Sign in to follow this  
Flyby PC

OT Radio Listening

Anybody know of an English speaking online radio station that does some type of historical / documentary type programs?

Something like a Discovery Channel or History Channel, similar content but for radio instead of TV?

I often need to work in the evenings and the UK radio doesn't broadcast anything like this. If I stick the TV on, darn it if I don't sit down and watch it. I blink, and I've wasted a couple of hours.

Any helpful suggestions out there?

Edited by Flyby PC

I don't know of any radio programs, but there are some pretty good historical podcasts. One that comes to mind is "The History of Rome," but there are also others on the Napolonic Wars, military history, etc.

Thanks for that SteveLohr.

I'm not really up to date with podcasts, but that might just be the very thing. Good call. :drinks:

Hmmm, some good stuff out there, but lots of podcasts sound like student essays. In the nicest possible way, they're a little shallow in their content and very dull to listen to. :dntknw:

Anybody know some good dramatised WW1 themed dramas and audiobooks? Something like Journey's End by R.C. Sherriff.

Doesn't have to be WW1, but all things military have some interest. Not a great fan of fiction, but I'm flexible, and dramatised documentaries are definitely ok.

Got lots of stone to stand and dress, but I'm going through stage that all my music is boring my ears off. Must be 4GB of great tunes on my Ipod but it seems I've heard them all before, and too many times before. So I have of course, but I need something new and interesting so the old brain slips into auto pilot and I lose track of the time and do a pile of work in a blissful trance.

You know things are grim when you spend an hour and a half compiling a new playlist, and finish your database with 3 tunes ticked, and you're not even sold on them.

Oh for some decent radio...

Does all this mean I'm getting old? Bah! Humbug.

Edited by Flyby PC

Audio books are a definate possibility...Just as an example, my son always listened to the Horrible Histories audiobooks at bedtime

(not suitable for someone of your knowledge of course)...though I'm sure there will be some suitable ones on Amazon or something?..maybe even itunes?

good luck

ps: a good start for you

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_0_10?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=audio+books&sprefix=audiobooks#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=History+audio+books&rh=n%3A229816%2Ck%3AHistory+audio+books

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

WOW! Hit pay dirt if anybody is interested.

I found this site way back when MikedixonUK was telling us about his grandfather, and I did some searches through their databases.

http://www.archive.org/

It's the audio stuff that appeals to me, to listen to as I work.

I've just found 26 half hour episodes of a 1953 Australian Radio broadcast dramatisation of the Dambusters raid. I've also found the complete 24 hour radio broadcast of D-Day (don't know which station). Still downloading, so I haven't heard them yet, - it might be rubbish, but the reviews are very good!!!

I've also found some pre-war spy and secret agent drama's circa 1939. They might be fun too.

There isn't just audio archives, but all sorts of newsreels too. Mosquito's in Italy, and German Newsreels from Stalingrad etc.

Have a browse.... Free downloads too!

Looks like I'll be getting charged extra for this months downloads... I need to get back on proper broadband....

I feel like a kid in a toy shop.

One other idea-Many public libraries have audio books. You can check out what you want and listen to them on a CD player.