Sign in to follow this  
ThePony314

Graphics problem, hard to describe

Okay, I searched this forum and I can't find any reference to this problem.  I hope that doesn't mean that I am the only one to experience it.

When playing, almost all the time the graphics go absolutely crazy.  Colors just bouncing all over the place, like a Pink Floyd laser light show.  It makes the game absolutely unplayable. 

I tried to take a screenshot so you could all see what I'm talking about, but all I got was a black screen when I attempted to post it here.  So there goes that idea.

This does not happen in loading or menu screens or anything like that.  It only happens when actually playing.  And once it happens, it keeps happening until I back out to the menus.

Sometimes, it happens immediately when a mission begins, other times, it take a few seconds.  But it happens every time.

Direct X us up to date.  My OS is Windows 7.  I have no mods installed.  I have uninstalled and re-installed, and have even uninstalled and re-downloaded from Third Wire.  Same problem no matter what I do.  Oh, and I am using an Intel(R) HD Graphics card, which is up to date.  Also, I have tried every variation of resolution and other things.  One last thing.  My FE 2 is up to date.

This is driving me crazy.  This game wasn't free, and I can't play it.  Any thoughts?  I thank you in advance for any helpful counsel.

Edited by ThePony314

Is that an actual graphics card because those things were usually onboard or the inbuilt graphics on Intel CPUs (Laptop yes?)

Run dxdiag and post the system specs.

Age of the laptop? Is it overheating?

You mention resolution. Are you running any graphic options at UNLIMITED?

It sounds a lot like a card issue. IMHO.

Laptop is not overheating.  Graphic options on UNLIMITED is...well, I have no idea what that means.  And laptop probably about 10 years old.  The laptop

Moop.png.eaf0a623fc44fef6cf4eec9e70ae5ccb.pngMpp2.png.bbc176f35a1dbfd2ecc7e71ad9d7739b.png

Wow the B950 was Q2 2011 and that is an onboard Graphics set.

A more modern gaming Laptop might be able to run it with an NVIDIA/AMD set (Maybe? ) - but 2011 Intel HD I would say that is the problem.

You could try reducing the settings to minimum to see if that might get anything.

On 5/25/2023 at 4:35 PM, ThePony314 said:

Laptop is not overheating.  Graphic options on UNLIMITED is...well, I have no idea what that means.  And laptop probably about 10 years old.  The laptop

Moop.png.eaf0a623fc44fef6cf4eec9e70ae5ccb.pngMpp2.png.bbc176f35a1dbfd2ecc7e71ad9d7739b.png

See screenshot. What do you have the various graphics options set to? "Unlimited" is an option but it takes some really beefy hardware to run that way. Like Migbuster said, try setting everything to LOW and see what happens.

sf2 grfx opts.jpg

Well, already did that.  Set everything as low as possible and the problem persists.  I am starting to think that I wasted my money.  Sounds like a guy has to be a technocrat to play much of anything these days.  I never had this problem with Strike Fighters Vietnam.

Might be possible to solve that video effects/artifacts problem by using a third-party dx9 DLL (driver) solution.

It's worth an attempt at any rate. See the details in this post to try the custom solution (disregard any references to WineSkin in that post). The attempt involves downloading a third-party dx9 driver and placing that driver into the main folder directory of your First Eagles 2 install (where the game is actually installed -- not into the user's FE2 folder located under "Saved Games").

If that doesn't solve the problem, one other attempt involves opening the "Options.ini" file that is located in the Saved Games/ThirdWire/FirstEagles2 directory and setting the entries indicated below (located under [GraphicsOptions]) as follows:

AntiAliasing=2
UseAdvancedShaders=0
ForceDX9=TRUE
ForceVSyncOff=TRUE

Cheers,

:smile:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, VonS said:

Might be possible to solve that video effects/artifacts problem by using a third-party dx9 DLL (driver) solution.

It's worth an attempt at any rate. See the details in this post to try the custom solution (disregard any references to WineSkin in that post). The attempt involves downloading a third-party dx9 driver and placing that driver into the main folder directory of your First Eagles 2 install (where the game is actually installed -- not into the user's FE2 folder located under "Saved Games").

If that doesn't solve the problem, one other attempt involves opening the "Options.ini" file that is located in the Saved Games/ThirdWire/FirstEagles2 directory and setting the entries indicated below (located under [GraphicsOptions]) as follows:

AntiAliasing=2
UseAdvancedShaders=0
ForceDX9=TRUE
ForceVSyncOff=TRUE

Cheers,

I shall try that.  Thanx.

Just to be sure, the 3W games since they're so old STILL require Dx9 be installed, no matter what level your machine is actaully at

• Like 2

On 5/27/2023 at 1:05 PM, VonS said:

AntiAliasing=2
UseAdvancedShaders=0
ForceDX9=TRUE
ForceVSyncOff=TRUE

Cheers,

Did like you said and it worked!  Glad it did, because this game has a style to it.  Already in love with the Spad XIII. 

Thanx so much for your counsel.

• Thanks 1