Sign in to follow this  
amariani

F6F Hellcat in USMC service

Other than the night-fighter version, did the USMC fly the Hellcat in WW2?

No AFAIK, they were big fans of the Corsair.

• Like 1

they were big fans of the Corsair, cause the Navy couldn't figure out how to get back on the boat safely. Untile the RN FAA figured it out. One of the few time the Marines got the "good stuff" before the Navy.

My research has found only VMF-511 in dayfighters, and only for a short time before going to Corsairs., Shoot, even John Wayne got it wrong (albeit I'm sure they were supposed to be Wildcats, but there weren't any around for the film)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Wrench said:

they were big fans of the Corsair, cause the Navy couldn't figure out how to get back on the boat safely. Untile the RN FAA figured it out. One of the few time the Marines got the "good stuff" before the Navy.

My research has found only VMF-511 in dayfighters, and only for a short time before going to Corsairs., Shoot, even John Wayne got it wrong (albeit I'm sure they were supposed to be Wildcats, but there weren't any around for the film)

Yes, IIRC the early Corsairs were bumpy once they hit the deck.

The USNavy use it on Solomons campaign ashore. The VF-1 was one of that units.