Gunrunner

Your first combat flight sim...

European Air War, ,still playing it thanks to his marvelous community! Still one of my favourites!

Cheers

Fighter Pilot for Sinclair 48K ZX Spectrum+ . Can't recall years. '86?

1124971546-00.jpg

Edited by squid

Holy thread resurrection Batman.  

I just managed to get an old PC up and running.  It has an early pentium CPU (500MHZ) and an early Nvidia card (3DFX) and 16mb ram.  I reformatted the hard drive and its running Windows 98 and Dos 6.22.  Just installed Janes USAF and it still looks great.  I loved this sim.  It was probably the best ever made in my opinion.  Just love the radio comms and the missions.  I wish I could get USAF working on my current system with Win 7.

JANESA10_zps6799cc03.jpg

usaf3_zps66a89b8f.jpg

Well that's lot of effort for that  

The A-10 doesn't look too bad - my main worry would be Win 98 - if there is one OS I would consign to Hell  :biggrin:

Well that's lot of effort for that  

The A-10 doesn't look too bad - my main worry would be Win 98 - if there is one OS I would consign to Hell  :biggrin:

No effort really, it's my hobby.  And Win 98 was far better than Win 95 by a long way.  Of all the OS's, Windows Millenium was by far the worst.  

Still have that Sim but never got to fly it.Have an old machine laying around might do the same.

My First was a wireframe Sim called JET and then all the others everyone has listed. If it was an air combat Sim plane or helo I bought it. Had some ship and sub Sims too. Too bad they couldn't be updated to play on latter versions of windows although many were DOS to start.

Edited by usafphantom2

Actually, Win98's first release was poor, but 98SE in 99 was golden. I kept it until WinXP SP2 when I finally upgraded. Never touched Millenium or 2k at home, and I tried and dumped XP pre-SP1.

first flyght-sim experience in "Hellcats Over Pacific" (1991)   based on Mac

245581-they-re-dropping.png

then the wonderful "F/A-18 Hornet 3.0" (1997)    Mac based

hornet_3.0.png

finally in 1998 Micorprose released the Milestone on flight-sim aviation: "Falcon 4.0"  (windows)

falcon4-1998.jpg

:pilotfly: bye!

Simo

Hmm, just noticed this.

Tomahawk - ZX Spectrum.

Still got it - and yup, I still play it, when I'm in the mood!

Think it was the first one to be considered a 'simulator' for the home computer?

First fixed wing was Tornado - also for Speccy.

post-63583-0-89207200-1385070041.jpg

post-63583-0-07982400-1385070055.jpg

Edited by JDUK

Oh wow, that was a DI title? I honestly didn't know about them until the 90s.

Secret Weapons of the Luft.  CFS 1. After those i was hooked for good. Falcon 4 was great also, though complex to play effectively .

This one...

eaw 2016-09-05 00-06-36-26.jpg

...don't play it much these days, but Microprose's European Air War's still on my hard drive. In terms of scope, content and approach to the single player campaign experience, it's still the classic, object lesson in how to put together a WW2 air combat sim, down to the radio set, creaky bedsprings and the bloke with a cough in your nissen hut, while you viewed your logbook or applied for leave. That was how to do it, and still is. As Mark Anthony would have said, if he had been addressing the crowd on sims and not the death of Julius Caesar:

ANTHONY: Here was a combat flight sim. When comes such another?

FIRST SIMMER: NEVER! NEVER!

Amazes me this thread is still going. :grin:

Just like my Red Baron 3d Pfalz D.XII...

Baron 2016-09-09 20-40-35-63.jpg

...my Aerosim/CFS2 Val...

Aerosim Val.jpg

...my Panzer Commander Tiger...

Panzer 2015-03-31 20-20-34-256.png

...or my M1 Tank Platoon II M1A2...

M1TP2 2014-06-18 22-12-54-62.jpg

...nostalgia can strike at any time! :biggrin:

"Good thing this is only a simulator."

Man did I want to punch the general in his face after the dozenth time I heard that getting shot down over Germany.

My first combat flight sim was Top Gun: Fire at Will. Did anyone else play that game? It was on the lower end of middle-ground flight simulators in terms of realism, although it still felt reasonably authentic - certainly the most realistic of all the Top Gun games that were released over the years. It had a ton of atmosphere and really captured the tone of the movie. I loved the banter you heard in the air during missions... the game even had some friendly ribbing between Air Force and Navy pilots during exercises over the Grand Canyon as I recall. Excellent voice acting.

Second sim was US Navy Fighters. Needless to say, I was sold on the F-14 after those two games...

Wow I don't remember the name, it was more than a decade ago. But it was a demo where the only plane which I could pilot was a F-86. I downloaded it from anywhere (I don't remember, it was in 2006).