when games came with either printable or already printed keyboard controls sheets (thinking Falcon 3 here).

DID's EF2000 had a printout in the back of the manual that showed all of the keys. Eventually I learned most of them, but usually the arrow keys (I didn't have a joystick) and fire button, and how to select modes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EricJ said:

DID's EF2000 had a printout in the back of the manual that showed all of the keys.

Aaaahhhh.... Backed in time.. I still play using only keyboard. There is the Best Campaign ever.  But there is no way to remap buttons. And i remember DID's F-22 woooaaahh!!!!!

Clipboard01ef200.jpg

and this game was able to play itself, without your participation. Same as SF2 after pressing the F12 button. Button combinations just could not fit in ones head

Edited by bazillius
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, bazillius said:

Aaaahhhh.... Backed in time.. I still play using only keyboard. There is the Best Campaign ever.  But there is no way to remap buttons. And i remember DID's F-22 woooaaahh!!!!!

and this game was able to play itself, without your participation. Same as SF2 after pressing the F12 button. Button combinations just could not fit in ones head

I agree the campaign was good, as a few times I lost, and a few times I won. I would fly low level strikes (Keyboard only doesn't work with air-to-air combat) all the time, which got me into ground pounding with other sims. Those were the days. If they would only remake it and put it out again, I'd fly it again.

• Like 2

Thanks guys for the info. Very helpful. And to think i mastered Falcon 4.0 back in the day. Getting some flying time in tomorrow. A nice break from WW I and WW II combat sims. i use to work on F-14's in the US Navy. Brings back memories. Can't wait to play SF2 NA and the yankee air pirate addon. Love that Vietnam action also. Thanks again. Regards,Scott

• Like 4

You can print these out. It helped me when I started. One of my favorite things was having enough trust with jets to get a decent climb rate. I was always stalling in the vertical in WWI and WWII games.

sf2kb1b.thumb.jpg.c415b699cad0c1de2a319e1d6fa1ac8e.jpgsf2kb2c.thumb.jpg.41ba3c21defb63cc3ae84af54adb6228.jpg

Edited by KJakker
  • Like 3