Sign in to follow this  
serverandenforcer

IFF on hard mode using the new WOI patch

Here's one way of doing an IFF check on a target in WOI after the latest patch without doing the whole F8 cheat thing. For me, I start the mission taking off from the runway. If I already see contacts on the radar screen and Red Crown / Dark Star doesn't say anything about contacts poping up, then those contacts that I already see are friendly. Now if a new batch of contacts pop-up on the screen, and RC / DS makes an advisement, those contacts are not friendly. As you get closer to those contacts, RC / DS will eventually give an update of their status, clock position, distance, heading, and altitude. Their status as you get closer will go from bogeys to bandits. Now if you see a merge happen between the friendly contacts and the enemy contacts, and it turns into a furball, making it difficult to distinguish which was friendly and which was hostile, ask RC / DS to give the nearest contact. Pay attention to clock position, distance, heading and altitude of the target given. Also, make sure that you are already in TWS mode. If you find a contact that is the closest match to what RC / DS gave, or is spot on to what was said, that is the bandit that they were talking about. Now if that doesn't help, then you'll have to get into visual range to confirm. Also, if a contact has locked you up, and your RWR is going haywire on you, orient your fighter to that contact, and if you can find something on the radar screen that is pointed towards you and is relatively close (within 20NM), that's the guy that's tracking you... obviously hostile. So far, I've used this technique and have not yet once had a F/F incident.