Gunrunner

Your first combat flight sim...

"There was a F-117 published by EA ? Microprose's one or another ?

Funny how no one seems to have started with Fighter Bomber or Birds of Prey."

jajaja!!! F-117 was the remake of F-19, in some part better in some part dont

i remember fighter bomber...run on DOS...no joys available...only 1 thing good, the mount rooshmore with the heads of US presidents

birds of prey never work to me, i select plane, weapons, fly...and crash, game error.

was very old time...but you know, old time was better time!!!

I think first off Aviator on the BBC B in about '84, pretty good Spitfire sim for the time although the target were 'alien invaders'. I'm guessing because there's no way you could have done a realistic Me-109 with the graphics available. A couple of years after that it was Phantom Combat again on the BBC B, guns only and the view was fixed forward, I must have logged 100s of hours on that! It even had multi-player, I could just never find someone else willing to lug their computer to my place and link them together with an RS-423 cable!

First PC flight sims and games would have been 1942 Pacific Air War and Fleet Defender in about '94/'95. And the first thing I did with them was try and mod the aircraft!

Edited by SkippyBing

The first one I played was a friend's copy of Jane's US Navy Fighters '97, and then I played Jane's ATF frequently when I lived with my grandparents after getting evacuated from Saudi Arabia. The first one I owned was Jane's ATF Gold, and I still have it, as well as IAF.

Oh man, I played the snot out of Jane's ATF, when it first came out.

It was such a well rounded 'bang for your buck', game.

A good thing, too... I paid a lot of bucks for it... nearly $80.00CAD.

Ace of aces, an mosquito simulator, year 1987 it will be, i still have it, later f-16 combat pilot, aces over europe and over pacific......secret weapons of the luftwaffe, battle of britain, their finest hour......

Edited by Hans Topp

My first "true" sim was Fleet Defender Gold. I don't really count the console games, which were more games than sims (After Burner, Top Gun, etc.)

F-15 Strike Eagle on Atari 800 XL, loved the manual!

btw for anybody who doesn't know about this, you can replay all those old sims using an emulator.

Here's a good place to go http://www.emuasylum.com/

So long ago i can't even remember what the computer was, but it was called harrier jump jet. I had a green monitor and was hooked. Then i got falcon for the C-64, F-19 stealth fighter, good old Chuck's in there too. Birds of prey and god knows what else. Then i got an Amiga 1200 ant got Combat air Patrol, ATF and US navy fighters. Ahhhhh the memories.......

good times.

Tornado sim

atari1040

Guest USNadpc

Jet and Falcon by SH here too

I didn't even have a computer up until maybe 2000 or so, and therefore my first CFS experience was the first Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator. At that point I'd had a little experience on other people's systems, but most of it was spent in gravity- and liftless sci-fi "flight sims" like X-Wing.

After MCFS 1 I picked up on the civilian flight sims, then FlightGear, finally settling for MCFS 3 for a year or so. I later discovered LoMac and Aces High II, the latter of which is mostly an MMO WWII sim (I'm surprised I don't see much of it on this site, by the way, because it's really quite good).

Now I play mostly LoMac and Aces High II, with little else in any PC gaming category with the exception of Call of Duty 1 and a few select RTSs.

A.C.E on the C64 , IIRC it stood for "Air combat emulator" and I loved it, think it came out around 1984.

(first post here btw and i'd like to say hi all and i'm loving this forum, i've found a home at last :))

I have been flying combat sims since 1983. Obviously my first ones were on very systems. Spectrums and Commodore 16 and 64's, then Atari's and Amigas. My favourite all time combat sim was F16 Combat Pilot on the Amiga A500 and the updated faster version on the A1200. Closely followed by Tornado by the same company, Digital Integration, closel followed by Flight of the Intruder.

fintruder-c.gif4075.jpg

Great days. :yes: My current favourite is Falcon 4 Allied Force and Battle of Britain 2 Wings of Victory and Wings over Israel. My Retro Pc with Sli'd Voodoo2 cards and Win98 SE installed

I still have all these sims. Here are some pics of my sims:

DSCF2220.jpg

DSCF2219.jpg

DSCF2221.jpg

DSCF2218.jpg

DSCF2216.jpg

Quite a few of my very oldest are in the loft somewhere along with my old Amiga.

Happy flight simming folks. :clapping:

Holy jeez, dude.

For me probably Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer. I remember all the box airplanes - at least I don't ever remember seeing any that looked sorta like the real thing . That game was a bit over my head for the age I was while playing it. The funniest part was after you bought the farm, ol' Chuck would pop up and fire off some stinging remark: "You call yourself a pilot?" or "That's a sorry way to land an airplane," etc.

Then, probably, The Blue Max - another old Commodore game. I remember this one actually needed a cassette tape to play. Strike Eagle, Top Gun, some Harrier game, an F-16 game, and Ace of Aces all for the Commodore.

Another good sim I've played between now and then is Warbirds II. That was just a fun game to play and you could fly a whole range of WWII planes - fighters, dive bombers, big-wing bombers, etc. Lots of fun. I remember that the damage modelling in that iteration of the game was some of the better stuff I'd seen to that point. Often you'd take hits that wouldn't just cause you to explode, but you're guns might jam, or you'd get an oil leak, or your tail would get shot off.

Two of my other all-time favorites are Aces Over Europe and Aces of the Pacific - by Dynamix. Loved those games.

I never had Yeager's AFT, but I had Air Combat, which had 3 eras--WWII, Korea, and Vietnam.

I don't remember what he said when you did well, but I remember his snarky comments when you failed all too well!

"Alright, get back up there and try it again."

"Good thing this is just a simulator!"

Microprose Strike Eagle for C64. I also have its great-grandchild Jane's F-15. Mudhens rock.....

Edited by kirbykern

F/A-18 Interceptor was my real first sim. I tried the original Falcon also and from then on, was hooked.

Storm

My first combat flight sim was F-16 AGRESSOR. I was just 6 years old and I was the only one in my house who learned to handle it to perfection :yes: