Fates

Your First Sim

I feel I've been around since the down of Personal Computers.  It was with luck that our High School started a Computers Class my Sophomore year and I soaked it all up.  Started on old CP/M machines learning CP/M, Assembly Language and other programs my first year.   I remember 8" Floppy Drives.  We were so bored by our Senior Year that when the instructor said he didn't have anything more for us to learn (Software wise), we started repairing all the failed PC's, Printers, and other hardware from around the whole school district.  We wrote the Attendance Program the schools was using and had our own BBS.

Yes, sorta dating myself.

But for graduation I built my own computer.  Took it off to College in 1987, and remember hooking it up to a 46" Sony TV playing Jet 2.0.  Loved it.

• Like 3

Cool. F-16 is like real (if you have proper imagination).

My fiirst sim i played a campaign from beginning to the end was DID (Digital Image Design) EF2000

I play it from 1998 till present day. Best game ever.

5-1.jpg

• Like 3

The original Gunship and Ace of Aces both for the Commodore 64 probably would be my first simulator games. 

• Like 4

oh, gosh... let me think ....lots wore DOS based, and needed boot discs (remember THOSE??). Aces over the Pacific, Aces over Europe, Megafortress, A-10 (don't remember full name), Red Baron (iirc). Some sub game (688??)

been a long interestering road

• Like 4

Fifty years ago we would commandeer the Academy's IBM mainframe and spend time attempting "to go where no man (or Cadet) had gone before" while blasting Klingons and Romulans in the process.  The only available video was a small PDP display screen which showed something like this:

StarTrek1972.JPG.e4c5d9d2563aee5dbc2ffeca9173ca61.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silberpfeil said:

Fifty years ago we would commandeer the Academy's IBM mainframe and spend time attempting "to go where no man (or Cadet) had gone before" while blasting Klingons and Romulans in the process.  The only available video was a small PDP display screen which showed something like this:

StarTrek1972.JPG.e4c5d9d2563aee5dbc2ffeca9173ca61.JPG

We had the stolen reverse engineered version in East Germany.

• Like 1

My first game was called "Spitfire 40" back in 1986. I played that on my friends Commodore 128. 

24980a2e-abed-11ed-a484-02420a000130.jpg

Edited by Alexander51
  • Like 2

This one and his expansion bought on a budget box I still have. (now stored inside the big box of the deluxe version shown below, also wit its expansion). One of the best sims ever, was really really fun to play.

VS1ne5i.png

• Like 4

Falcon 3.0 1991

63ff83ba5e781_maxresdefault(1).jpg.750842b8ceec915005fbf7c50b82d594.jpgmaxresdefault.thumb.jpg.77f5c005d79cc582d2d22b2404e58e4f.jpg

• Like 3

Ho-ho, guys, we r so old! :biggrin: Nobody writes kinda i played iL-2! Sturmovik. That was my first game! ha-ha!

interesting theme. i watch what i missed that years. I am impressed by Ace of Aces. So complicated game for that years. wow.

I can say that i played NovaLogic Comanche Gold if to say about hellicopters. But that was at times when i had no PC at home. Not bad arcade with interesting voxel graph. i reccomend to watch it on youtube. How was it in voxels.

24 minutes ago, GKABS said:

Falcon 3.0 1991

Back then, Falcon 3 was on the home computer briefly. But it was too difficult for me at the time.

Instead I played F-15 Strike Eagle II by Microprose, Novalogic's Comanche, also Secret Weapons of the luftwaffe SWOTL a bit.

Soon after: EA's US Navy Fighters + Advanced Tactical Fighters took over.

• Like 2

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004, followed by Wings Over Europe.

I apologize for making any of you feel old. Truth be told it definitely seems like I missed the golden age of flight sim options.

Edited by Viggen
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Viggen said:

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004, followed by Wings Over Europe.

Young blood detected on radar! :biggrin:

• Haha 2

Flanker 2.0, IL2 Sturmovik and... SFP1 :gamer:

At school around 1985 I tested one (monochrome) of the first version of Flight Simulator. This needed a lot of imagination... :lol:

Edited by Coupi
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I totally forgot about the Jane's sims -- USNavy Fighters, Fighter's Anthology -- man, I built dozens and dozens of missions for them!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wrench said:

I totally forgot about the Jane's sims -- USNavy Fighters, Fighter's Anthology -- man, I built dozens and dozens of missions for them!!

Yes me too but I am one of the old members lol started 1991 with flight simulator, I remember going to the PC shop and paid a lot of money for 4 MB RAM and16-bit VGA graphics card to get the game running good and I was so amazed that my dream become a reality and I can fly. lol

• Like 3

Strike Eagle on the C64 was the first sim I really got into. I still play SEII under dosbox.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, GKABS said:

Yes me too but I am one of the old members lol started 1991 with flight simulator, I remember going to the PC shop and paid a lot of money for 4 MB RAM and16-bit VGA graphics card to get the game running good and I was so amazed that my dream become a reality and I can fly. lol

yeah I was really into Janes Fighters Anthology back in the 90s. I was going to ask you if you happened to be a contributor to that game known as Gulf Knight or something similar. the GK in your name had me thinking. 

Edited by whiteknight06604

6 minutes ago, whiteknight06604 said:

yeah I was really into Janes Fighters Anthology back in the 90s. I was going to ask you if you happened to be a contributor to that game known as Gulf Knight or something similar. the GK in your name had me thinking. 

Yes it was me lol 😆

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GKABS said:

Yes it was me lol 😆

Well then I'm doubly glad that you are now a member of the combat ace community. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Joint Strike Fighter was mine I think, although I also played F-22: Air Dominance Fighter around the same time, shortly followed by Eurofighter Typhoon and SFP1.

• Like 1

I remember Gulf Knight!!! Holy mackeral!!! what a small world!!! Thanks GKabs!! :ok:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1