Sign in to follow this  
Guest MrMudd

Fs2004 Video With Track Ir

Guest MrMudd

I just set up Fs2004 "A century of Flight" this weekend on my PC.

I took A Bell 206B Helicopter up around San Diego city at night with Scattered Clouds and slight Breeze comeing in from the coast.

I started the flight from San Diego International-Lindburgh Field then Flew around the buildings took a couple low level passes through the city, then off to the Bay, Checked out a Sailboat and then over to a Cruise line Ship for an Approach back at Lindburgh Field and then landed at the U.S. Coast Guard Facility.

Track IR is becomeing such an addiction that i'm no longer useing padlocks in flgiht sims and really finding what an asset the Track IR hardware is achieveing for situational awareness and immersion in flight sims.

You can grab the 4 movie files at my

ftp.chproducts.com

/pub/BioHazCentral/Microsoft FS2004

or

ftp://ftp.chproducts.com/pub/BioHazCentra...SDnHelo1of4.zip

ftp://ftp.chproducts.com/pub/BioHazCentra...SDnHelo2of4.zip

ftp://ftp.chproducts.com/pub/BioHazCentra...SDnHelo3of4.zip

ftp://ftp.chproducts.com/pub/BioHazCentra...SDnHelo4of4.zip

I can't access the page...darn.

I'm not sure what TrackIR is, though I've heard everyone talking about it. Can anyone explain what it is, and how it works?

Guest MrMudd

You will need an FTP program to pull down the files.

The Track IR device sits ontop of your monitor and bath's your face in infra red light. By placeing a reflector dot in that Field of view, like for say a hat, microphone headset, forehead, glasses etc. It will track the reflective target and input a mouse movement. in games like lomac, strike fighters, Fs2002-2004 it is used for head movement.

0925_023.jpg

So you move your head to make the screen move... wouldn't that be annoying, having to turn your head away from the screen, and have to move your eyes off center? Humans naturally move their head to the way their eyes are pointing (as opposed to simply moving the eyes in the socket, without moving the head), so this would tend to put you in an unnatural position, am I correct?

Guest MrMudd

Too be honest. It took a bit of dicipline to learn this method of rotateing the head and not the eyes, But after a week it became very natural and coordination became smoother i also have my Track Ir set at a very slow pan rate and just move my head to the area i want to check and then use my eyes to fine tune that.

I am now finding that i am uncontiously moving my head to where i want to look or anchoring it on an object. then realise. Wow im starting to get the idea of this system.

Im starting my second week with it . I cant find any use for padlock now.

FYI in LOMAC you can only padlock an object in your field of view that is under 6 miles. Also the stealth tactics will be more succesful unlike the old janes F15E and Janes F18e days where a bandit would know you were on his six by hitting padlock and turn back into you. Those days are over with with padlock. having your head on a swivel constantly will save your butt if you can see the other guy first and deploy ordnance.

I'm sure you remember your first days of padlock..and it took some dicipline and experiance to aquire the skill while manuevering an aircraft.

Track Ir will be no differnt. but it is more responsibve and will allow you to keep your hands on your hotas where they belong, and allow you to use the "HATS" for other functions

Padlock... Yeah, I used that in CFS1. However, there, it automatically did it within like 80 miles, no matter where the other plane was. Also, I had my hat set to snap views, those were nice.

OK Mr Mudd you have sold me on this track IR deal. I noticed a new version of the hardware is comming soon so I might wait until thats released.