Ever since the May 2013 patch I have had same problems that many others had with every terrain in SF2. These include the constant shimmering of buildings and water, and the fading distance of terrain objects and detail being incredibly short.

I have tried every fix in the forums and all the recommended add-ons but still no luck. I have been able to fix the fading distance somewhat but it just makes other issues come up such as sky color being off and very very long loading times and game crashes. So therefore I just reverted back to the original issues as they didn't cause these additional issues. 

Here are the fixes I've tried

http://combatace.com/topic/78531-may-2013-patch-horizon-distance/?hl=%2Bhorizon+%2Bdistance

http://combatace.com/topic/72088-sf2-tod-buildings-shimmering-bug/

http://combatace.com/topic/73755-terrain-tweak/

I was wondering if anyone else has been as unlucky as I have or if I'm the only one who's still having these issues. If anyone has figured out a fix or even a small solution other than all the fixes provided on the forum please do share!

Thanks everybody

I fixed the shimmering of buildings in my Graphics card software.

Anti-Aliasing mode = super sample

Anisotropic Filtering = 4X

And in the options.ini :

[GraphicsOptions]
DisplayDeviceID=0
DisplayWidth=1920
DisplayHeight=1080
DisplayDepth=32
AspectRatio=1.777778
AntiAliasing=4
ForceDX9=FALSE
ForceVSyncOff=FALSE
LensFlare=0
DetailLevel=4
ObjectDetail=1
ObjectTexture=3
CockpitTexture=3
CockpitMirrors=0
CockpitReflection=1
EffectsDetail=2
TerrainDetail=2
TerrainTexture=3
HorizonDistance=3
GroundObjectDensity=3
WaterDetail=3
CloudsDetail=2
Shadow=0
ObjectsFade=False
Use32BitZBuffer=TRUE

And FLIGHTENGINE.ini

[unlimitedDetailOption]
HorizonDistance=50000.0
DetailMeshSize=10
DetailLevel=2
WaterEffect=2
NoiseTexture=1
MaxTextureRes=-1

[ForegroundSceneClip]
FarClipDistance=14000.0
NearClipDistance=1.5

I hope this is of some help to you.

Thanks for your reply. I tried the Antialiasing setting but still get shimmering of buildings.

Appreciate your help though

Thanks for your reply. I tried the Antialiasing setting but still get shimmering of buildings.

Appreciate your help though

What graphics adapter are you using? Nvidia? AMD (Radeon)? Intel? We need to know in order to help you resolve this.

Turning shadows down a notch cured my shimmering issues with buildings.

and, just as importantly, WHICH terrains, all or add ons? Which TODs are on the terrains in question? Some have major issues due to mesh overlapping of those large building (like as used on the India/Pakistan terrain)

posting screenshots could be of some assistance, too

Hey everyone thanks for the replies.

Fubar, I am using an Nvidia GT330M. It's an older computer and I know this isn't the best graphics card but everything was fine before the patch last year.

Sundowner, How do I turn off shadows?

Wrench, It happens in all terrains and what exactly does TOD mean?

I'll get some screenshots up tomorrow.

Thanks guys

Force anti-aliasing in the Nvidia control panel, make sure that  "override any application setting" is selected in the pull-down menu, like so:

Nvidia Control Panel.jpg

Terrain

Object

Detail

them's the little buildings and trees on every terrain,  that are NOT terrain objects, and are "built" into the tiles.

but what you're describing sounds more like a game or computer issue.

For those that don't look at the other game menus, on the Main Menu, you'll see the Options. Follow that to Graphics. You can set the shadows, ground objects, horizon distance, etc in there.

Thanks Fubar I'll try this setting in the Nvidia control panel.

Wrench, Thanks for the info I haven't really gone into "mainmenu/options/graphics" in quite a while since I had everything set to unlimited last year, and I forgot that's where the shadow options are.

If you still want me to post screenshots I can, but it wont show shimmering since it's a still shot of course.

The horizon distances I have look just like the first two photos on this thread (http://combatace.com/topic/78531-may-2013-patch-horizon-distance/?hl=%2Bhorizon+%2Bdistance)

and I have yet to figure out this issue as well. I have increased Horizon distance enough in the past, but not comparable to pre-May2013 patch level.

Edited by warthog64

Well the Nvidia settings helped some, and then a fellow SF2 gamer friend told me to change the Background material effects shader from terfarterraineffect to just terraineffect and this helped with the fading distance enormously!

Buildings and water still shimmer but a lot less than they used to.

Thanks everyone

all the terterraineffect edit does is turn off the DX10 shaders.

you never mentioned if you're on XP, 7 or 8.

in the Options ini, in the GraphicOptions, have you tried

ForceDX9 = TRUE

(it's FALSE by default)

??

I'm using windows 7

I used ForceDX9=TRUE in the past but read on the forums that it is not applicable with windows 7. I tried ForceDX10 and DX11 set to TRUE but they also didn't help much.

Either way turning off the DX10 shaders with the terraineffect edit makes terrains much more pleasant to look at with the far horizon distance. So Overall I'm pleased with the fixes

Go to yourName\Users\Saved Games\Thirdwire\Strike Fighters Install. 

If my mind serves me right, you have to create a "Terrains" folder in that folder and then place the terrain folder in the "Terrains" folder you just created.  Go in-game and then verify.

Force anti-aliasing in the Nvidia control panel, make sure that  "override any application setting" is selected in the pull-down menu, like so:

Can you post, kindly.....your settings for the Nvidia control panel??    bowdown2.gif.pagespeed.ce.hVyLpGCsBI.gif

I thank you infinitely!!!!   clapping.gif.pagespeed.ce.letqCZTOMd.gif