Sign in to follow this  
A.Pokryshkin

R-8RM/R-30R (AA-3 Anab-A)

Has anyone had any success using these things? I have been messing around with the Su-15 and I can't hit anything with the anab. I've locked the radar, fired while level, and stayed oriented on target and the missile goes straight to the ground (read: rear on shot no maneuvering or evasive). Is this a bug? I can't find anything on the forum specific to the anab and any help would be appreciated.

It may have to do with the enemy a/c deploying countermeasures (chaff/flare). The chaff and flare are waaaaaay to effective in this game, deploying a single flare or chaff pack is sometimes enough to fool a missile. More advanced AAM's require more, but still, it can get to be frustrating when you fire four AIM-9's at a single target and not one manages to track, or tracks for a while then looses it. I experimented to see just how powerful the CMs are by making an experimental AIM-54, modeled after the AIM-54C ECCM/Sealed model. Just to test, I put the CM rejection at 1+e007. The missile is harder to fool, but indeed, I've had two or three go dumb before the third or fourth managed to track as it took the first ones to force the target to waste his CM's. To make air combat more interesting, I generally reduce the number of available chaff/flare on all aircraft to about 20, 15 or 10 even, making missiles on both sides far more deadly, and the combat more intense.

I'm not aware of any bugs with the AA-3, but if I do recall, it is an older missile, with tighter firing parameters, little CM/Noise rejection, less launch reliability and more limited maneuverability. Couple this with the over-effective CM's and that might be your problem.

-"Caesar"

Guest pdelbarba

Ive noticed that the ARAMs or whatever they are called are impervious to countermeasures. It is so much fun to watch the missile close in and the enemy piolot is frantically shooting off chaff! Muah ha ha ha!

Haha, well that's good for you at least. I haven't had such luck even with AMRAAMs, they get fooled and I get mad and then I have to satiate my anger with guns. As I said before, to deal with my own issues, I just have all a/c carry fewer countermeasures.

Guest pdelbarba

I've been thinking, Why dont any of the enemy aircraft have to deal with SAMs and flack. In the Euro terrain, they have flack guns on both sides. SAMs will generally get rid of enemy ECM. So go to your commander and tell him that the bases need sams. I am trying to mod the SAM launchers to shoot something american looking. I just dont know how to place them on the target list and scattered in the terrain.