Edited by Do335
  • Like 6

Oh, looking forward to your 1937 china flight Shrikehawk! Reckon we'd finally have some biplane action too.

Edited by Do335

already got a "preview" from your u2b feed SH :biggrin:

but I still can't believe how tight these things can turn :blink: :blink: 

Sick isn't it? And would you believe, I toned that turning ability down on some of these.

Oh, and here's another vid from 1937 (in technicolor!)

Edited by ShrikeHawk
  • Like 2

I tried out video recording today. The recording went smoothly, unlike my flying, which ended badly, thanks to not paying enough attention to the enemy...

1977, Israel:  Il-28 intercept with Kfir

• Like 3

Nice! The Hunter is a really tough opponent. Great flying. I especially love the sweeping attacks you made on the last Hunter. That's just what the doctor ordered. :clapping:

• Like 2

Been a while since I've been in the Mirage too. Crusader's Delta-Wing Mirage thread got me thinking about it.

Here's a vid with something I'm trying out: Notes!

• Like 5

Very nice "instructional"  video .. about how to fight angle fighters in a energy fighter :smile:

With plenty of "Baharav" shooting ..

• Like 2

Hey the force is strong with TK's delta wings:)

Love 'em notes Eric (cough *Sherminator* cough), they explain much better what is happening and what you're doing.

• Like 1

Nice! The Hunter is a really tough opponent. Great flying. I especially love the sweeping attacks you made on the last Hunter. That's just what the doctor ordered. :clapping:

I hate coming accross hunters.

I handle my mirage quite well against MiG 17 & 21, but I'm carefull as hell against hunters.

• Like 1

I hate coming accross hunters.

I handle my mirage quite well against MiG 17 & 21, but I'm carefull as hell against hunters.

okie didn't know that.

Recently took a bit look at the hunter flight model and it did seem to have very high lift past the buffet point (AlphaStall). but contemporary foes are afterburning frescos so maybe TK tuned it up a bit? (conspiracy theory? :blink: ....)

• Like 1

I had to look up "Israel Baharav." Very cool. Thanks for that.

I learned the "Let Him Pass" from watching interviews with Ron Ronen and Giora Epstein in an episode of the History Channel's Dogfights. Since then, I've tried it in everything from Se.5s to F-18s. It really works well.

I love the way they explain how and why the pilots do everything in Dogfights. I learned a lot that is applicable in the sim. I thought adding notes would be fun and useful, just like in Dogfights. It would be cool if video posters did that. Perhaps tactics for battling Hunters can be devised?

I'm off to go after some Hunters now. Hopefully, I'll survive. ;)

Edited by ShrikeHawk

Here we go. I tried Eight Shahaks versus Eight Jordanian Hawker Hunter F.6s. I survived.

• Like 3

Since the Hunter seemed a tough opponent, I thought I would fly the Hunter against the Mirage. Both sides had "Excellent" AI pilots. I thought I would win easily with the Hunter. It went like this...

I'm only showing the vid where I survived. In most of the engagements it ended like this...

post-26185-0-07832900-1454014613_thumb.jpg

post-26185-0-22487400-1454014627_thumb.jpg

The Mirage has an afterburner, the Hunter doesn't. The Mirage has good missiles (AIM-9E), the Hunter has none. The Hunter's turning ability is it's only advantage and it doesn't offset the Mirage's advantages. The Hunter is a terrific aircraft, but technology slowly left it behind, though I think it could win more easily against the Mig-21. To me, it seems the Mirage IIICJ is the best fighter in the skies over Israel in the late sixties.

• Like 5

The Mirage has good missiles (AIM-9E), the Hunter has none.

Indeed. As soon as I get AIM-9C/E, I am far less cautious against turning fighters and they are usually mauled out of the skies even by friendly AI.

AIM-9B being now totally useless, classic dogfights are mandatory. Not with newer missiles. 

• Like 1

Exactly. The Kfir doesn't even turn as well as the Mirage III, but that's moot since the Kfir gets the AIM-9L. It doesn't need to dogfight. It's why I still like fighting with earlier aircraft. It's puts stress on the art of dogfighting. If you're armed with AIM-9Bs, you'd better learn how to bring guns to bear. Those AIM-9Bs are little better than unguided rockets.

How about a What if scenario. How would F-8H Crusaders fare against the Mirage III? I ran lots of missions. Here's how it usually turned out.

• Like 3

Well...

Which missiles were the Cruse using?

By the way: - it's the AI, it did not really used the Mirage speed advantage and entered a turning fight. 

- The AI is a terrible, terrible shot with guns.

- I assume you had AIM-9E, or something like that, given your missile success ratio. So the fight was IMHO a little bit unfair. 

Well, it's a matchup of plane versus plane. Some carry more missiles, some less. Some are faster, some turn better. If you're being "fair" in war, you aren't trying hard enough.

In the previous match, both sides had eight fighters. Both sides carried AIM-9E Sidewinders. Both sides boasted "Excellent" pilots. That's about as "fair" as it gets.

The "player" side "should" always have the advantage, because the player "should" shoot down the enemy faster than the AI. Thus, giving the player side a numerical advantage as the fight evolves. So, in the interest of study, I switched sides and flew the Mirage III against the Crusader. In the three engagements, it typically went like this.

In engagements while flying the Crusader, I lost 2, then 4, and one time 6 wingmen even though my side still won the fight. The Mirage AI was flying well enough to get kills. In three engagements whilst flying the Mirage, I never lost more than 2 wingmen. In the vid, my entire flight returned to base unscathed. With this in mind, I would have to give the nod to the Mirage once again.

And by the way, I hope the videos are a little more steady now. My recorder was not recording very well. I switched formats and I now the video should be much smoother.

Edited by ShrikeHawk
  • Like 2