Sign in to follow this  
ST0RM

ASUS G series or Alienware 17?

Pretty similar specs. Slightly less power on the ASUS vid card (3Gig vs 4Gig, etc)

Just looking at prices right now. My 4 year old G73 just isn't cutting the mustard with FSX anymore and I'd like to move to P3d and run full out.

What do you think?

-Jeff

ASUS all day-every day. I currently have the ASUS G771JM and I love it!

I wonder if either offer a military discount since I'm still technically active duty for the next few months.

I just ordered a ASUS ROG GL551JW-DS71 15.6-Inch FHD Gaming Laptop, NVIDIA GTX960M 15.6-Inch FHD Screen. NVIDIA GTX960M 2G GDDR5.

• Intel Core i7-4720HQ 2.6 GHz Processor (Turbo to 3.6GHz).
  • 1 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive. 16 GB DDR3 RAM.
  • Wireless 802.11 A/B/G/N. Gigabit Ethernet Port. Signature ROG aluminum chassis.
  • 3x USB 3.0, 1x HDMI, 1x MiniDisplay. SDXC Card Reader. 720P HD Webcam

It should arrive tomorrow.

I've worked on Alienware laptops and while I thought they were great, they are also very proprietary and difficult to work on.  At least for me.  And granted, they were a few years old.

I bought this for gaming; mostly for SF1/SF2.

Also got a Saitek Cyborg / Mad Catz F.L.Y 5 collapsible/adjustable handle joystick for it for when I travel.

I'll let you know how this one works once I replace the hard drive with a Western Digital Black 750GB 7200RPM hard drive.

:salute: 

• Like 1

I got myself an Alienware 17 with A core I7 4710M, 8GB GTX880M, and 16 GB RAM with 256GB SSD & 1TB SATA last year and it can handle any (gaming/simulation) software thus far.... 

I too had a similar question as you did regarding whether I ought to get an Alienware 17 or Asus G series.... Chose the Alienware 17 due to better tech support and product availability in my country of residence...

Had I chosen the Asus G series; I would've had to import it, (it cost a bomb)... customs would also have to be paid and lack of tech support...so considering the overall costs covering price of the Laptop, Import duty, tech support, the Alienware 17 was the better option as far as i was concerned...

I Know that the Asus G Series has a better cooling system though (although The Alienware 17 can match up to it on all other aspects)..... If tech support for ASUS products is readily available in your country... go for the latest Asus G series...

Thank you all for the inputs. I'll keep shopping around and see whats available when I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Jeff