Sign in to follow this  
MarkEAW

Installing EAW

Install Help Document that I put together. https://eaw.neocities.org/install.html
Its primarily for installing from the CD to patch upto v1.2, Tips to just to get you started are included.
Also There are directions pointing you to fixing problems and usage for any player to read.
Hope it helps.

Edited by MarkEAW
updated link
  • Like 1

I have updated this Install Guide for EAW

If you have any problems following the directions or come across a problem I didn't cover feel free to contact me or post here, I'll help ya.

Edited by MarkEAW

I have since add much needed technical info to installing EAW help doc on my help web site.
See my Troubleshoot Help Document if the game has any sorts of problems running.
https://eaw.neocities.org/troubleshoot.html

Edited by MarkEAW

Hi Mark:

My EAW 1.28 work very good but I have a problem with the Graphics, or maybe is only a thing of settings.

The smoke effects or the condensation stream in altitude are "squared" , that mean the plume of smoke consisted in a serie of small squared no so nice to see.

My system is Windows 10, but the game(1.28) is set in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and run as administrador.

The graphic card is a Intel HD 530(4096 MB)(Graphic unit integrated with memory partaged).

Thanks

ugh, It might just be the onboard Intel HD 530, the way it displays...(I see thats its a DirectX 12 chip, not much experience with that)

Are you using the Beta Drivers for it or Standard release?
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/88345/Intel-HD-Graphics-530-for-6th-Generation-Intel-Core-Processors

You should have 1.28e installed out of the \Program Files folder and placed someplace else. Without the compatibility mode nor the admin setting.

Are you running in D3D or Glide(with nGlide)?

MrJelly at the SimHQ recently updated the main exe of the EAw version your using with some fixes plus Glide 3 support. You might want to contact him here or over there.

Edited by MarkEAW

Solved Mark. Thanks.

The installation of the NGlide 105 solved all issues and Eaw run now much better. Others small graphics issues were also all fixed with this programme.

Thanks for letting me know your results. I will be-able to help others out then and I can update my Installation document.

Make sure you get the updated EAW v1.28e exe (Feb 2016) has it runs Glide API v3.0 rather than the old v2.43 and is faster in performance, plus it fixes some bugs.

Contact MrJelly for a Download link.

Lately I have rewritten many portions of the Manually Install EAW Help Document on my site.
Including adding many more support and technical details.
Please see my site for help. Ask you Install and other related problems here. :)

Edited by MarkEAW

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2015 at 11:52 AM, MarkEAW said:

Install Help Document that I put together. http://eaw.neocities.org/install.html
Its primarily for installing from the CD to patch upto v1.2, Tips to just to get you started are included.
Also There are directions pointing you to fixing problems.
Hope it helps.

Your Help Site, once I trusted your instructions, allowed me to get EAW up and running.  Many thanks!

Hi, Mark! hope all is well with you!  I am just getting over the transition of computers from original Win 7 (gaming) to new Win 10 unit; I needed to install new RAM, upgrade graphics card,  upgrade power supply, an some other stuff. along with upgrading CPU from I5 to I7.  All of these components were pretty cheap, and self-installed, so the new comp probably stands me at $400.  Along the way, I also upgraded CPU in laptop (everyday computer) to an I5 unit from the original I3.  I have been spending a little money, but learning a lot, and the knowledge is priceless.  All is going well, but I still need to transfer all the programs/files on Win 7 Computer to the new Win 10 unit.  That might take a few days, but so far as my reading on the internet goes, my intended method of file transference should work all right.  Then we will see how things work.  I have a lot more sims on the Win 7 HD than EAW, but that is not your concern.  Will advise when there is news to report.

Thank you for maintaining/upgrading the Help Site!  It's truly the best portal into EAW.  I don't believe you are given anywhere near the credit you deserve for helping keeping the game alive.

Yup. Thanks guys. I am selfless with my intentions. (However I shared my know-hows that I needed to know, with everyone else)

But anyone starting off should read the First Use Help Document rather than the Install Help Document.
https://eaw.neocities.org/first-use.html
Read that document first,  then possibly the Install Help Document after that, or wherever.....

Mark i read your whole site frequently and always seem to find a little something I didn't know

Edited by rwatson

You say that all the time Russ ;)

Besides that, I touched up the install Help Doc. System Requirements section got rearranged and updated slightly.

Based on RIBobs insistent choice of words, telling me I'm that its a mistake to leave out the option for VM use for EAW, I have included a small blurb about it. Thanks for showing me the light. :)
Since I have no intention of testing it out, I have nothing further to add to my site other than the short blurb.
That's unfortunate as RIBOB indicates that its a great option for those willing to use it if they have available to them the proper software and supported OS and hardware.

On 4/8/2019 at 2:03 AM, MarkEAW said:

You say that all the time Russ ;)

Besides that, I touched up the install Help Doc. System Requirements section got rearranged and updated slightly.

Based on RIBobs insistent choice of words, telling me I'm that its a mistake to leave out the option for VM use for EAW, I have included a small blurb about it. Thanks for showing me the light. :)
Since I have no intention of testing it out, I have nothing further to add to my site other than the short blurb.
That's unfortunate as RIBOB indicates that its a great option for those willing to use it if they have available to them the proper software and supported OS and hardware.

Well, as I learn things, I try to pass them along.  Looks like "Dual-Boot" might be distinctly preferable for gamers as dual-booting does not divide computer resources as does VM.  Seems simpler to set-up, although care must be taken to do so.

As you mentioned in another thread, having external drive caddies with replaceable OpSys is an even simpler choice, but I don't know how the drives and caddies will hold up to  repeated insertion/re-insertion; maybe best to have separate, dedicated caddies for all desired OpSys, and one for back-up use, as needed.

Work in progress.

Mark, having just read a bit on your site, I don't see where the original OpSys ('95/'98 ?) for the various versions of the games were specifically mentioned during the historical discussion.  Maybe some users looking into running EAW in native environment might want that info.  Also, if some future OpSys were less-than-useful, might be worthwhile to mention such.  We all know Win 7 seems to be a "sweet spot", but that is probably because of a lot of Modders taking specific measures to adapt EAW to that particular OpSys.  Newcomer  users will necessarily concerned about Win 10.  As I have opined before,  the opportunity for a Win 10 User,  just discovering EAW, to easily download and play EAW is absolutely essential to the Game's survival.  They can always dig deeper for other versions of the Sim, but having an easily accessible, and easily playable version of EAW for newcomer Win 10 users remains []essential, IMHO.  YMMV.

Regardless of which approach is taken towards playing the game, and by that I mean single OpSys, Multi-Boot, or VM, prospective users might benefit from knowing which OpSys to favor, and those to avoid.

As always, submitted for your consideration, and with all good intentions.

Sincerely, RIBob

Sure, Its in the the Troubleshoot Help document.

It explains exactly what your saying, each os has issues with the game.
I do mentioned in the Install doc the OS Consideration topic, to see the Troubleshoot Help Document for modern os issues.
And again at the end of the document to see the same Help Doc.

Win10, I prefer to have overall, but Win7 does/or did have a speed bonus in EAW performance. Win10 recent upgrade which fixed a problem with the menus switching slowly, so there working properly now.

Edited by MarkEAW

I've since expanded the OS consideration paragraph and removed the VM info on the Install document.

Its really not practical to try to get EAW to run on a VM machine, its too involved for me to suggest it and it might not work depending on hardware used.

Mark, I think that is wise on both accounts.  In my ignorance, I formerly believed VM to be the answer to ageing computers, allowing the existing Win 7 (or whatever) OpSys to run within a modern Win 10 OpSys.  After learning a bit more, it seems that the VM approach is not nearly as suitable--for the Gamer--as is a "Dual Boot" machine, wherein separate hard drives exist with their own programs and Op Systems, and the user chooses which to use at start-up.  The dual Boot method allows both programs to use all of the computers resources, not designated fractions, and is rather easier to configure.

So, good on you. 

33Lima has some kind of dual-boot system on his Windows 10 pc, enabling him to run BoBII on Windows 7. He says the whole thing cost him about £50.

21 hours ago, Sky High said:

33Lima has some kind of dual-boot system on his Windows 10 pc, enabling him to run BoBII on Windows 7. He says the whole thing cost him about £50.

Aside from the additional storage media required, the "Dual Boot" set-up only requires making some settings changes in the Bios of one's computer.  Depending on what one already has on-hand, or purchases, that could vary significantly in price.  Computer Security programs and so forth must be installed of both OpSys, and periodic backup of Both OpSys will be required.  Personally, I would strongly urge not skimping on the amount of storage used.