Sign in to follow this  
Pete

RAAF F18 Super Hornet

Hi Chaps

Excellent freeware chaps for FS2004 with this months PC Pilot.It auto installs as well bonus.

Picture below flying over Edwards Airforce Base.

What an absolute disgrace RAAF roundels on that overpriced heap of junk.

Edited by marlin

So its still a heap of dog turd.

Spoken like a guy who has never been around one, or seen one, or worked on one, worked with one, or flown one... Because anyone who has done even one of those things I have just laid out, has a completely different opinion.

The Super Hornet is an AWESOME tactical aircraft. That's not boasting, that is fact.

-Skater

I agree with you mate.It is an awesome flying machine.I had the pleasure a few years ago watching the navy blue angels perform.It made the Red arrows look like amatures.Not that ive got anything against The Red Arrows.

I'm not usually that fussed about USAF aviation but I do like the F18's,F15's & i musn't forget the Rockwell B1-b What a beast.

Anyway the image is freeware & it flies sweet.

Cheers Pete

Edited by Pete

Haha there is nothing a super hornet can do that an F-14 can't 10X better. MORE RANGE, MORE PAYLOAD and of course the Aim-54 need I say more.

F14's are ok A bit old.But hey I like old aircraft.If were talking classics.The Tomcat is out classed by the Sea Vixen,Hawker Hunter,EE Lightning,Avro Vulcan these are classics.

Hi Marlin

I thought seeing you like this aircraft so much.Ive been on FS2004 and done a couple more screenshots of this superb piece of freeware

Hope you like these.

All the best Pete :) :clapping: :)

Edited by Pete

Haha there is nothing a super hornet can do that an F-14 can't 10X better. MORE RANGE, MORE PAYLOAD and of course the Aim-54 need I say more.

Heh, like require 10x the maintenance time at 10x the cost.

Let's put it this way: a former F-14 pilot who now flies the Super Hornet (actually, he was involved in the test program) at SimHQ, Chunx, said he'd take the Super Bug into combat over the F-14 anyday.

You can armchair general all you want, but the guys that are THERE say it's better, and I'll take their word for it.

The Jedi Master

Okay, let's talk payload, not what and how much but how accessable it is to the Ordies to load,

1- The AIM-9's are on the wing tip you can stand upright to load them.

2- The AIM-7 and AIM-120's, At waist level, much easier than to crouch and crawl under the bird like the F-14.

3- Underwing ordnance on the F-14? are you F'ing kidding me? You get LAU's on the wing root for A2A only.

4- The Gun, servicing the M-61A1 on the Tomcat was a nightmare, on the Hornet, open the nose-pull the radar out-open the gun panel on it's belly- disconnect 4 fittings- hook up the hoist- and drop it.

5- Bomb load, I'm not going to go into every thing you can carry, but you can only mount 4 Mk80 series wepons on an F-14 and a realisitic 12 on a Super Bug.

Range- thats easy, you have 7 wet hard pionts, put a couple of drop tanks on there.

Now the AIM-54, 100 mile range all the bells and whistles. Bull!!!, The Rules of Engagement the US has forbids BVR engagements. The only AIM-54's used in anger were the ones the Iranians shot in the '80's and the kill rate wasn't that great.

I base all of the above upon 20years as an Aviation Ordnanceman in the USN. I have worked on F/A-18A thru D and the Kuwaiti '18K. I have also helped out on the F-14 from time to time when another unit was short on manpower.

Given all the things I know of the two airframes, I'll take a Bug over a 'cat anyday. The F-14 was good for what is was designed for in it's day, but it's time is past and the next generation birds are for more superior. I'd go back in a heartbeat if I was told I could push an ordnace crew in an '18 squadron.

IYAOYAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by firehawkordy

Yep Except the f-14 is doing All that from the scrap heap of history...........or it will be doing it real soon...the 18 as it is Now, is a Class Bird...

You can quote whatever you want the fact is most people in the US navy are not happy about this stituation.

Can somebody tell me if the USMC will be getting F/A-18F's? Or will they be stuck with D's?

I ask because it's the job I'm shooting for (WSO).

You can quote whatever you want the fact is most people in the US navy are not happy about this stituation.

Let's see, I'm retired from the USN and I still have friends in Hornet squadrons and other than the gripe with the brakes and normal complaints that the Line Rats make, they seem to like the bird. As I said before, from a maintainers standpoint it's a lot easier to work on and arm/de-arm than the Tomcat.

Obviously you dont read all the replies for if you did you'd see that I was not quoting, I was stating fact. I've been there/done that,have you?

I just want to know how you know the US sailors are unhappy with the Hornet. Who have you talked to. The problem child in Corrosion Control? the Non-rate who is going to spend his entire hitch in the Line Shack? or the no-load who is permanately assigned to the coffee mess. You seem to have intimate knowledge of how the Airdales feel. My opinion is that you know not of which you speak and you should give it a rest.

Snap, I think my cousin mentioned that the Marines are looking at the "D"s in a couple of years, but that may change depending on who is writing the budget. Lots of luck on being a Backseater.

Now lock this thread before it gets real ugly, you know how the Ordies and Ammo Troops like to pile on.

IYAOYAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by firehawkordy

So they're going to replace the D with the F when it gets fully deployed?

Or is the Navy going to get all of the Super Bugs?

Super Hornets are a good replacement for the old F-18 but not the Tomcat. The SH mafia got their way and the Tomcat lost, doesn't mean I have to like it.

They want to fix the SH, put better engines on it than those weak ass ones it has now. 4 fat Navy ordies could push it faster than it can fly.

(Jab at Firehawkordy :rofl: )

I've seen the flight demo for both a/c when they were new.

I like the sh better

and from talking to the pilots at airshows they like it too

Edited by DaSpungie

You obviously do not have a clue about what you are talking...

The F-14 is not even in the same class as the Superbug. The Super Hornet is hands down a MUCH better aircraft in both capability and maneuverability. The Super Hornet also has a greater payload and a greater combat radius (moot point with IFR). Survivability wise, the Super Hornet is off the scale in comparison to the F-14. And lets not forget maintenance... For every hour the F-14 flies, it needs 28 hours of maintenance time. Compare that to the less than 4 for the Super Hornet... No comparison my friend. It is cheaper to fly and maintain 4 Super Hornets than it is to fly and maintain 1 F-14.

The AIM-54 used to be the big stick on the block, but not anymore. It is not a capable missile against highly maneuverable targets. That was a major factor in the Navy retiring the missile some 10 years before they retired the F-14. The AIM-120C-4 (and later variants) are the most capable medium range missiles in the world. 94% of all engagements in the last 20 years have been in the medium to short range arena. Well inside of the AIM-54 envelope. At that point, the AIM-54 is a 1500lb. piece of ballast. The F-14 can carry 6 AIM-120's at best, the Super Hornet can carry 12 (not a very operational load, but it is possible).

Please, if you want to make jokes and uneducated comments, when doing so, put a smiley in the post. That way, no one will attempt to take you seriously. Because obviously, what you have said so far, is a complete joke.

-Skater

Again, you are talking complete nonsense. The pilots are happy, the ordies are happy, the maintenance guys are happy. Everybody is happy. The only guys I know that are a little teary eyed are the old retired F-14 pilots. Nobody I know in the Navy (And I am in the Navy, are you?) is sad to see the Turkey go. It was a great bird in it's heyday, don't get me wrong, beautiful aircraft... But it';s time is past. It's an analog aircraft in a digital world.

-Skater

Let's see, I'm retired from the USN and I still have friends in Hornet squadrons and other than the gripe with the brakes and normal complaints that the Line Rats make, they seem to like the bird. As I said before, from a maintainers standpoint it's a lot easier to work on and arm/de-arm than the Tomcat.

Obviously you dont read all the replies for if you did you'd see that I was not quoting, I was stating fact. I've been there/done that,have you?

I just want to know how you know the US sailors are unhappy with the Hornet. Who have you talked to. The problem child in Corrosion Control? the Non-rate who is going to spend his entire hitch in the Line Shack? or the no-load who is permanately assigned to the coffee mess. You seem to have intimate knowledge of how the Airdales feel. My opinion is that you know not of which you speak and you should give it a rest.

Snap, I think my cousin mentioned that the Marines are looking at the "D"s in a couple of years, but that may change depending on who is writing the budget. Lots of luck on being a Backseater.

Now lock this thread before it gets real ugly, you know how the Ordies and Ammo Troops like to pile on.

IYAOYAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I won't lock it down just yet, because it has not getten nasty. When and if it does, I'll lock it up. Up 'till now, everybody has been pretty civil. He may be wholly uninformed, but at least he's polite. :)

-Skater

The Rules of Engagement the US has forbids BVR engagements.

Where in the hell did you get this BS? If its tagged by AWACS as hostile and it is BVR.... it is going to die in a loud grotesque military manner. There have been no rules prohibiting BVR engagments since Vietnam. :rtfm:

Especailly when it comes to fleet air defense, there is no grey area.

The only AIM-54's used in anger were the ones the Iranians shot in the '80's and the kill rate wasn't that great.

USN used several in the '90 during the "No Fly Zone Enforcement" over Iraq. Missiles were used at the maximum of the envelope.....no hits.

The Iranian kill rate with AIM-54A was excellent. They even got one triple kill of MiG-23's and (at least) two double kills. Nearly all kills were against fighter-type aircraft like Mirage F.1, MiG-21/ MiG-23, Su-22 and probably one Super Etendard. Several MiG-25 kills and Tu-16/ Tu-22 was the only "big game" stuff......

Hi Chaps

I never intended this debate to get this far out of hand.I was only promoting a very good piece of freeware issued with this months PC Pilot magzine.

I don't know much about american aviation.But reading the replies in this forum

the navy boys who haved worked on both aircraft seem to prefer the F18 Hornet.

Lets face it the F14 Tomcat was good in its day but now its time to stand it down for a better bit of kit.You lads think yourself lucky you havn't got the eurofighter Typhoon

now thats a pile of crap.Slowly replacing decent aircraft like Tornado F3's.

They say thats progress but what do I Know.I drive express trains for a living.

Cheers

All the best Pete

PS Enjoy the freeware :) :clapping: :)

Edited by Pete

Oh do nto worry Pete it is all in fun and everyone is being very civil. But thank you for pointing it out. It is a great piece of freeware for sure.

Now back to the debate....

Super Hornets suck!........ :lol: