Sign in to follow this  
ZO9

Skyraider Guppy AEW.1 and Avro Shackelton

Hi

I know these are post war aircraft

is anyone planning to make these aircraft ?

The shack souds great with four Rollsroyce Griffons and contra-rotating props

and the Royal Navy skyraider looks realy odd with the radome .

Not that I know of ....

however I DO have the MAX files file for MontyCZ Skyraider, if someone want to take on the AEW. Easy enough to adapt my existing RN Skyraider skin for it's use.

The major problem with ASW/recon/picket planes, is there isn't really anything for them to do. the "Anti-Submarine" mission statement has never been activated, and unlike the old ATF/FA, having a AWAC airborne, dosn't link to your radar for an expanded view.

And the mission provfile for RECON, always puts your bird down on the deck, unlike U-2s flying at 80k feet (where they belong!) One can edit the mission statement as to min/max alt (but I foget WHICH ini it is...missioncontrol.ini??)

wrench

kevin stein

that must be that really old I sent you agggeeees ago!! Looks pretty damn good. Reworked from that old one, obviously (doh!!)

the new lod has recut meshes (like that one I uploaded last year) for more decals, opening canopy, folding wings, some new stuff. Dose that one have the recut meshes, for more skin bmps/decals? Can't remember!!

Don't think the Guppies had guns, but I can check the Detail & Scale book easily enough.

wrench

kevin stein

ps: there's also something very special in the works for the Skyraiders, too....

Edited by Wrench

Yes those are the old ones, I have created them a year ago, but haven`t finished them, have used the pilot method, than I used the parts on the max files I had from you and never brought them ingame ;-) cause it was my very beginning in modeling and I had no idea what to do ;-)

Maybe PM me what you are planing or what is WIP so I did`t start it ;-) Can send you later next week my Ye-152 projects if you like

Thanks Guys

Until I saw a picture of the Royal Navy Guppy i didnt know that the Navy had them.

there are two of them at the Fleet Air Arm museum but there not on display .

I just thought that the Fairey Gannets were in that role.

The Gannet replaced the Skyraider in that role. :wink:

Thanks for the information bye.gif

The Gannet replaced the Skyraider in that role.

With radars taken from the Skyraiders, which then found their way into the Shackletons after the Gannets retired and the RAF had to do their own AEW. Not that I'm saying the MoD are cheap....

Keep on working on it, buddy! It's a most welcome addon for the incomming Suez! :clapping:

A Gannet

would fill a gap in the post war prop aircraft with or without the radar the could be used for light bombers as they have a large bomb bay

A Gannet

would fill a gap in the post war prop aircraft with or without the radar the could be used for light bombers as they have a large bomb bay

After the Gannets the role goes to the Sea Kings, i remember a version with tilting radome on the side in rise up position for Take Off/Landing and "Head Down" position to operate the tool, maybe they carried the same Gannet's apparate adapted after the Her Majesty CV decommission..... Maybe they partecipate to the Falkland/Malvinas campaign. Anyway a good Gannet is in our desiderata, do not forget his role ground based in the Marineflieger before the Atlantic developement.

Edited by NGHENGO

From Wiki: Royal Navy AEW capability had been lost when the Fairey Gannet aeroplane was withdrawn after the last of the RN's fleet carriers, HMS Ark Royal, was decommissioned in 1978. During the Falklands War a number of warships were lost, with casualties, due to the lack of an indigenous AEW presence - the RAF Shackleton AEW.2 proposed fleet cover was too unresponsive and at too great a distance to be practical. Two HAS2 Sea Kings were modified in 1982. They were both flying within 11-weeks as the AEW2A and deployed with 824 'D' Flight on HMS Illustrious and served in the Falklands after the cessession of hostilities.

The AEW Sea Kings use a Searchwater radar, the same as the Nimrod with various upgrades to the electronics over the years. When they were retired from ASW four Mk5 Sea Kings were also converted to the AEW role, although the only approved way to do this was to first downgrade them to the earlier Mk2 ASW version and then convert them to the Mk2 AEW before upgrading to the Mk7 AEW version. The alternative was to design a new work package to make the conversion in one step which would probably have taken longer!

Folks:

Apologies for dredging up this old topic, but I'm wondering about the AEW Skyraider mods depicted in the screenshots from 76.IAP-Blackbird. Were these things ever released? If not, any plans to finish them off and release them?

I ask because I have need of them.

Thanks,

Eric Howes

prolly not, given the length of time that's passed