Sign in to follow this  
SeaWulf

Windows 7

My is the oldest one, Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro that connected through a gameport and not a USB.

I examined, with Process Monitor, the processes running while I was playing OFF. And each time I move the joystick there is a call for a sys file that control and induce the force feedback effects in the joystick. That might induce or not some lag. But the fact is that turning off Force Feedback with this particular joystick reduced a lot of the stuttering, in my case. I'm sure that this will happen also with other games. I don't believe that this is a particular case of CFS3 or OFF.

It's a pity that M$ stop giving support to gameport and to their own devices.

Im also running Windows 7 64bit with an MS SW Forcefeedback2 with no problems.

m

My is the oldest one, Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro that connected through a gameport and not a USB.

It's a pity that M$ stop giving support to gameport and to their own devices.

Unfortunately as with all hardware it reaches the end, you cannot support it forever in PC land otherwise an OS would be even more of a monster than they are now. Gameports are well old now and totally superceeded by USB which has been out for 10 years or something. USB 3.0 is out soon! :)

I have a Audigy with gameport uncleal.

The problem is that M$ stop the support of gameport in Vista. But there is a hack, which I'm using and working well in Win7 also. Only I don't have FFB.

But like Pol said it's time to move on. I ordered a Thrustmaster T.16000M. But I bet that old Sidewinder will survive longer than all of that new "fancy" joysticks.

Don't be too quick to right-off that stick, I'm told that some old sound cards have Gameports on them. Worth looking into, it's way to tie the gameport to your Mobo, for next to nothing

I had to stop using my gameport via my old soundblaster card years ago as the card itself didn't fit the new motherboards.

... I'll give Windows 7, time to mature, but for me at least, it needs to support FFB.

Then I would Welcome it with open arms, but until then, . . I'll stick with XP. Because I can't understand how people can speak of immersion without Force Feedback good.gif

No problems running Win7 x64 with FFB on my Logitec Wingman 3D, but Logitec does provide Vista x64 drivers which work fine with 7.

Edited by B Bandy RFC

I'm finally getting to look at Windows7 Enterprise on an HP 7900 at work. I brought in OFF to "test" also because I'm interested in the XP Mode to see if there is any difference or advantages :

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/08/04/windows-xp-mode-rc-now-available.aspx

First off . . one issue was turning on the Virtualization. On HPs it hidden in the BIOS under Security . . FYI.

So far I have done the following. Installed CFS3 and OFF into their own directories so they are not troubled by the lockdowns on the "Program Files". Applied Admin rights and WP-SP3 compatibility to CFS3.EXE, OFFManager.EXE, and CFS3MP.EXE.

At this point I am able to do Single player. With Multi player I can get to the screen with the two Medals. When I try to HOST, after hitting START is where it is having "unknown" issues. At least it exits nicely.

Right now is where the XP MODE comes into play. I believe I have verified that you need to actually install the program from within the Virtual shell. I am hoping that I dont have to install everything! I have pointed to where the original CFS3 was installed which is a virtual drive. The OFF installation seemed to accept it. So we shall see. Theorhetically if this goes well . . . it is supposed to run like it is under XP. "In theory".

Still copying files . . . .

*** EDITED ***

See this thread http://forum.combatace.com/topic/49747-windows-7-cfs3-and-multiplayer-games/page__s__2b1fd2feb77b439930f217e93cbe1d8a

All this trouble due to one file . . . oleacc.dll . . . I came across this thread in a google search after lunch (we all work better after being feed!). Wish I were at home and has TS available. Maybe someone like SittingDuck would have been on the TS server! Would have saved some time. Good learning experience though . . . I'm ready to upgrade my home system to Windows7 Enterprise now <grin>.

Most of the times I've been playing without the compatibility XP checked and never had any problems so far. I run with only "Run as Admnistrator" checked.

What I've been noticing is when I check the compatibility tab on the campaign/mission loads slower.

Does anybody with Win7 feels the same?

In a certain way it makes sense that the compatibility mode can slow down the access to the HD, and that can be one of the causes for the stuttering that some people report.

Von Paulus:

I like the reviews for Thrustmaster T.1600M but haven't seen anything about the stick's compatibility with Win 7. Has anyone?

Von Paulus:

I like the reviews for Thrustmaster T.1600M but haven't seen anything about the stick's compatibility with Win 7. Has anyone?

Works good in Win7.

Not a bad joystick for the price, though I hate the green led which is always on when you use the stick.

I'm not sure how long it will resist. It's not a Microsoft Sidewinder that I can tell.

But nothings is like a Sidewinder in terms of resistance.

Edited by Von Paulus

Hi,

I am running CFS3 fine on W7.

Off Phase 2 installed fine but when I try to run it I get the message "File MSSTDFMT.DLL" must be installed on the computer.

Anyone know what this file is or where I might get it?

Thanks

Haven't heard anybody ask for that file in a Long. . .Long . .Long time. It was added to Windows32, without it Phase 2 just plain won't run

Which then brings us to an interesting fork in the road. . .If you have W7 - 32bit. . . Try PM to Sitting Duck maybe he's got a copy

If you have W7 - 64bit. . Order Phase III

Yep You have given me my answer! Order for Phase 3 on it's way!!

Thanks!!

I posted elsewhere about this, but is that the answer? It won't run in Window 7 64 bit?

Thank you. That is rather what I thought.

OFF ran fine under XP but now with W7 Ultimate I get the error "wmp.dll or one of its dependencies is missing or not registered"

I have tried an uninstall and reinstall with the same result...

Trying to run BHH afther installing it to my win7 64. When I try creating a pilot I get the following message:"Home Field File Error!:Try Re-installing OFF!"

I tried re-intalling several times still no success.How cani resolve this?