Sign in to follow this  
Shadowcat

Strike Fighters: AV-8C

This is just a heads-up for all the Harrier fans out there.

It's been a long wait since vector-thrust support was added to Strike Fighters: Project 1 (SFP1), but a Harrier that fully supports the feature is finally available!

Revamped AV-8C Completed and Ready for D/L

Update of the AV-8C...

AV-8 VSTOL Tips

AV-8 Landing Pattern

Harrier Landing Lights

OK, I just took her for a spin. The FM is vastly improved over even the fine work done this summer.

There are still a few inconsistencies between the FM and real life but I think most of these stem from this being an extremely unconventional airplane.

In general the climb performance is a bit too good, but turn performance is just about what I'd expect. No more level 5G turns at 15,000ft! If you are going to go 2 circle you're going to have to get your nose down now, just like in RL.

The Thrust Vector Control is nicely modeled. Crack the nozzles and you get a nice boost in pitch rate but with a horrifying loss of speed. Use it right and you get a good raking shot, use it wrong and you're out of altitude, airspeed, and ideas!

VSTOL is the crowning achievement here. I don't think it has been sucessfully emulated since the old Microprose JUMPJET days (or maybe Marine Fighters) and even then it wasn't this smooth. I just parked next to the tower and hovered at window height...an old favorite of mine from my days at the RAG. In the sim of course. ;)

Thanks for the heads up, I've tried it yesterday and the FM is top notch! I've tried X-Plane (which has full trust vectoring as well) but this one is the best so far - lets see how we can improve V/STOL in JT - anyone responsible for this SFP1 FM tweaking(Moon Jumper?), is interested in doing our JT FM tweaking? ;)

Thanks for the heads up, I've tried it yesterday and the FM is top notch! I've tried X-Plane (which has full trust vectoring as well) but this one is the best so far

An AV8-B pilot reckons so too.

An AV8-B pilot reckons so too.

I know... Deacon ;)

hello,

i wait about your sim... but i steal work on SFP1..

with have the harrier target too.

DAG1.jpg

DAG2.jpg

DAG3.jpg

DAG4.jpg

the plane is release (not sure on cambat ace.. but on C5 site.)

just a little question about ThunderJet, did you do an open sim (for external 3D models, Maps etc ..)

see you

Olivier

just a little question about ThunderJet, did you do an open sim (for external 3D models, Maps etc ..)

see you

Olivier

Possibly open like SFP1, although at the moment its near impossible for modders to do anything, due to the unorthodox nature of the engine and absolute lack of related editors/utilities(new content must be painfully added by hand, amongst other things).

Hey Dante,

Really happy to know that you like the AV-8C's FM. I did it with Deacon as betatester. Real life pilot's feedbacks are the point with this kind of stuff.

I'm working on the GR3 and the SHAR at moment. I wish them to be better than the AV-8C ;)

Interesting developments in SF land...

Wings Over Europe

Harrier external view

I wonder if this Harrier builds on the fine freeware work detailed above (flight model in particular), or if it's completely independent?

Some other notable planes in that set, too. Got to love the Hawker Hunter! :)

Interesting developments in SF land...

Exciting! :) First time I see 3d clouds in SFP1:

woe_ss_01.jpg

This pic is particularly awesome, with the Luftwaffe Phantom.

How is their WWI biplane's sim going? I've heard the clouds came from that development.

How is their WWI biplane's sim going? I've heard the clouds came from that development.

They are all based on the 1 engine so the clouds came from the continuing development of that, they'll be in SF P1, WOV, WOE etc. etc.