Fates

Your First Sim

Not my first game, but it was the first game I ever saw on PC. In the late 70s, my friend down the street's dad was a professor at the university and had a TRS80 at his house. Phone cradle modem, reel to reel and cassette tape. Paul (friend) was so excited to show off Star Trek to us! Not exactly the most blood-boiling game, and certainly not to an 8-year-old. 

My first game was  Microsoft Flight Simulator in 1984 on an Apple IIe. No joystick, and 16 fps [if that] on a green monochrome monitor. Once I moved to IBM, the jig was up for Apple! Then it was Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer, Lucas Arts Battle of Britain, SWOTL and MicroProse titles...anything I could get. I still have the 5.25" and 3.5" disks for many of the games. They would likely crumble to dust if I tried to insert them though. Fond memories of being a loner without a guitar.

• Like 3

For me it was Il-2 1946, I remembered coming home from Junior high school and playing it on my dad's PC
course teen me didn't care about the whole "dogfighting and realism" thing 
with me opting to create ungodly amounts of crashes :v

• Like 2

SubLOGIC's Flight Simulator II for the Commodore 64. Man oh man, wireframe WW I biplanes that could actually fired bullets  were way too cool ! :pilotfly:

FlightSimulator_II_Cover.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/28/2023 at 5:10 PM, bazillius said:

Cool. F-16 is like real (if you have proper imagination).

My fiirst sim i played a campaign from beginning to the end was DID (Digital Image Design) EF2000

I play it from 1998 till present day. Best game ever.

I wish I could still  play it, or they make an updated one, then I'd be in Hog's heaven.

My first was F-15E Strike Eagle shown above. It  was a bit hard to use with just keyboard and mouse, but I did it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

I wish I could still  play it, or they make an updated one, then I'd be in Hog's heaven.

It Runs perfect on Dosbox, and Win 95 version runs with wraper, tuned for modern PCs. At least it works on Win 7 x64. If you will use wrapper than graphics will be even better than DCS Word.

If you dont believe me look youself

Edited by bazillius
  • Like 2

HomeFries turned me on to something like that. I'll have to look on it sometime I suppose.

Mine would be Chuck Yeager’s Air Combat.

I distinctly remember having to make sure I had the manual because it required you to type in a word from a specific page before the game would spin up.

The next one was the original DOS version of Jetfighter, followed by F-19 Stealth Fighter by Microprose. 

Edited by PFunk
  • Like 1

For me it was F-19 Stealth Fighter. I suppose the old Wolfpack it you want to include naval sims. Also X-Wing for space scifi stuff.

Edited by KJakker
  • Like 1

All good sims, some I forgot ages ago.

From the 80's, 90's, 00's, to today, The evolution of the flight sim, and Combat Flight Sim has changed drastically on not just the graphics end but in their complexity of realism as well.  I've been out of flight sims so awhile due to work and just not having enough machine to really run a modern day DCS.  I've recently solved that "machine" side of things and slowly piecing things back together to get back in the game.

• Like 3

On 3/7/2023 at 6:25 AM, Carter28 said:

Silent Service on a friend's Commodore 64. 

Yes, I had that one and I loved it I used to stay after returning from my University classes and sometimes I played until the next day and went to my class. lol I used to connect it to my TV.

EVXZuwxXQAAs6NQ?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 3

Tomahawk by Digital Integration, on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum.  48K bytes of RAM, two-tone wireframe graphics, and a Kempston Joystick.  It even had a dynamic campaign.  Well, kind of.  And you had to save your progress on a cassette tape.

1985.  Happy Days.

Tomahawk Screenshots for ZX Spectrum - MobyGames

• Like 2

On 28/02/2023 at 7:10 PM, bazillius said:

Cool. F-16 is like real (if you have proper imagination).

My fiirst sim i played a campaign from beginning to the end was DID (Digital Image Design) EF2000

I play it from 1998 till present day. Best game ever.

5-1.jpg

Woah...I had the TFX sim. Its almost like this one, and I remember the manual are huge, like a bible!

• Like 1

On 02/03/2023 at 12:30 AM, Stick said:

F-117 Night Storm and therafter F-22 Interceptor on the Sega Mega Drive console - early Nineties.

I heard F-22 Interceptor?

20230921_112901.jpg

Edited by madvad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dtmdragon said:

Top Gun: Fire at Will by Spectrum HoloByte 1996!

what no mention of this little gem (not my firstaviaton related game, but one of)

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.09e344e903b7d8b1fd4a17e8c616f945.jpg

Edited by daddyairplanes
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, madvad said:

Woah...I had the TFX sim. Its almost like this one, and I remember the manual are huge, like a bible!

yeah yeah btere was a big fat book to read before sleep :biggrin:

• Like 1

On 02/03/2023 at 11:48 PM, Arrow said:

SubLOGIC's Flight Simulator II for the Commodore 64. Man oh man, wireframe WW I biplanes that could actually fired bullets  were way too cool ! :pilotfly:

FlightSimulator_II_Cover.jpg

Same

I spent a lot of time chasing single pixel Fokker DrI in my Cessna Camel