Sign in to follow this  
Fliegenhund

BE2c drones?

I have been flying 1915 for Jasta 1. Most craft we engage are bristol scouts and BE2c two seaters. I have downed numerous of these "drones" as they never take evasive action, nor return fire. Was this craft typically armed with a rear gunner, and why do these just fly straight and level as I pick them apart? Thanks! I am flying 120% DiD as well, not an easy mode.

According to 'Under The Guns...' (granted not the definitive work any longer) Richthofen's first scout vs. scout victory was against Hawker, #11. If you discount the DH2 as inferior to the DII then MvR didn't down a 'comparable' scout until victory #16, Lieutenant Todd of Naval 8 in a Sopwith Pup.

However, five of the two-seater victories up to that point were FE2b's, which as MvR was to experience more dramatically later, weren't a complete pushover. Moreover, although the DH2 was inferior, one of the DH2 victories was Hawker and another, whilst not truly a 'victory', may have been McCudden.

Richthofen was obviously destined to be an ace and it doesn't detract from his skill to say that he had technology on his side in those early victories. In any case, destroying two-seaters to prevent their work was the scout pilot's proper job, if the RFC sent theirs up unable to fight back, that wasn't MvR's problem.

I believe the BE2c in OFF is even more defensless than the real thing, as the observer has no weapon. You can attack them from behind with impunity.

Heh, my hero is Lanoe Hawker, six victories and dead in '16. Hardly features on the list, but an embodiment, for me, of the best of men that WW1 in the air produced. It's kinda fitting that MvR brought him down because I think they may have been quite alike.

I wouldn't want to say whether the mercurial were better than the methodical or not. Voss had an opportunity wherein he proved he was a great 'bare knuckles fighter' in the air, Richthofen had several opportunities wherein he proved he was a great methodical fighter. They both faced the same basic difficulties, in the same aircraft. And who knows what they experienced and didn't speak of? Nearly half of Voss' victories were against two seaters and I'll bet Manfred was tested against better odds.

Respect is surely due to all those early air fighters for whom staying aloft was an achievement in itself, let alone toting machine guns at each other.