Sign in to follow this  
Arrow

Opinion Please: Will WoE run on this Computer?

My 12 year old son got a glimpse of me playing WoE the other day so I gave him some stick time. Now he wants fly some co-op missions with me. He's been flying the CF-18 in FS2004 so I think he's ready to give a military flight sim a try. The problem is that my 2nd PC would be classified as a low end system; here's the spec's.

AMD Athalon 1800

1 MB SDRAM

GeForce FX 5700

SB Live 5.1

60 GB ATA 100 HD

This is above the minimum specs stated in the readme, but based on the fact that I can't fly WoV or WoE with everything set high on my mid-range system, I'm a bit skeptical. Ideally I'd like us to play WoE with a build that includes Brain32's enhanced Germany terrain, trees and farms update and the runways update. I would crank the resolution down to 800x600 if it's doable. I do still have a plain vanilla install with only the Sept 08 patch on my main computer, so if necessary I could go with that.

Has anyone here tried a Sept 2008 patched WoE on a system like this and if so could you give me some feedback?

I'd ask the same question about WoV, but my son couldn't really care less about aircaft from that era and only wants to fly the newer, flashier F-15A and CF-18...kids. :rolleyes:

My 12 year old son got a glimpse of me playing WoE the other day so I gave him some stick time. Now he wants fly some co-op missions with me. He's been flying the CF-18 in FS2004 so I think he's ready to give a military flight sim a try. The problem is that my 2nd PC would be classified as a low end system; here's the spec's.

AMD Athalon 1800

1 MB SDRAM

GeForce FX 5700

SB Live 5.1

60 GB ATA 100 HD

This is above the minimum specs stated in the readme, but based on the fact that I can't fly WoV or WoE with everything set high on my mid-range system, I'm a bit skeptical. Ideally I'd like us to play WoE with a build that includes Brain32's enhanced Germany terrain, trees and farms update and the runways update. I would crank the resolution down to 800x600 if it's doable. I do still have a plain vanilla install with only the Sept 08 patch on my main computer, so if necessary I could go with that.

Has anyone here tried a Sept 2008 patched WoE on a system like this and if so could you give me some feedback?

I'd ask the same question about WoV, but my son couldn't really care less about aircaft from that era and only wants to fly the newer, flashier F-15A and CF-18...kids. :rolleyes:

pretty similar to my system specs before I bought and installed some hardware upgrades.

the short answer is yes. But he will be running on all low graphics options which might not meet his expectations.

I have to arm wrestly my 15 and 16 year old to be able to get onto MY computer. I'm guessing that your's will end up heavily used by your son.

:biggrin:

I set my son's computer up to fly co-op missions but the same issue came up. His was set on low for everything and had a tough time keeping up.

One reminder and suggestion. the Co-op games on each computer have to be exactly the same. My recommendation is that you make a tailored co-op install for both that has only what you want and then you have to carefully keep them in synch.

pretty similar to my system specs before I bought and installed some hardware upgrades.

the short answer is yes. But he will be running on all low graphics options which might not meet his expectations.

I have to arm wrestly my 15 and 16 year old to be able to get onto MY computer. I'm guessing that your's will end up heavily used by your son.

:biggrin:

I set my son's computer up to fly co-op missions but the same issue came up. His was set on low for everything and had a tough time keeping up.

One reminder and suggestion. the Co-op games on each computer have to be exactly the same. My recommendation is that you make a tailored co-op install for both that has only what you want and then you have to carefully keep them in synch.

Hmm...well that brings up the additional question; do our screen resolutions both have to be at the same setting -i.e. 800x600- to play co-op?

I don't have a problem ommitting the 3rd party enhancements if necessary, I just wouldn't be willing to omitt the Sept 2008 patch.

Hmm...well that brings up the additional question; do our screen resolutions both have to be at the same setting -i.e. 800x600- to play co-op?

I don't have a problem ommitting the 3rd party enhancements if necessary, I just wouldn't be willing to omitt the Sept 2008 patch.

I dont' believe that is any issue. The patches and mods all have to all be the same with all of the same "stuff". But we have different video cards, monitors and other such hardware and our settings were different.

Guest Sony Tuckson

resolution is not an MP issue, it's totally transparent, each his own..